Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Need info on yeshiva ketana of manhattan pls

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 7:52 pm
My family will be moving to manhattan from Brooklyn in September my husband got a new job that would require us to to live in manhattan. The only school that seems to be an option for our son entering first grade is YKM. We went to see if some things impressed us while other things did not. Wondering if I can find out more info here. The only other option we have is to drive him to Brooklyn which is obviously not ideal.
Any info would be appreciated

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 8:58 pm
I have been living in the neighborhood for years and all my friends' sons went there. (I have daughters.) They are universally happy with the school, and the boys I know are good boys who learn well and behave nicely. If you tell me what specifically concerns you, I can find out for you.

lavendar

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:30 pm
Hi thank you for your reply! So I want to make sure it’s a normal functioning school. That the have a good education also curious to know what the secular education is like ? What kind of families send there? The school seemed a little unorganized when I was there and I asked around and getting the vibe that I maybe correct that it’s flying. Wondering if/how effects the children ? I really don’t know anything about the school or the community so any info would help ..... thanks in advance

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:52 pm
The community is very warm and has a bit of the feel of an out of town community. In other words, the different "shnits" know eachother, etc. The yeshivish community is largely made up of very torahdik balabatim, who learn every day, with a small group of klei kodesh. There is a local kollel, and a good one, but small, that has a lot of nice programs for local men and boys.

I have never heard yk is disorganized, and frankly, many of the people I know who send there are big enough donors that if they were unhappy, they would make sure things were fixed. I have heard the secular education is well rounded. Basically every yeshivish boy in the neighborhood goes there.

Btw, in case ypu have girls too, the girls used to almost all go to Breuers for elementary, but there is now transportation to BY of the lower east side, and many go there today. It's a good school.

I hope that helps.

lavendar

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 10:06 pm
When you say ”yeshivish”what do you mean?
In my opinion yeshivish is a relative term..... Or at least were I come from it is....I do have a daughter but she is only two so I will probably put her in YK for preschool just for convenience.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 10:14 pm
Hmm..... I hate to put labels but let's try. The men wear black hats, women cover their hair and wear stocking f/t. No tvs/movies, although many people watch occasional things on computer.

What are you looking for?

Coffee3

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 10:34 pm
It’s a very small school. I did not find it like what Seafoam is saying for preschool. It was a mixed crowd. What are you looking for? You can pm me.

lavendar

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 10:35 pm
According to that description I am kinda yeshivish. My husband is a rabbi currently in a modern orthodox yeshiva he doesn’t wear a black hat but that’s because we are Sephardic and it doesnt mean as much to us. We are not MO and not ultra yeshivish. I do want a school that will give a strong secular education. And as much opportunity as possible. But I wouldn’t sacrifice religion for it. I wouldn’t appreciate a yeshiva that disregards the importance of secular education. I wouldn’t consider Ramaz or manhattan day school .

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 10:59 pm
Seafoam as a YKOM parent it’s absolutely not true that the big donors would make changes if they aren’t happy. You would think it would be the case but YK doesn’t seem to work that way.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:08 am
I live in the neighborhood so know many people who send their kids and I’ve heard that for typical kids and typical learners it’s a good school. But if your son needs extra help (remedial etc) it may not be. I know families who transferred to MDS because they felt their kids needs weren’t met at YK

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 7:58 am
lavendar wrote:
I wouldn’t consider Ramaz or manhattan day school .

I hear you. But FYI, Ramaz and MDS are not equivalent schools. As Pesek said, some fairly yeshivish families send to MDS for one reason or another. (I sent 2nd DD there bc we felt commuting to school wasn't good for her.) Boys and girls have separate classes from 4th or 5th grade. Everyone there is somewhere in the ss/sk spectrum. Ramaz has quite a few families who are not ss/sk. It is an outstanding prep school, but could not by any stretch of the imagination be called frum.

lavendar

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 9:40 am
I am aware that mds and Ramaz are not to be compared but my son entering first grade has already been separated from girls and has a rabbi. For this particular son I wouldn’t want to take the step down even though I’m aware that it might not be a step down maybe just different. My next son is in kindergarten has sensory issues and a little hyper revives lots of therapy. He’s very bright but has come a long long way. The school he is in now has been nothing but fantastic for him I’m wondering if ketana preschool is equipped for kids like this and the elementary school as well?
My oldest son is very bright and and so I feel an obligation to send him to a school that will give him as much opportunity as possible. In both Jewish and secular studies . ( at least for yeshiva standards) it’s important to me that the children in the school are happy and the environment is warm . And that the school should be run like a real school . I wasn’t so impressed the building seemed dark and the English principle was not impressive although she seemed like a nice person . But I got nervous that it’s not a well runned school and maybe we should not move if it it means sacrificing my children’s education.
Any info from parents would be very much appreciated.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 9:47 am
Wondering if a lot of Manhattan parents are away for pesach and not (gasp! horrors!) checking imamother this week. Why don't you try bumping this up on Monday or Tuesday? As I said, I have girls so although I know lots of families who send and are happy, my information is second hand.

Also, you should try to spend a shabbos here before you decide. I love the UWS, but it is definitely different than other large frum communities. You need to be sure it's your cup of tea.

Good luck!

lavendar

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 9:58 am
So I wouldn’t be living on the upper west side I would need to live on the upper east side . I will definitely bump it up after pesach I appreciate your help thanks !

lavendar

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 11:40 am
bump

manhattan mom

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 6:16 pm
I think you should consider mds because I heard things there are changing a lot. They have a Sephardi studies Rabbi who you should speak to and get info I heard he’s really talented. I don’t know his name but I can ask my friend who sends her kids there.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 6:34 pm
OP, I sent my DD to MDS and absolutely adored it. I didn't think you would consider even a right wing coed school (they are separate from, I think, 4th grade on) but if you are, I am in a position to tell you quite a bit about it.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:13 pm
research the grade. I went to mds many moons ago. it was very grade dependent in terms of religiosity and I'm guessing its probably the same in that regard. It was incredibly challenging for me religiously Sad the the girls in my grade were really nice though, don't remember the meanness that I'm seeing from kids now to each other in other places.

lavendar

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:45 pm
Thanks everyone for the response. I actually went to see MDS and YKM last week. MDS was very impressive but just not what I would consider for now. Everyone that I spoke with was super sweet And helpful. I also loved that they cater to the Sephardic kids.But I feel that YKM is a better fit for our family. I spoken to some ppl and while no school is absolute perfection it seems like it might be a good fit for our boys. Really nervous about all the change but god willing it will be okay.
Thanks for all the help😀

amother
Candycane

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 9:38 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
OP, I sent my DD to MDS and absolutely adored it. I didn't think you would consider even a right wing coed school (they are separate from, I think, 4th grade on) but if you are, I am in a position to tell you quite a bit about it.

Reviving an old thread in case this ima is still around. We visited mds and I was really disappointed with the level of academics both in kodesh and English....so we are considering ykm because the kosher for what we've seen is definitely on a higher level. But hashkafikally we would fit better in mds....

Looking for any and all input on either school. We have a boy going into 2nd grade.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics