Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yoel NOT Yoily?
Previous  1  2

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 12:35 pm
I know a couple of yoels pronounced yo EL with the emphasis on the second syllable.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 1:51 pm
Know a few. But no one were I live is yoelly. All are yoel.

When someone calls for DH and asks for yoelly I just hang up. I know it’s a cold call who got his name off a check (Joel).

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 1:58 pm
Any. I don't know any Yoily irl

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 2:07 pm
My brother Yoel is a teenager living Flatbush. He's named after a great-grandfather. We pronounce it Yuy-il. He has gotten an occasional teasing when people called him Yoely, which he hates, but for the most part, most people say Yo-El faster than Yoely.

If you like the name, then give it and call him however you want to pronounce it. Every name has multiple ways of being pronounced and everyone has a right to correct others on how they want to be called (if they mispronounce it)

nchr

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 2:10 pm
Adding a second name (I.e. Yoel Chaim, Yoel Ber, etc.) reduces the chance of being called Yoely. If you're chassidish you could also do Yoelish because I know quite a few.

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
We are due soon and would like to name Yoel after my father in law. Do you know any Yoels who are NOT called Yoily? I do not like Yoily at all.

And do you pronounce it YO-elle (like hamalach ha GO-elle) or Yole (rhymes with mole)

I know plenty of guys called Yoily. I know many many guys called Yoely rhymes with polly. I know plenty that rhyme with troll. But I never met anyone who pronounces it in 2 syllables like YO-elle. Does that Rhyme with

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 6:48 pm
Op are you one of the Yoilys that hate his name?

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 8:07 pm
I know 2 ppl called Yo-el. 1 chassidish, 1 yeshivish. Possibly more, but this is just off the top of my head.

aricelli

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:01 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I know a Yoel called Yoey. Rhymes wish Joey.

I love this! So unique

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:39 pm
I know many Chasidish boys called Yoil.

momsrus

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:47 pm
nchr wrote:
Adding a second name (I.e. Yoel Chaim, Yoel Ber, etc.) reduces the chance of being called Yoely. If you're chassidish you could also do Yoelish because I know quite a few.

I like this idea.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 11:28 am
Mine! We are Sephardic tho. If we want to say diminutive we say yoEli. Meaning we keep the entire yo-el but add an the I at the end.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 1:32 pm
dankbar wrote:
Op are you one of the Yoilys that hate his name?

HUH?

I like YoEli whoever posted that. Cute and different! Might be too feminine or sephardic for us though, Id have to see. And for the poster who said most Yoilys are 39/40, my FIL was older than that, and litvish

dankbar

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 1:50 pm
The 40 yr old Yoilys are named after satmar rebbi

dankbar

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 2:23 pm
Sorry that day there was a man troll, so my mind was getting suspicious about men trolls
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names