Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Heating up food baked in Pyrex -- plata?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 11:35 am
I'm cooking shepherd's pie for guests tomorrow. Recipe (never tried before) says to cook it in a 12 X 9" dish. My only fleishig dish with those dimensions, or anything close, is Pyrex. My other fleishig baking dishes are roasting pans, which I don't think would work out.

Can I heat up the Pyrex dish on a plata / warming tray?

When I google "Can I use Pyrex on a hot plate" they say not to, but they seem to be using hot plate in the "extra burner" sense rather than the "blech / plata / warming tray" sense.

What say you, imamothers?

Thank you!

Anonymous because otherwise my guests will be able to figure out my username.

colorful1

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 11:37 am
try googling if you can use on a hot warming tray. see what comes up!

colorful1

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 11:38 am
I tryed googling for you an cant see y it shouldnt work the problem with it is actual fire! if you can use in oven y shouldnt you be able to on a hot plate!

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 11:50 am
colorful1 wrote:
try googling if you can use on a hot warming tray. see what comes up!

Thanks! I tried Googlng that, and Consumer Reports steers you away from using heat just on one part of the pan, as would be the case from using a warming tray. The reason seems to be that it causes more temperature changes, and that's what modern Pyrex hates. (Modern Pyrex is the one that is labeled "pyrex" as opposed to "PYREX".)

I think I'll have to use my oval roasting pan. I'm not sure how it will turn out. The dimensions are basically okay -- high school geometry, especially computing the area of an ellipse turns out to be a useful skill! -- but it will be too deep. And it won't look good and I don't know how anyone will get pieces neatly out of the roasting pan. But better that than shattered glass.

colorful1

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 11:51 am
you cant use a disposable pan for now?

colorful1

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 11:52 am
100% true shattered glass is worse then all!!!!!!!!!!!

pesek zman

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 11:55 am
I put Pyrex in a blech. Is that the same thing?

jf

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 12:18 pm
I put Pyrex on my plata all of the time, and it never occurred to me that it's a problem. I do usually put a cookie sheet under it since it gets really hots and burns the food if I don't.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 12:38 pm
jf wrote:
I put Pyrex on my plata all of the time, and it never occurred to me that it's a problem. I do usually put a cookie sheet under it since it gets really hots and burns the food if I don't.

jf and pesekzman, how hot do you have your blech / plata?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note