Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Creepy, amazing, or both. Discuss.
Previous  1  2

dankbar

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 11:02 pm
There are oral chemo pills already

dankbar

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 11:04 pm
I don't believe actual offspring will come of this. It is known that some keys are only held by Hashem. One of them is children.

Rappel

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 11:46 pm
So cool! All those people whom suffered from chemo can now have kids! it addresses almost all infertility issues, actually. Amazing! Baruch Hashem!

bunnyrabbit

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 2:41 am
Zehava wrote:
A- there are no devices to mimic the womb yet so I don’t see those turning into actual people anytime soon.

Yes, those were my thoughts exactly.

urban gypsy

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 10:01 am
Zehava wrote:
A- there are no devices to mimic the womb yet so I don’t see those turning into actual people anytime soon. More likely and practically these can be used to grow vital human organs saving the lives of those with organ failure.
B- say they do turn into people they’ll likely be sterile like dolly the sheep.

The womb is definitely the weak link in this problem, but just like cloning was once impossible but is now possible, science will march onward forever and I'm sure the womb and sterility will eventually be solved too.

An incredible TV show that deals with all the scientific, social, and bioethical implications of cloning is Orphan Black.... I highly recommend it

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 10:12 am
I don't have any set opinions one way or the other, I just love hypothetical ethics debates. Has anyone here watched Black Mirror on Netflix? This is right up that alley.

Really, it's just a bunch of cells. Only we can decide if they are going to be used for good or bad. People used to think that IVF was "Playing G-d", but now it is mostly accepted by mainstream people (aside from a few fringe types.)

The comments section below the article was pretty interesting. Opinions ranged from "Antichrist!" to "Hashem gave us medicine" to "Yay science!"

urban gypsy

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 10:25 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Opinions ranged from "Antichrist!" to "Hashem gave us medicine" to "Yay science!"

"Yeah Mr. White! Yeah science!" LOL Wink

Seriously, I don't understand the giant emotional response gap people have between IVF and cloning. Once you are mushing around cells in a petri dish does it really matter so much where they come from? Clones would still be grown in a womb, unless they succeed in developing an artificial one. I remember seeing some film or show where people had embryos growing in a transparent womb in their living rooms, like a fish tank. Now that is seriously next-level creepy.

Zehava

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 10:35 am
urban gypsy wrote:
The womb is definitely the weak link in this problem, but just like cloning was once impossible but is now possible, science will march onward forever and I'm sure the womb and sterility will eventually be solved too.

An incredible TV show that deals with all the scientific, social, and bioethical implications of cloning is Orphan Black.... I highly recommend it

I loved that show. Great acting. Lots sci fi there ofcourse.

urban gypsy

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 10:39 am
Zehava wrote:
I loved that show. Great acting. Lots sci fi there ofcourse.

So glad you saw it! I wish it was more well known. That actress is incredible, she plays like 10 different characters, several at the same time. The acting and CGI is a masterpiece.

newmom770

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 11:22 am
Maybe a year ago there was news about a team from ireland or scottland or someplace that are making an artificial womb. It wasnt necessarily made from human tissue, it was more like a device where you can grow the baby.

If any of these things are invented, they will be used. The people who cant have children naturally whether due to biological reaaons or due to their personal circumstances eg not married - they are not going to be the ones protesting these methods of producing chhildren.
Its people who can have children naturally who will protest and that is just selfish.

Obviously there are halchik implications. A real body will likely have a neshama unless they are like a golem?

Why would they not be fertile if every other organ of theirs works?

urban gypsy

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 11:27 am
newmom770 wrote:
Why would they not be fertile if every other organ of theirs works?

If they were infertile, it would be because of their genetics.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics