Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What’s the worst children’s book you have read?
  Previous  1  2  3 9 10  11  12  Next

tiredmommy

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 6:39 pm
I see I'm not the only one who hates Love You Forever. Beyond creepy!
We didnt let our kids watch the Disney version of the little mermaid. Besides the skimpy costume, she disobeys her father and intermarries the human prince! And love conquers all!
Terrible message for Jewish kids Mad

Mkay

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:11 pm
The Bernstein Bears series.

Yeah, they're cute. But undermining Papa in each book is a very subtle, very unhealthy message. Mama's always right, gets the kids to do it her way, while making Papa into the dope.

Einikel

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:22 pm
singleagain wrote:
Original or Disney?

Disney. Cruella’s face and nails...

singleagain

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:41 pm
Einikel wrote:
Disney. Cruella’s face and nails...

I remember thinking how cool let was that her phone fit her face . Considering it was very square.

Actually... I once saw an artist on YouTube redraw Disney villans as good guys.. one of the things they did was smooth out the angles and sharpness of the characters. And when you saw them it was striking how much they looked like a good guy. So I think the sharpness is a visual cue.. especially if it's hard to follow plots like for you get kids.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:49 pm
runninglate wrote:
lol, and so does mine. A little boy tells a lie so a monster grows on his shoulder and takes over his life. What kind of story is that? Forget about subtle messages...

The monster was his inflamed conscience. And it calmed down when he told the truth and set things right. It’s a great book! 😊

singleagain

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:56 pm
I found the video

mochamix18

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 9:03 pm
In a Dark Dark Room (forget the author). It was a book of short scary stories for 2nd-3rd graders. There was a story the green ribbon. The girls friend who becomes her boy friend and then husband is always asking why she wears it. When she is old and sick she tells him to undo it and her head rolls off. It’s illustrated, I was traumatized enough said

Kiwi13

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 9:06 pm
Also, since The Tell-Tale Heart was brought up... totally not a children’s story, but absolutely brilliant.

Yes, I am very much an Edgar Allen Poe fan. The Tell-Tale Heart is one of my favorites. The Raven and The Bells and Annabel Lee... his rhyming structure is incredible and I was fascinated by his work as a teenager, from a writing perspective.

I don’t mind the dark stuff. Some of my favorite books have dark themes... I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier, Needful Things by Stephen King (I’m a Stephen King fan in general, he is another brilliant writer!), Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, etc. etc. I read Of Mice and Men in one sitting the summer before 7th grade. I absolutely LOVED The Giver, which has some disturbing themes. Oooh... and Tuck Everlasting! I could go on... These works (and many others) influenced my development as a writer.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 9:10 pm
One of my favorite children’s books was “The Chocolate Touch.” There was also an admittedly unusual book called “The Man who Wanted to Live Forever,” that I was obsessed with in first grade. My mom thought it was beyond creepy, but it spoke to me. Bittersweet, admittedly chilling ending. Not entirely sure why I liked it so much, and I’m sure it would make many people’s “worst kids’ books” list. But to each their own, I guess.

ETA I LOVED the Wayside School books. All of them. I was in fourth grade and it was my goal back then to write like that! Oh how I practiced! 😊

Israeli_C

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:38 am
In hindsight, Roald Dahl's books are very disturbing. Especially 'The Witches'

mochamix18

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 2:12 am
Cheshire cat wrote:
I LOVE Shel Silverstein! His poems are such wacky fun!

We did this in fifth grade, and I still quote it all the time:

Sick
By Shel Silverstein

“I cannot go to school today,"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
“I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I’m going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I’ve counted sixteen chicken pox
And there’s one more--that’s seventeen,
And don’t you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut--my eyes are blue--
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I’m sure that my left leg is broke--
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button’s caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle’s sprained,
My ‘pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb.
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow’s bent, my spine ain’t straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is--what?
What’s that? What’s that you say?
You say today is. . .Saturday?
G’bye, I’m going out to play!”

Ahhh nostalgia. It’s from his book “Where the Sidewalk Ends”.. I think I got it in kindergarten as a birthday gift

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 3:49 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I'd rather have lamp and cat try to rhyme than awkward syntax or emphasis on the wrong syllable.

Yes! I hate that Jewish authors all try to rhyme. Even worse: when the rhythm patterns keep on changing throughout the book.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:01 am
Israeli_C wrote:
In hindsight, Roald Dahl's books are very disturbing. Especially 'The Witches'

Agree. The witches is the most disturbing one. But I still like his books. Especially Matilda and the bfg.

Israeli_C

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:18 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Agree. The witches is the most disturbing one. But I still like his books. Especially Matilda and the bfg.

True, I loved Matilda because I was a nerdy bookworm type 'misunderstood' by her parents and could relate! But there are some weird stuff there too. Force-feeding chocolate cake, the principal physically abusing her students, the weird torture contraption for punishing kids... oy!

ohmygosh

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:28 am
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but did anyone read the Goosebumps series? It used to give me nightmares.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:29 am
Roald Dahl is so over the top that kids just find it funny. I've never heard of someone being actually traumatized by one of his books.
Recently I reread Charlotte's Web. I think it's a great book but as a kid you don't realize how sad it really is. The passage where she dies... "nobody was with her when she died" Crying

aricelli

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:36 am
I love books! The jewish ones, the other ones the mis-rhymed ones the dark ones the goofy ones. My best “mommy and me” moments with my kids are curled up on our couch, reading out loud and the discussions that follow.

chmom

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:02 am
Kiwi13 wrote:

I don’t mind the dark stuff. Some of my favorite books have dark themes... I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier, Needful Things by Stephen King (I’m a Stephen King fan in general, he is another brilliant writer!), Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, etc. etc.

Oooh, a fellow King fan!! He is an amazing writer and Stand by me is one of the best coming of age stories I have ever read.
I also love Bradbury, his Martian chronicles are wonderful
Kids books wise I always loved Shel Silverstein and Roald Dahl. So entertaining, also for adults

perquacky

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:43 am
Kiwi13 wrote:

I don’t mind the dark stuff. Some of my favorite books have dark themes... I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier, Needful Things by Stephen King (I’m a Stephen King fan in general, he is another brilliant writer!), Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, etc. etc. I read Of Mice and Men in one sitting the summer before 7th grade. I absolutely LOVED The Giver, which has some disturbing themes. Oooh... and Tuck Everlasting! I could go on... These works (and many others) influenced my development as a writer.

Robert Cormier did write some very dark stuff. I just re-read The Chocolate War and passed it on to my teenage daughter. It's a bit dated, but I hope she finds it as compelling as I do. And I Am the Cheese! I cried so, so hard at the end, which is very rare for me.

All the books you list here are great reads!

perquacky

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:45 am
chmom wrote:
Oooh, a fellow King fan!! He is an amazing writer and Stand by me is one of the best coming of age stories I have ever read.
I also love Bradbury, his Martian chronicles are wonderful
Kids books wise I always loved Shel Silverstein and Roald Dahl. So entertaining, also for adults

Stand by Me was the title of the movie. The novella is called The Body.
But yes, a great story. As is pretty much anything Stephen King ever wrote.
Page 10 of 12   Previous  1  2  3 9 10  11  12  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children