Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
If you had just a few hours in Chicago...
Previous  1  2

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 7:54 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Emma's is a really nice, big milchig restaurant, well priced. It's also a few blocks away from Westfield old orchard- a beautiful outdoor mall with a feeling of strolling the streets of Italy, (think cobble stones, benches, little water bridge, fountain...)and also has an outdoor playground for your toddler.

I would probably do something like this

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 1:27 am
Thanks for the advice everyone! Getting excited!

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:57 pm
I’m from Chicago...I wouldn’t recommend shallots with a toddler. It’s not a kid friendly restaurant. Milts is closer to downtown but also on the pricier side and a limited menu but is very tasty. Traffic down town and near the airport can be horrendous! Don’t underestimate it. Rush hour can start around 3! Also which airport are you flying into? Midway or ohare? That can make a difference in terms of timing too.
If it’s nice out, downtown is a great place to go: walk along Lake Michigan, there are parks there, millennium park, Maggie Daley park, the bean, magnificent mile, or even Lincoln park zoo which is free

Fox

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 5:18 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
I would visit Fox

Omg! This is the nicest thing ever!

Yup, Ectomorph and I usually get together when she's in town, though I stood her up this last time.

I would love to meet you, OP! PM me and let me know when you're coming!

Here's what I would recommend for an 8-hour stay in Chicago:

* Rent a car or take an Uber from the airport (ORD?) to Emma's in Skokie. Family-friendly milchig with a huge menu. Eat, relax, and get snacks to take along.

* If you have a car and enjoy that kind of thing, there's a lot of shopping near Emma's. Unfortunately, the same chain stores you find everywhere, but accessible nevertheless.

* If the weather is nice, head down to the Lincoln Park Zoo. It's free (though parking is extra), so you don't feel like you need to get your money's worth. You can enjoy as much or as little zoo as you feel up to. You'll also get a nice view of the lakefront without the tourist trap of Navy Pier.

* If the weather isn't nice, consider the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum. It's geared for slightly older kids, but they have a butterfly garden that's a lot of fun and lots of hands-on activities. Admission is $9 for adults; kids under 3 are free. Or head in the opposite direction to the Kohl Children's Museum, right off the highway in Glenview. Admission is $13 each for kids and parents.

These are all activities that can be easily cut short if your toddler gets tired or if you lose your energy. Take your snacks from Emma's and head back to O'Hare.

queen esther

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 9:36 pm
Also agree on Emma's being a great place. Or Great Chicago if you want fast food fleishig. If weather nice, Maggie Daley park has great view of Lake, downtown, is beautifully laid out and has really cute toddler areas. They have a paid parking garage there I think. Also I second the Nature museum, also good idea for inside that's not just boring museum.
Lincoln Park zoo is good, pretty to walk around, there is a kids zoo and also a farm in the zoo but can't go to farm part if kohanim.
You can ride the ferris wheel at Navy Pier... For about $20/ ticket (estimate)
Kohl's children's museum good idea for rainy kid activity, about 12$ a person though. But cute place. Skokie exploratorium is not exactly tourist material but close to Emma's too and if short on time or in a pinch if its raining is a fun, small, low key kids play space for cheap that you don't have to spend a long time in and you can relax. Have to check hours though.

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 10:58 pm
chalavi pizza is a great decent priced option for a milchig restaurant. Nice selection and great salad bar and ice cream bar.

For all those claiming Shallots to be too expensive - my brother taught us a great tip: Ask for the bar menu. It is a separate menu with a very nice selection of fast food type foods on a much nicer and Shallots type scale. For example, they have different types of burgers with chili, fried pastrami, etc, steak fries with truffle oil, chili fries, steak and chicken salads, various wraps, soups and other sides...all very decently priced, and DEFINITELY cheaper than their main menu. We went with four adults, each got a main, a side, and a couple shared sides and we spent $80 total.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics