Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Boys party for bar mitzvah. Ideas please!

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:59 am
Located in Brooklyn.

What is a good place to do a boys party for my sons bar mitzvah?

Hall? Back of restaurant? Party Room?

And please list name and numbers of any of these places if you have them.

I am so overwhelmed. I literally don’t know where to start.

Also, if you made a boys party. How much did you spend? How many did you invite? Did you also invite immediate family?

Last edited by mommy3b2c on Wed, May 08 2019, 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total

doctorima

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:33 am
Most people I know just invite the boy's class to the weeknight affair with family and friends. If anything is done with his class, it's a breakfast in school, bringing whatever the school allows (donuts, etc.). Is there a reason you don't want to do that and want to have the added expense and headache of planning an entirely separate and additional party just for the boys?

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:44 am
A boys party is in lieu of a weeknight affair, not in addition.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:47 am
doctorima wrote:
Most people I know just invite the boy's class to the weeknight affair with family and friends. If anything is done with his class, it's a breakfast in school, bringing whatever the school allows (donuts, etc.). Is there a reason you don't want to do that and want to have the added expense and headache of planning an entirely separate and additional party just for the boys?

I don’t plan on having a regular week night affair. The boys party is instead.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 7:06 am
I know I don't run in your circles, but if in mine, if there is a weekday affair for just the boys (or the girls in the case of a bas mitzvah), then it is not *usually* a formal affair at a hall or restaurant. It is much more likely an event which appeals to 12 and 13 year olds. That could mean a professional ball game, a laser-tag or paintball place, an arcade type place, or some kind of cool performance (from blue-man group on down to more local theaters with something the intended audience would enjoy. That could mean a harry potter play or whatever "the kids these days" are into.)

The hard part of this is figuring out what to do, the nice thing is the price point is up to you.
Yankees game or Brooklyn Cyclones (minor league baseball-tickets are much cheaper). Blue Man Group or a preformance at a local college?

I hope this helps.

Is this the kind of thing that you could brainstorm with the bar mitzva boy?

sky

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 7:50 am
I get were you are coming from because I am putting together my sons bar mitzvah and an sp overwhelmed by all the parts. My head is spinning.

But you might end up better asking parents who send to his school. Many places do things different then others. Like ny parties with DJs and giveaways are very different then the parties they do by us.

By us the boys party is in the school hall. Food is boy food served buffet style - ie hot poppers, fried chicken, sesame chicken, fries, potato kugel. There is music, dancing, finishing with a Kumzitz. Parents, siblings and grandparents attend. Bar mitzvah boy, rebbe, and father speak.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 8:05 am
We rented a cafe and had a woman come to airbrush baseball caps, as well as a great DJ. We also had a sign in board with his picture which was nice and is now hanging in his room. Total cost was probably around 2000+.

ETA: We invited around 50 boys. Mentioned it casually to family members and a couple of good friends; some stopped in, but it was mainly for the boys.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 8:31 am
We’re iyh making making a boys party before the summer.
Doing it in a Shul.
Getting a one man band so boys will dance.
Will Order fun boys food. Carlos or something like that.
My husband and son will speak.
Boys will dance.
He will invite his class.
I’ll invite mine and my husbands siblings.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:39 pm
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all these ideas. People are doing all sorts of things these days so I really want to hear from everyone.

Boca00

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:14 pm
Nothing to add... but Mazel Tov!!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:19 pm
I forgot to add, for an activity party, the activity was just for the child's friends. For the girls, grandmothers and aunts, (I guess boys grandfathers and helpful uncles) were there to help chaperone, and or chauffeur to the destination. We had food either at home or a restaurant if there was no food available at the venue. Helpful relatives chauffeured and then parents picked up their kids from the venue. In today's world, this was all spelled out on the invitation. Maybe in Brooklyn there might easy public transit access (for example to a cyclones game) although I would still want the helpful relatives as extra chaperones.

Besides the helpful relatives, the only other relatives invited were age-similar and same gender cousins, who technically were friends too.

The other relatives get to enjoy and kvell at the Shabbos/adult event.

amother
Green

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:33 pm
We print invitations in brooklyn, most people will do a boys party in a shul hall
Mazal tov!

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:40 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all these ideas. People are doing all sorts of things these days so I really want to hear from everyone.

I don't know Brooklyn, but we've seen:

Baseball game

Playing basketball on floor of MSG and meeting several former Knicks (rich kid; still considered best party ever by kid who attended)

Indoor rock climbing

Laser tag

paintball

Venues like SPACE https://www.spacenj.com/mitzvah.html

Go cart racing

Bowling

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:43 pm
My brothers boys party was in my parents house. My mother cooked a fleishig buffet and his whole class came and just immediate family like siblings and my grandmother. Then they moved to the deck and danced there with a one man band and lots of glow in the dark stuff my mother bought.

Most of my cousins boys party was very casual. A buffet with some dancing and some fun stuff for the boys like a dj.they told family about it and we dropped in.

One had a very fancy one that they invited everyone to.

gold21

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 8:00 pm
You could do it in a small hall

Get a one man band and a good motivator to get the boys dancing

Have buffet food from Carlos and Gabbys- they're great for buffet, boys love them

Thats what I've seen.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 3:40 am
Thanks everyone. I’d love to hear more as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics