Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Book of the Month of May: Memoirs of Gluckel of Hameln
1  2  Next

youngishbear

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:25 pm
If anyone has puchase links or PDFs*, you can post them here.

*Shouldn't the copyright be expired by now?

gingertop

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:29 pm
Great book choice! I think the translation is what's copyrighted.

youngishbear

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 3:31 pm
gingertop wrote:
Great book choice! I think the translation is what's copyrighted.

That makes sense.

tigerwife

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 4:02 pm
I’ve found it on thriftbooks.com for around $4.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 4:21 pm
I do most of my reading on Shabbos but if you have time during the week, here it is as a free download: https://www.nwcbooks.com/get/e.....el9YC

Raisin

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 4:30 pm
great book!

Coke Slurpee

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 5:23 pm
Thriftbooks doesn't have any more copies cheap Crying

SuperWify

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 6:30 pm
Ooh read this years ago! I really loved it. So fascinating to read how Jews kept strong their traditions years ago.
*warning spoiler alert* I remember reading at the end of her DH life and asked if she could “make him more comfortable” ie touch him and he refused because she was Nidda. It was so beautiful to read how these laws we keep nowadays were kept then and they weren’t easy then either!

Maybe I can dig up a copy from somewhere.

Reality

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 6:35 pm
Just put it on hold. I read it many years ago and looking forward to re-reading. Thanks!

Reality

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 6:36 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Ooh read this years ago! I really loved it. So fascinating to read how Jews kept strong their traditions years ago.
*warning spoiler alert* I remember reading at the end of her DH life and asked if she could “make him more comfortable” ie touch him and he refused because she was Nidda. It was so beautiful to read how these laws we keep nowadays were kept then and they weren’t easy then either!

Maybe I can dig up a copy from somewhere.

Yes. That part was so sad. I remember crying over it!

sushilover

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:21 pm
As she started marrying off her children, I felt like she came off as so greedy and money hungry. She spent a disproportionate amount of time detailing the amount of money she gave as a dowry and how much money she negotiated from her children's in laws.

On the other hand, in those days a good dowry was basically the only way to start your children off on the right foot in life. I wouldn't think of a modern woman as money hungry if she proudly listed her children's colleges and degrees.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:28 pm
My highschool made a play of it. You can get it on temima.org

Reality

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 8:38 pm
sushilover wrote:
As she started marrying off her children, I felt like she came off as so greedy and money hungry. She spent a disproportionate amount of time detailing the amount of money she gave as a dowry and how much money she negotiated from her children's in laws.

On the other hand, in those days a good dowry was basically the only way to start your children off on the right foot in life. I wouldn't think of a modern woman as money hungry if she proudly listed her children's colleges and degrees.

She did talk about money a lot. She was a hard working business women. Don't people still talk a lot about money?

Also, the wording of your post rubs me the wrong away. Maybe think twice before writing how greedy she seems. Is this a public thread?Can outsiders read that you felt a jewish woman came across as money hungry?

SuperWify

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:03 pm
Reality wrote:
Yes. That part was so sad. I remember crying over it!

Yes and it was amazing for me to read as a teenage girl. I had heard read and knew about TH but obviously it was never spoken about and I had no real experience. This made it so real to me. Like wow, they did it then and they are doing it now!

SuperWify

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 11:03 pm
sushilover wrote:

Guess some things never change What

Mommyg8

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:01 am
Ooh, I'm in! I must have read this book multiple times! Wow, I don't catch the reference to her "making him comfortable" - I guess I was just that much more naive and innocent then!

I thought that the money part was just the way people spoke in those days. Like someone else mentioned, like how many degrees you have etc. Their lives were very different.

Does anyone remember the story where she wanted some kind of fruit when she was pregnant and then she gave birth and the baby was sickly and she gave him the fruit and he got better? Does that story evrn make sense ?

gamanit

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 3:03 pm
https://www.isbns.net/isbn/9780805205725/

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 6:50 pm
I remember reading this as a teen, but I never managed to finish the whole book because I got bogged down by the technical details included halfway through.

Excited to finish it this time around.

Reality

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 4:21 pm
Anyone else finished it yet?

I enjoyed re-reading it. What a strong woman!!

Reality

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 4:23 pm
I also felt the yeridos hadoros when reading her story. She really conveyed a feeling of Hashem was with her in all her pursuits no matter how mundane!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room