Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Question for mothers of Lakewood high school girls
  Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14 17  18  19  Next

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:49 pm
From knowing how it works your daughters elementary school has a say. Speak to them. They have the power to help you they might only have three slots so you have to convince your child school that your
Daughter is the one they should make sure gets in.

What they are trying to do this year is to not give out answers until mid summer and to put every child into a school and it will be so late that parents will just be forced to send where their child got in. It’s horrible. But it might work because Parents might not have time before school starts to get in elsewhere.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
Couldn't agree more!! I got the letter today too! So basically the vaad is going to decide my daughter's future??? A [crazy] system if u ask me? Y can't each parent apply where they think it's a good fit for their daughter? Y 4 schools?? The system is seriously not normal! Maybe if Bais faiga with 10 classes of their own would open a bank it would help this messed up situation!

The Vaad isn't deciding your child's future. They are there to help you if you want their help. If you don't, you don't have to avail yourself of their help and you don't have to follow their rules.

So if you are confident that your child will get into a certain high school, you can just apply there and done. However if you feel you may need the Vaad's help, then you have to give them options to work with. They aren't there in order to fulfill your dreams and wishes for a particular high school; they are there to try to get you into a high school, if that becomes necessary.

Not sure what you mean by your last comment. A what?

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 11:02 am
Typo! If Bais faiga would open a hs the balance of how many girls are without a school to go to would balance out.

And for the record the vaad is a bunch of baloney! When I was trying to get my son into school they did nothing to help! They only tried to convince us to go to a new school that we knew was a terrible fit for my son. And kept telling us that we shouldn't bother waiting cuz were for sure not getting in.... They were 100% wrong! We waited and eventually pushed enough till we got in to the school that's perfect for him. I wasn't impressed at all with the so called vaads "help"! They kept calling and harassing us to stop keeping our hopes up cuz were wasting our time and energy 😡 but we had to do what was best for our son!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:56 pm
amother wrote:
Typo! If Bais faiga would open a hs the balance of how many girls are without a school to go to would balance out.

And for the record the vaad is a bunch of baloney! When I was trying to get my son into school they did nothing to help! They only tried to convince us to go to a new school that we knew was a terrible fit for my son. And kept telling us that we shouldn't bother waiting cuz were for sure not getting in.... They were 100% wrong! We waited and eventually pushed enough till we got in to the school that's perfect for him. I wasn't impressed at all with the so called vaads "help"! They kept calling and harassing us to stop keeping our hopes up cuz were wasting our time and energy 😡 but we had to do what was best for our son!

Bais Faiga has such a mix of parent body at this point that they would never get a high school that would satisfy a big percentage of their parents for high school. If it was more RW, the LW would go elsewhere, if it were more center, all the RW people wouldn't want to send....one could argue that they did this already, because most of the older high schools in Lakewood were opened for girls who went to BF for elementary school, or at least for a large percentage of those girls. I can just imagine if two of Lakewoods oldest schools - BY and BK - would be told that they will no longer get girls from BF - I don't think that would go over very well. Or lets say they would say that from now on they will only take girls from BF, or other schools that existed when they opened - that would raise a hue and cry! Ain't gonna make anyone happy....

Yes, the Vaad isn't in the business of getting people into the school they want. They are in the business of getting people into a school, whichever one will take them most easily. So if you can do it without the Vaad's help, no one is forcing you to play by their rules. But for those who need the Vaad, it's good that they exist to get kids into school.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
From knowing how it works your daughters elementary school has a say. Speak to them. They have the power to help you they might only have three slots so you have to convince your child school that your

What they are trying to do this year is to not give out answers until mid summer and to put every child into a school and it will be so late that parents will just be forced to send where their child got in. It’s horrible. But it might work because Parents might not have time before school starts to get in elsewhere.

If the mid-summer response is not exaggerated, I'm curious.

Will anyone be accepted to multiple schools?

If yes, how do they know how many slots are actually filled and how many remain open?

How much time will parents have to decide?

What happens when families are away on vacation and don't read their mail daily?

Sounds like they are asking to start the school year late and sounds like it will be super stressful for everyone, especially this that don't get in on the first round.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:32 am
amother wrote:

1. This only works if your dd's elementary school doesn't have a high school. If they do then the principals not only won't help you but from asking around I've heard that they may actually be an obstacle.

2. Where did the info from that second paragraph come from? I've asked around IRL and nobody knows what you're talking about.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 10:54 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I just read it. It made my stomach drop. For people like me with no pull, no extra money to toss to the wind, and my dd being the oldest, the only thing I can do is daven. I'm sure He has a plan for her!

It makes three of us , plus we’re Bts Very Happy
Beh, your girl and mi e and everyone’s should get in where’s best for them, easily and bekovod!

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 12:38 pm
when are answers going out?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:10 pm
Any answers went out yet?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:49 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Any answers went out yet?

I heard this week but don’t know anyone who got

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 12:48 am
Do you know which schools are sending letters this week?

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 4:47 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Do you know which schools are sending letters this week?

I don’t but if the women on here can keep everyone posted it would be helpful especially since the schools don’t want the girls talking.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 4:53 pm
Any news?

groisamomma

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 5:12 pm
None yet as far as I know...

groisamomma

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 1:53 pm
Just spoke to an elementary principal. They are working hard to place as many girls as possible and hoping letters will go out by Shavuos. Just thought I'd update. If anyone hears anything else please share.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:12 pm
I heard something similar but have so many questions...
Are girls being placed in schools that are one of their 4 choices? Who is deciding which school the girl should get into? Are girls going to get into multiple schools or are they eliminating that this year by making sure each girl is in ONE school. What if none of the 4 schools want me daughter- does that mean she will be placed in a school that I didn’t choose and will I be forced to send there?

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:44 pm
Not sure when we are getting answers so can't help with that!
But keep in mind....
Most schools are great! Whatever you think make sure to let your daughter know that everything is bashert and you will be very happy wherever she's accepted!
It might sound like weird advice but I really believe that the girls that are miserable is because they have their eyes set on one high school and NO OTHER!!!
I know they're not all the same but most could work with every girl!
(Doesn't mean you won't try to get in elsewhere if it's not a good choice but your daughter doesn't need to know that!)

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 4:48 pm
Thank you another babyblue for your voice of reason!

Bh I have not expressed these thoughts to my daughter- she wonders why I am so calm! I have a lot of inner turmoil coupled with sleepless nights and lots of tefila! I do believe that it will iyh all work out okay, but my heart bleeds not just for my daughter but for all the beautiful 8th graders who may have to endure untold amounts of shame, worry, and hurt once the results come back.

Cry me a river!

Notsobusy

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:32 pm
[quote="amother [ Babyblue ]
It might sound like weird advice but I really believe that the girls that are miserable is because they have their eyes set on one high school and NO OTHER!!!
[/quote]

I know people who in the past did not get into ANY high school. I really hope that if they're waiting until so late that means they aren't letting that happen this year.

I also know people who got into a high school and it wasn't the one they wanted and they made everybody crazy for months. But we can't disregard the pain of the people who really didn't get in anywhere.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:38 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
That's a lie

I received a letter a few years ago..

Dear Mrs H?

Thgank you for your interest in Bk.
Etc....

Unfortunately. Due to space constraints we are unable to accept ... At this time
We wish you much hatzlacha

I'm sorry you were hurt, but it is extremely harsh to say "that's a lie." How about "you are mistaken" or "my experience tells a different story."
Page 13 of 19   Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14 17  18  19  Next Recent Topics