Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost of seminary in israel
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 6:44 am
how much is tuition nowadays in the bais yaakov seminaries ie bnos chava, machon raayah, bya etc

abound

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 6:51 am
around 25000$ give or take, without the cost of insurance, flight tickets. spending money etc.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 6:55 am
25k?! how on earth does the average family afford it

amother
Peach

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 6:55 am
Tuition 23000, plus nonrefundable application fee. Health ins, flights, addtl school fees they find out about when they get there and need to pay in cash, like a copy of their apt key. Also, the Rav Kav card to get around. We figured 30,0000 bc dd spends some money too. We weren't far off.
Some girls save up through HS and pay for the non required things...

amother
Peach

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 6:57 am
Average family gets Pell Grant's, use other scholarships and girls pay. Schools give some scholarships. I'm sure part of the cost is covering a girl who needs a break.

IMHO its glorified summer camp in most cases. Now that dd is there this year, my opinion did not change.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:15 am
I've been out of the seminary parsha for a bit.
Serious sticker shock!

amother
Orange

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:19 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Average family gets Pell Grant's, use other scholarships and girls pay. Schools give some scholarships. I'm sure part of the cost is covering a girl who needs a break.

IMHO its glorified summer camp in most cases. Now that dd is there this year, my opinion did not change.

I’m sorry that your daughter was not serious about learning and about Judaism. Obviously seminary isn’t going to cure that. Doesn’t it concern you that a young adult treated a time to learn and grow as if she were an 8 year old at a slumber party? What did you do to try to address her lack of maturity and dedication to Judaism before she graduated from high school?

bel

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:23 am
[quote]I’m sorry that your daughter was not serious about learning and about Judaism. Obviously seminary isn’t going to cure that. Doesn’t it concern you that a young adult treated a time to learn and grow as if she were an 8 year old at a slumber party? What did you do to try to address her lack of maturity and dedication to Judaism before she graduated from high school?
SO MEAN
Every heard that if you have nothing nice to say then don't say it

happinessseeker

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:24 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
I’m sorry that your daughter was not serious about learning and about Judaism. Obviously seminary isn’t going to cure that. Doesn’t it concern you that a young adult treated a time to learn and grow as if she were an 8 year old at a slumber party? What did you do to try to address her lack of maturity and dedication to Judaism before she graduated from high school?

This is cruel. The poster was saying the seminary is like a camp. She didn’t say her daughter is acting like a camper.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:32 am
happinessseeker wrote:
This is cruel. The poster was saying the seminary is like a camp. She didn’t say her daughter is acting like a camper.

It’s not cruel. A serious learner does serious learning in seminary. Just like a serious learner does serious learning in yeshiva. Someone who doesn’t care to learn has a summer camp experience.

happinessseeker

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:40 am
It’s not cruel. A serious learner does serious learning in seminary. Just like a serious learner does serious learning in yeshiva. Someone who doesn’t care to learn has a summer camp experience.

I don’t think the main point of seminary is to “seriously learn.” Many girls go to find themselves, to discover how they are as individuals without their parents or families. Some girls go to experience healthy family relationships or to get away from dysfunctional home life. Some girls may go to learn but I think that’s not so common. And yes some girls go to have a fun experience. Is that so bad? We are talking about teenagers here. No need to shame a parent and ask what she’s doing about her daughter’s immaturity and lack of interest in religion (which is something you merely speculated.

The point I was trying to make before was that the poster was not suggesting that her daughter is immature and therefore not a good fit for a year in seminary. She said her daughter’s seminary is like a summer camp. Some seminaries are like that. And when they treat teenagers like children then yes they’ll act like that.

ora_43

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:59 am
happinessseeker wrote:
I don’t think the main point of seminary is to “seriously learn.” Many girls go to find themselves, to discover how they are as individuals without their parents or families. Some girls go to experience healthy family relationships or to get away from dysfunctional home life. Some girls may go to learn but I think that’s not so common. And yes some girls go to have a fun experience. Is that so bad? We are talking about teenagers here.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but wow, is this ever different from how I've always seen seminary.

And I went to seminary (part-time, paying my own way - it's a lot cheaper when you're Israeli). There was a lot of serious learning going on. I went in feeling like I could barely read Chumash, and came out knowing how to read the mefarshim and even get through some gemara and some of the middle ages philosophy stuff (which tends to be in Hebrew that's difficult to read). It's the reason I can sit down and open most sefarim and just start learning, on the rare occasion I manage to actually do that.

A fun experience is a good thing, but why on earth would it need to last an entire year and cost $25,000? Send your 18-year-olds to me, they can work as nannies during the day and go to Torah classes in the evening. They'll make friends, they'll experience Israel, I'll arrange for Shabbatons in a variety of lovely locations around the country in which I have friends who also desperately need babysitting... Not only will they earn money now, but long-term, it'll be like the parnassa equivalent of Scared Straight Very Happy .

(but seriously - if it's just fun, then working + fun seems like a more reasonable option. WADR to how awesome fun experiences are, there's something to be said for discovering who you are through challenges. And more importantly, for getting a small taste of what real life is like before dating for marriage.)

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 9:05 am
happinessseeker wrote:
I don’t think the main point of seminary is to “seriously learn.” Many girls go to find themselves, to discover how they are as individuals without their parents or families. Some girls go to experience healthy family relationships or to get away from dysfunctional home life. Some girls may go to learn but I think that’s not so common. And yes some girls go to have a fun experience. Is that so bad? We are talking about teenagers here. No need to shame a parent and ask what she’s doing about her daughter’s immaturity and lack of interest in religion (which is something you merely speculated.

The point I was trying to make before was that the poster was not suggesting that her daughter is immature and therefore not a good fit for a year in seminary. She said her daughter’s seminary is like a summer camp. Some seminaries are like that. And when they treat teenagers like children then yes they’ll act like that.

One of the goals should be to increase Torah learning otherwise what’s the point.

Fox

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 12:48 pm
Just a reminder that Rabbi Shmuel Fuerst, sh"lita, Dayan for Agudath Israel of the Midwest, has poskined that unless there are unusual circumstances, families receiving school scholarships for younger children may not prioritize family resources toward sending a daughter to seminary.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 12:55 pm

I was in nevey for 2 years (BT) and I remember VERY vividly how we begged the bnos chava girls to be more quiet at night. They were singing, dancing and going crazy until 2 am. We were actually there to learn (at least the girls on my floor) and we hated it. It went to far that we had to switch to a different building. I remember thinking how stupid ffb girls are because they clearly didn't appreciate the year of learning.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 12:58 pm
happinessseeker wrote:

That's funny. They're only teenagers...but expected to be married a year later and have a baby 2 years later, meanwhile behaving like teenagers.
If you want to do things grown ups do... You can't behave like a teenager. If you do, fine. Don't get married and don't have kids until you grow up then.
Don't mean you personally but those teens that you're talking about

amother
Tan

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 1:07 pm
abound wrote:
around 25000$ give or take, without the cost of insurance, flight tickets. spending money etc.

Oh, wow! That is expensive. And this is after paying for expensive elementary and high schools? And then you have to pay for college and weddings as well? And afford rent or mortgage? How do people do this?

And then there is the other side where young girls are working hard to pay for their college tuition and rent/food. I see them at my job taking Shabbos and night shifts (group homes for people with disabilities) while going to school full time. They don't get to go to an all-expense paid seminary year in Israel and many come from dysfunctional homes where there is no money so they have no choice but to fend for themselves. I am always impressed with them and the work they put in so they can have a better future and support their families.

This is like a two tiered class system in our communities, the rich/privileged who get to go to Israel and the poor/underprivileged who work hard to support themselves. No wonder there are so many problems in our communities.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 1:16 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
I was in nevey for 2 years (BT) and I remember VERY vividly how we begged the bnos chava girls to be more quiet at night. They were singing, dancing and going crazy until 2 am. We were actually there to learn (at least the girls on my floor) and we hated it. It went to far that we had to switch to a different building. I remember thinking how stupid ffb girls are because they clearly didn't appreciate the year of learning.

Hi, I also went to Neve for two years and some of the Neve girls were also up late, skipping classes, and singing and dancing! Of course I was the serious "learner" who begged to be switched to a different dorm with more serious girls like myself.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 5:29 pm

Edited to remove information about my awesome dd.

I doubt my opinion about most seminaries will negatively effect the income of those running seminaries. Please feel free to speak with HS principals, mechanecheses (mechanechot? How is this word pluralized?), seminary moros and even a few seminary grads who aren't embarrassed or otherwise unable to share their experiences and form your own opinion.

I'm sorry for all the mothers who suffer from similar comments. We are all doing our best with our girls. Please, Imas with HS girls (or boys) dont bend under the pressure, judgment or veiled comments. You're the mom, you know what's best for your own kids. That's why Hashem gave them to YOU. Do your own research. I'll happily read your opinions.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 5:34 pm
also MASA gives everyone a discount ($1000.00?)
and credits can be applied to many institutions of higher learning like Touro etc
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics