Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
All Your Aliyah Questions - Wisdom and Advice
Previous  1  2

4Sisters

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 2:09 am
Pretty much all schools in Ramat Beit Shemesh have experience with olim. RBS is a good choice because there are "American-Style" BY schools. Elementary: Bnos Malka. High School: Pninei Chen

I would not recommend YTA for OP. I went to tour it and would not say it fits at all with how the OP described her family (for example, the dress code there for shirts is covering your elbows. I saw a girl wearing a low-cut tank top with a cardigan over it--fine, according to the dress code. This does not seem to be how OP described her family)

AFAIK, new families do not get a buddy family. Lema'an Achai, a local charity organization, gives "welcome bags" to new olim and the do try to match the volunteer who delivers with something similar about the new family (usually it's the school children attend), but there is no formal program.

Hatzlacha with figuring it all out!

2gether

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 3:42 am
Sorry, but I would wait until your kids are grown, I don't think its fair it uproot them because of our ideals (that's OK, everybody may shoot), even more so with LD, special ed and TEENAGERS.
But the sad truth is when they are grown you are going to want to stay near them.

Also about teaching your kids basic Hebrew before coming to Isreal, the downside is that those are going to be the kids to forget English first or speak pig-english. So maybe teach them basic sentances, but don't stop taking to them in English unless you are ready for them to forget English.

Jewishmom8

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 4:48 am
2gether wrote:
Sorry, but I would wait until your kids are grown, I don't think its fair it uproot them because of our ideals (that's OK, everybody may shoot), even more so with LD, special ed and TEENAGERS.
But the sad truth is when they are grown you are going to want to stay near them.

Also about teaching your kids basic Hebrew before coming to Israel, the downside is that those are going to be the kids to forget English first or speak pig-english. So maybe teach them basic sentances, but don't stop taking to them in English unless you are ready for them to forget English.

I really agree with this.
After age 8 it is a huge challenge and risk for any normal child. once you talk about special needs....
The change in culture is enormous and very very hard for children.
You cant compare charedi schools in america and Israel. do your boys play ball? do your girls ride bikes? what are the hours that they are used to? The culture between teenagers is so so different. Even for a more American Beis Yaakov the change is huge.
I love it here and I am glad I came. My children were all born here. but seeing what I have seen over 20 years I would say to anyone who is frummer than dl light if you have kids over 5 dont come. I have seen so so many sad stories.

Last edited by Jewishmom8 on Tue, May 07 2019, 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Jewishmom8

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 4:53 am
essie14 wrote:
I never sent kids to school in the US. You have to advocate a lot for your children, but I'm not sure if that is different here than in the US. As olim, we parents get comments from teachers and principals such as "you don't know how it's done here". You have to stand your ground, enlist friends to help you navigate things.
There's plenty in between Chareidi and DL. Chardal is one label. There's also a spectrum of chareidi and DL - "American chareidi", RWDL, LWDL.

Bet Shemesh and RBS have every "type". There are many schools here and something for everyone.
I'm not "heimish" or "charedi" so not sure what I can answer. My kids go to DL schools here.

yes you must advocate for your children. everyone in israel has to do that. but It is very hard to do if Ivrit is not your language. don't let anyone tell you that this isnt a huge challenge. imagine if you have to take someone to help you say what you want to say, to every pta meeting for years. every time you have to call a teacher.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions