Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Please explain it to me, another mmr post
Previous  1  2  3  4

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 3:01 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
And my poor little nephew who is holed up in the ICU after a torturous week with measles and needs to be on oxygen. He is too young for the vaccine but caught it from an unvaccinated child that was. Not. Kept. Home. On yontiff.

and you know what the worst part is???
That most of the frum people who end up in the hospital with measles complications are vaccine-compliant households, with teh patient being too young for the shot, and they are treated like lepers, like filthy untouchable people -- when these patients' parents are responsible people who vaccinate their kids, and through the irresponsbility of the "It's not my problem that there are some people whose bodies can't handle measles" folk, those kids and families are being treated like pieces of garbage in teh hospital. Shameful.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 3:30 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
and you know what the worst part is???
That most of the frum people who end up in the hospital with measles complications are vaccine-compliant households, with teh patient being too young for the shot, and they are treated like lepers, like filthy untouchable people -- when these patients' parents are responsible people who vaccinate their kids, and through the irresponsbility of the "It's not my problem that there are some people whose bodies can't handle measles" folk, those kids and families are being treated like pieces of garbage in teh hospital. Shameful.

Absolutely on point.

Her toddler has been vaccinated on schedule but this one was too young. In the interim, said relative enjoyed a relaxing Pesach at the in laws and got away with the sought after ‘immunity for life’ and exposed this young infant. It has truly been a horrible week for my brother and his already frail, underweight baby but I guess on the upside, he will now be ‘immune for life too.’

Never mind that my very immunocompromised mother was around this child, and then was around my very very immunocompromised elderly grandmother.
May Hashem protect them all.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 4:02 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Yes. This is where the whole vaccine plan has messed up really badly. This could have been avoided had these pg women had measles as children. They would subsequently also be able to protect their infants via breastfeeding and the worry of "under a yr and can't be vaccinated" would not exist.

Or they'd be dead. One of the two. I mean, hey, someone's gotta die, right. And we Jews have a lot of kids. What's one or two more or less.

Quote:
Olivia, my eldest daughter, caught measles when she was seven years old. As the illness took its usual course I can remember reading to her often in bed and not feeling particularly alarmed about it. Then one morning, when she was well on the road to recovery, I was sitting on her bed showing her how to fashion little animals out of coloured pipe-cleaners, and when it came to her turn to make one herself, I noticed that her fingers and her mind were not working together and she couldn’t do anything.

“Are you feeling all right?” I asked her.

“I feel all sleepy,” she said.

In an hour, she was unconscious. In twelve hours she was dead.

The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her. That was twenty-four years ago in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction from measles as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help her.

On the other hand, there is today something that parents can do to make sure that this sort of tragedy does not happen to a child of theirs. They can insist that their child is immunized against measles. I was unable to do that for Olivia in 1962 because in those days a reliable measles vaccine had not been discovered. Today a good and safe vaccine is available to every family and all you have to do is to ask your doctor to administer it.

It is not yet generally accepted that measles can be a dangerous illness. Believe me, it is. In my opinion parents who now refuse to have their children immunized are putting the lives of those children at risk. In America, where measles immunization is compulsory, measles, like smallpox, has been virtually wiped out.

Here in Britain, because so many parents refuse, either out of obstinacy or ignorance or fear, to allow their children to be immunized, we still have a hundred thousand cases of measles every year. Out of those, more than 10,000 will suffer side effects of one kind or another. At least 10,000 will develop ear or chest infections. About 20 will die.

LET THAT SINK IN.

Every year around 20 children will die in Britain from measles.

So what about the risks that your children will run from being immunized?

They are almost non-existent. Listen to this. In a district of around 300,000 people, there will be only one child every 250 years who will develop serious side effects from measles immunization! That is about a million to one chance. I should think there would be more chance of your child choking to death on a chocolate bar than of becoming seriously ill from a measles immunization.

So what on earth are you worrying about? It really is almost a crime to allow your child to go unimmunized.

The ideal time to have it done is at 13 months, but it is never too late. All school-children who have not yet had a measles immunization should beg their parents to arrange for them to have one as soon as possible.

Incidentally, I dedicated two of my books to Olivia, the first was James and the Giant Peach. That was when she was still alive. The second was The BFG, dedicated to her memory after she had died from measles. You will see her name at the beginning of each of these books. And I know how happy she would be if only she could know that her death had helped to save a good deal of illness and death among other children.

(Roald Dahl, in 1986)

https://www.roalddahl.com/roal.....-1962

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 4:38 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Absolutely on point.

Her toddler has been vaccinated on schedule but this one was too young. In the interim, said relative enjoyed a relaxing Pesach at the in laws and got away with the sought after ‘immunity for life’ and exposed this young infant. It has truly been a horrible week for my brother and his already frail, underweight baby but I guess on the upside, he will now be ‘immune for life too.’

Never mind that my very immune compromised mother was around this child, and then was around my very very immune compromised elderly grandmother.
May Hashem protect them all.

I hate to break this to you but if the infant is under a year old, I dont know if measles will even give him / her lifelong immunity. Sad

yerushamama

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 4:38 pm
All of my children were vaccinated, more or less on time (sometimes delayed due to fever etc), and several of them got rubella type viruses FROM THE VACCINE. I still believe that it is safer to vaccinate, but people need to be aware that in the first several days after a vaccine ( I don't remember how long) the child is carrying a contagious virus - this is true of all live vaccines - and one must be careful around anyone who is unvaccinated or immunocompromised.

youngishbear

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 4:46 pm
yerushamama wrote:
All of my children were vaccinated, more or less on time (sometimes delayed due to fever etc), and several of them got rubella type viruses FROM THE VACCINE. I still believe that it is safer to vaccinate, but people need to be aware that in the first several days after a vaccine ( I don't remember how long) the child is carrying a contagious virus - this is true of all live vaccines - and one must be careful around anyone who is unvaccinated or immunocompromised.

The polio vaccine used to contain a live virus. Once the disease was under control due to vaccination, the data began showing that the only new polio cases were from the vaccine itself, albeit extremely rare. They switched to the weaker version, which is not as effective, but if the polio virus is almost eradicated, the risk/benefit analysis comes down on the side of weaker vaccines. But lower immunization rates could change that chv.

(Source: Dr. Rabbi Tatz on simpletoremember.com)

yerushamama

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 4:56 pm
Here (in Israel) they have gone back to giving the live vaccine.

youngishbear

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:03 pm
yerushamama wrote:
Here (in Israel) they have gone back to giving the live vaccine.

Is polio a concern in Israel now?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:18 pm
youngishbear wrote:

Polio cases have turned up in sewage in countries neighboring Israel, like Egypt. Polio is still endemic in Pakistan.

When my oldest iy"h goes to Israel for gap year in a couple of years, I'm going to discuss booster shots for polio with our health care providers.

(Edited to correct mistakes. There are no recent cases of polio in Egypt.)

gingertop

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:37 pm
youngishbear wrote:

There haven't been any cases but the virus was found during routine checks of sewage in Bedouin areas in Southern Israel approximately five years ago. At that time, they encouraged parents to do the OPV, which is live.
More recently, there have been actual cases in Syria, which is very close to Israel's northern border.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics