Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What’s the worst children’s book you have read?
  1  2  3  10  11  12  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:06 pm
I like reading children’s book
I think Shelia the great was a terrible book written by Judy Blume
My daughter liked the book

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:08 pm
Hansel and Gretel!

pesek zman

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:12 pm
I’m not a fan of A Cat in the Hat (why are children being shown a story about letting strangers into the home and not to tell Mom?) or classics like 3 little pigs or Goldilocks. I think they all impart odd messages

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:14 pm
As a kid I used to be creeped out by the story of Snow White. Especially the part where she looked dead lying on a bed that looked like a coffin.

TriAspora

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:15 pm
The Last Battle (last of Narnia books). The author just kills off most of his characters in a train crash, probably because he was sick and tired of them. Very disturbing.

Einikel

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:17 pm
The Jewish book, The Shabbos Treats that Grew by Mayer Bendet the pictures were really frightening.

Rappel

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:17 pm
There's an Israeli book about Tu Bshvat, where you get to meet all these cute fruits, with personalities, that the little boy is buying in the market. The last page is literally "the next day, the boy got up, took out his baggie, and ate all of them."

They were reading this in gan, and I'm just like Confused What did I just hear????

gingertop

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:28 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
As a kid I used to be creeped out by the story of Snow White. Especially the part where she looked dead lying on a bed that looked like a coffin.

And then prince charming comes and kisses this dead girl which I always found creepy. But at least it brought her back to life I guess.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:29 pm
I've found it weird that in so many children's books, the parents are either dead or criminally incompetent.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:37 pm
some book we had as kids which started with 3 children deciding to blow up thier house with parents in it. I can't recall the rest of the plot, but do remember it was actually written by a teenager, not too surprisingly.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:38 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I've found it weird that in so many children's books, the parents are either dead or criminally incompetent.

That is a common feature of children's books. It gives them more independance or something.

daagahminayin

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:50 pm
TriAspora wrote:
The Last Battle (last of Narnia books). The author just kills off most of his characters in a train crash, probably because he was sick and tired of them. Very disturbing.

I think it was part of the Christian message C.S. Lewis was trying to impart in the Chronicles of Narnia. He ended the series with what he imagined life after death would be like.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:57 pm
Raisin wrote:
That is a common feature of children's books. It gives them more independance or something.

I know it's super common and the reason for it, and obviously it's the sort of thing we only notice once we're adults. It's still weird though when you think about just how pervasive it is.

Reminds me of the old joke: what's the most dangerous thing you can do in a Disney movie? Become a parent LOL

dancingqueen

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:59 pm
I know you asked about books but as a parent of young children, I realize that the Disney movies are actually quite scary.

TriAspora

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 1:00 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
I think it was part of the Christian message C.S. Lewis was trying to impart in the Chronicles of Narnia. He ended the series with what he imagined life after death would be like.

I know, but Narnia is not the only book written by a devout Christian and it's still highly unusual to end a children's book in a blood bath of main characters. I found it very creepy.

Rappel

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 1:04 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I know you asked about books but as a parent of young children, I realize that the Disney movies are actually quite scary.

Right??? I turned on Fantasia when I was very sick before Pesach (my children never watch a screen, even YouTube, except for video calls with family). I ended up fast-forwarding through many sections of it. I didn't remember it being that scary!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 1:06 pm
"The Giving Tree" is the worst book I've ever read. It sends a horrible message.

Rappel

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 1:09 pm
TriAspora wrote:
I know, but Narnia is not the only book written by a devout Christian and it's still highly unusual to end a children's book in a blood bath of main characters. I found it very creepy.

Yet, Narnia was meant be a direct theological mashal, I think. Themes like the Emperor Over the Sea, Aslan, innocent children, and the stone table make that very clear.

I agree it was creepy. The whole Tash thing was very creepy. But Christian theology is pretty creepy, so it goes together.

Boca00

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 1:13 pm
All the Grimm fairy tales are freaky.

As a kid I was petrified of the book Home Alone.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 1:14 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
"The Giving Tree" is the worst book I've ever read. It sends a horrible message.

What's the horrible message of the Giving Tree?

ETA: Asks the Oak Very Happy
Page 1 of 12   1  2  3  10  11  12  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children