Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What’s the worst children’s book you have read?
  Previous  1  2  3  4 10  11  12  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:46 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:
Are you referring to the book by Munsch?

There is a disclaimer in the book that it is meant for a mature reader- don't remember how it is phrased exactly.

I didn't realize either, and checked it out from the library. My third grade daughter was so disturbed by it.

There's a board book version.

It sounds like both younger and older, mature readers are disturbed.

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:48 pm
Curious George, Amelia Bedelia and Clifford are all the same. One little good deed overrides all bad actions.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 6:24 pm
Always hated Judy Blume-- her books are obsessed with bathroom (toilet) stuff.

I read a horrible book when I was maybe 10, called On My Honor, about 2 friends who sneak out swimming in a nearby river, 1 drowns and the other is too scared to tell anybody (maybe because he accidentally caused it, I don't remember) but of course it gets found out.

Some bizarre book called A Simple Touch of Affection, iirc, about sibling early teens becoming s*xually attracted to each other because they just didn't know how to handle their hormones and their parents didn't model healthy affectionate touch because they wouldn't touch each other in front of their kids. (And before people rush to condemn recently written books and how low standards have fallen, it was written in the 70s, probably.)

I have no problem with Berenstain Bear books. I am confident that kids can differentiate between any silly portrayal of papa bear and their own father. It always amuses me when people get on their soapbox about this.

flmommy

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 6:30 pm
Most of the PJ library books.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 6:34 pm
My kids had to do book reports from a series called Flat Stanley. The kid is flat because a billboard fell on him. He didn't die. But he's now 2 dimensional. Can't Believe It Moronic.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 6:37 pm
flmommy wrote:

Yes. Almost every one. I remember several years ago getting one about a family celebrating Tishrei and they did Tashlich together in the bathroom. Banging head

SuperWify

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 6:38 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
My kids had to do book reports from a series called Flat Stanley. The kid is flat because a billboard fell on him. He didn't die. But he's now 2 dimensional. Can't Believe It Moronic.

I love flat Stanley! We read it in school with my students.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 6:41 pm
MiracleMama wrote:

I was going to say the Flat Stanley books too! That's actually the first book that came to mind. But when I googled it it seems to be a whole series and project now.

flmommy

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 6:55 pm

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:04 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Always hated Judy Blume-- her books are obsessed with bathroom (toilet) stuff.

I read a horrible book when I was maybe 10, called On My Honor, about 2 friends who sneak out swimming in a nearby river, 1 drowns and the other is too scared to tell anybody (maybe because he accidentally caused it, I don't remember) but of course it gets found out.

Some bizarre book called A Simple Touch of Affection, iirc, about sibling early teens becoming s*xually attracted to each other because they just didn't know how to handle their hormones and their parents didn't model healthy affectionate touch because they wouldn't touch each other in front of their kids. (And before people rush to condemn recently written books and how low standards have fallen, it was written in the 70s, probably.)

I have no problem with Berenstain Bear books. I am confident that kids can differentiate between any silly portrayal of papa bear and their own father. It always amuses me when people get on their soapbox about this.

I really appreciated On My Honor as a kid! Very emotional and thought provoking.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:08 pm
my kid yeshivah printed out pictures of FlAT STANLEY and gave it out to parents
grandparents etc to take pictures of them selves with the flat stanley cut outs on vacation .
they made a buLLutin board on the wall showing themsleves all over the world in different locations with the flat stanley picture s.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:09 pm
Omg, I also don't get Flat Stanley, but my kids love those books. I agree about Amelia Bedelia never facing consequences for messing everything up just because she's a great baker, but I have to say that the Amelia Bedelia series is tops for teaching kids about idioms. Especially if you have very literal minded kids.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:10 pm
you can google Obama holding a Flat stanley ,

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:13 pm
MiracleMama wrote:

The point isn't how it happened, but the adventures that he can have because he's flat. Great book, imnsho.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:13 pm
Where The Wild Things Are.
This is an award winning book, but I thought it was dreadful. It scared me when I was a kid and I couldn’t sleep if it was in my room.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:14 pm
MiracleMama wrote:

Flat Stanley wasn't a series when I was a kid, just a fanciful book...and the reason that to this day I don't hang anything over my bed, lol.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
you can google Obama holding a Flat stanley ,

You can find almost anyone holding Flat Stanley. Except Nomar Garciapara, who didn't return ours.

runninglate

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:22 pm
As a child, I was freaked out by the book Eli and the Little White Lie. I would never read that to my kids. I much prefer Curious George who is cute and mischievous. I think people who object to it are overthinking. 😀

Einikel

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:27 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
You can find almost anyone holding Flat Stanley. Except Nomar Garciapara, who didn't return ours.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 7:27 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Where The Wild Things Are.
This is an award winning book, but I thought it was dreadful. It scared me when I was a kid and I couldn’t sleep if it was in my room.

Another book we love. His mother brought him his dinner. And it was still hot. Heart
Page 3 of 12   Previous  1  2  3  4 10  11  12  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children