Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Shabbos ideas for the Midwest? (August)

Shendellah

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:46 am
I am visiting family this summer in the Midwest. I am traveling between Minneapolis and Kansas City. I am looking for any Jewish communities between those two cities that has a hotel (or some type of lodging accommodations) in an eruv (I have 3 young kids and will have a 4th baby by then so I don't want to be stuck in a hotel room for 24 hours!) My extended family is not observant so I kind of want to try to be on our own for Shabbos! Somewhere where I can buy kosher food for Shabbos would be ideal but I will be in Minneapolis before hand so I am pretty sure I can find kosher food to bring along (and somehow wing it!). Since I am from the east coast I really don't know what's in the Midwest so any thoughts or ideas from my fellow Midwest imamothers would be very much appreciated!!!

doctorima

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 12:12 pm
Honestly, there's not much between Minneapolis and KC. Des Moines is your best bet, but I don't know the shul situation there, and I'd be surprised if they have an eiruv. Postville is out of your way, but you could check it out. Omaha is less out of the way, but it's also a very small community, and I doubt they have an eiruv.

finprof

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 12:46 pm
Omaha has an eruv but I don't think there is a hotel within the eruv. The community will host you, just call the shul

challahchallah

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 12:51 pm
I also think Omaha is your closest option with an eruv, but it's still out of your way somewhat. The other thing you could consider if you don't want to add drive time is to rent a larger airbnb so you don't feel as cooped up as in a small hotel room.

singleagain

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 1:04 pm
There is kosher food in overland Park, kc Kansas

Not sure about the shul/eruv situation... But I have a good friend in KC,mo. And I go to overland Park to get food. (Friend didn't have kosher kitchen)

The kosher Hy-Vee is on 95th street. In overland Park KS.

Shendellah

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 1:42 pm
Thank you so much for all the feedback! I will share with my husband! I'll keep an eye out if anyone else has any other suggestions!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 1:46 pm
If you want to extend your trip a bit, St Louis is amazing for a cheap family friendly getaway. There is a hotel in the eruv, too.

singleagain

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 1:58 pm
St Louis is a 3-4 hour drive. And MO is long#

doctorima

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 2:49 pm
Overland Park has an eiruv, and there are hotels 1-1.5 miles from shul. I believe some are in the eiruv, but please verify. The community is also very friendly and would be happy to arrange home hospitality if you contact the shul. I thought OP wanted a place between OP and MSP. Good to know that Omaha has an eiruv.

Shendellah

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 4:06 pm
I'll look into St Louis and overland park- thx!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics