Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What’s the worst children’s book you have read?
  Previous  1  2  3   10  11  12  Next

daagahminayin

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 4:17 pm
Love you forever - found it creepy but only read it as an adult. Not sure how it feels to be a child and read it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 4:21 pm
I’m the old movie bambies Mother dies
I’m the new Mary Poppins returns
The mother is no longer alive
I still remember the scene in Chitty chitty bang where kids are caged
And Oliver when he is starving and ask
“Can I please have some more “ for mush

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 4:24 pm
Berenstein bears - alot of the books poke fun of papa bear and don't give him respect. I don't like giving that message over to children.
Curious George - all books have him do something wrong, but somehow in the end he saves the day and all is good (feel it gives over the message that it was ok what he did since in the end it all ended well and he was a hero)

dancingqueen

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 4:30 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Berenstein bears - alot of the books poke fun of papa bear and don't give him respect. I don't like giving that message over to children.

Really? I didn’t notice, and dh reads them to the kids and doesn’t seem bothered lol.

kalsee

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 4:35 pm
I dislike so many children's books Smile

one that comes to mind now is the runaway rabbit.
For heaven's sake, mom, leave him alone! It's creepy and co-dependent.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 4:41 pm
Curious George - all books have him do something wrong, but somehow in the end he saves the day and all is good (feel it gives over the message that it was ok what he did since in the end it all ended well and he was a hero)

I know it's kind of a popular stereotype that Papa Bear gets dumped on, but we have almost all the books (most of them the actual copies that were mine growing up) and I'd say really, about 40% of the time, Papa is the one who comes up with the wise solution. Just off the top of my head, The Slumber Party, The Messy Room, and Too Much Pressure feature Papa talking Mama down from the ledge and figuring out a reasonable solution to the problem.

gingertop

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 4:44 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I know it's kind of a popular stereotype that Papa Bear gets dumped on, but we have almost all the books (most of them the actual copies that were mine growing up) and I'd say really, about 40% of the time, Papa is the one who comes up with the wise solution. Just off the top of my head, The Slumber Party, The Messy Room, and Too Much Pressure feature Papa talking Mama down from the ledge and figuring out a reasonable solution to the problem.

Too Much Junk Food has the kids discovering Papa Bear raiding the pantry and grabbing him away. There were others as well but they don't come to mind right now.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 4:56 pm
gingertop wrote:
Too Much Junk Food has the kids discovering Papa Bear raiding the pantry and grabbing him away. There were others as well but they don't come to mind right now.

I didn't say Papa never looks foolish, just that it's not as widespread as is popular belief. Yes, Junk Food is one of them, Too Much TV is another. But it's not nearly in every book, and there are also a fair amount of stories where neither parent is particularly foolish nor particularly wise (such as The Sitter). Point is, there are still a ton of Berenstain Bears books that do not feature Incompetent Papa if it really bothers you that much.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:11 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Love you forever - found it creepy but only read it as an adult. Not sure how it feels to be a child and read it.

Thank you! So many people I know love this book, and I get so creeped out. For the record, a kid having it read to them saw the last picture and asked, "Why is he holding her like that? She's an old lady."

ectomorph

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:15 pm

I wish I knew who u r. I totally agree and want to discuss w you

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:18 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
"The Giving Tree" is the worst book I've ever read. It sends a horrible message.

yes yes yes.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:23 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
"The Giving Tree" is the worst book I've ever read. It sends a horrible message.

And the picture of the author on the back is enough to give anyone nightmares. Surprised

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:23 pm
Not that it makes it any less creepy, but Love You Forever actually has a really tragic story behind it. The author wrote it as a tribute to his stillborn child. Crying

Sunny Days

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:26 pm
Agree about curious George. I also dislike the Arthur series because I feel like the point of many of the books are just him getting back at D.W. Or vice versa.

librarygirl

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:27 pm
Not the worst book ever, but Babar is WEIRD!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:30 pm
The Golden Compass, frightening message for kids, and I read as a young adult.

ETA didnt see ectomorph's post about curious george, and I agree about Berenstain bears too. The originals are so heavily Christian... why do they mock the father through the books?

Curious George books send awful messages about following instructions and having no consequence for your actions. And "If you give a mouse a cookie" books- just dont give the animal anything, as he will wreck your house.

BH today children are properly medicated. Who will be left for the next generation to write books about? (Tongue in cheek)

cnc

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:33 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
The Golden Compass, frightening message for kids, and I read as a young adult.

Curious George books send awful messages about following instructions and show no consequence for your actions. And "If you give a mouse a cookie" books- just dont give the animal anything, as he will wreck your house.

BH today children are properly medicated. Who will be left for the next generation to write books about? (Tongue in cheek)

LOL

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:36 pm
Oh, I HATE the Yael books. New Shoes? Spoiled child, focusing on clothes, high heels and wedding parties. Nothing in the shoe store is good enough for our princess. Maybe I'm out of touch, but those aren't my values.

Cheshire cat

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:37 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Thank you! So many people I know love this book, and I get so creeped out. For the record, a kid having it read to them saw the last picture and asked, "Why is he holding her like that? She's an old lady."

Are you referring to the book by Munsch?

There is a disclaimer in the book that it is meant for a mature reader- don't remember how it is phrased exactly.

I didn't realize either, and checked it out from the library. My third grade daughter was so disturbed by it.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:45 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:

Why do you find it creepy?
Page 2 of 12   Previous  1  2  3   10  11  12  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children