Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Help me with my chicken soup!
1  2  3  Next

jewishmom6

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:03 am
I am trying to perfect my chicken soup.
Here is my recipe, What else should I add to make it even better?

Chicken soup: chicken with most of skin removed, (water to cover until top of small pot) zucchini, carrot, half onion and spice with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.
I simmer covered through the night.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:05 am
Why powder? Just use more real onion and fresh garlic.

I like using celery and also recommend parsnip if you like a sweeter broth.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:10 am
Don't take the skin off. It gives wonderful flavor and color. The fat rises to the top when the soup is refrigerated, so you can always take that off.

Add in chicken necks or other giblets if you can get them.

Use a whole onion, not a half. Stud the onion with peppercorns rather than using ground pepper. As MiracleMama said, use whole garlic rather than garlic powder. Use multiple carrots and multiple parsnips (at least 3 carrots, at least 2 parsnips).

Add fresh dill and perhaps parsley in the last half hour or hour of cooking.

booboo24

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:13 am
I use: chicken pieces and a bag of bones. Dill, parsley, whole onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, turnip, leeks. Salt and pepper.
Bring chicken and bones to a boil, skim the top from the “scum” add vegetables herbs and seasoning. Lower the flame and I cook for at least three hours.

jewishmom6

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:15 am
When making with a whole garlic and lots of veggies is that in the largest pot?
I don't want that garlicky taste in my soup.

Blessing1

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:26 am
I do chicken bones in a net bag, turkey necka or turkey wings (adds amazing flavor!) Carrot, squash, celery, parsley, parsnip, kohlrabi, celery root, a whole onion, generous salt. Bring to boil and simmer for hours. Divine!

allthingsblue

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:27 am
More onion, fresh dill, one peeled sweet potato

subee

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:28 am
Celery knob, sweet potato both add a lot of flavor that I like, and I add parsley and dill a few minutes before shutting off flame.

momsrus

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:30 am
jewishmom6 wrote:

I put in 5-6 cloves. Not a whole garlic

I think the other poster means fresh garlic as opposed to garlic powder.

jewishmom6

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:30 am
I happen to not like using fresh dill and parsley cause I have to wash it and cut off the stem.
its so time consuming. I dont like using bags in my soup either.
I just want and easy chicken soup.

ez-pass

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:32 am
I use chicken or chicken bones
Carrots, celery, whole onion, turnip,parsnip, dill, parsley. Let that simmer for a really long time till very golden. Then add zucchini and sweet potato and simmer till soft. Spice with just salt

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:33 am
I always get rave reviews on my soup:
4 chicken bottoms with the skin on or a package chicken bones- bones give a stronger flavor
3 carrots
3 celery
1 zucchini
2 parsnips
1 knob celery
One onion cut in half- the soup gets more flavor if it’s cut
You could add dill and parsley if you like an herby flavor- but I don’t use them.
Or you could buy a spice called soup greens I think from gefen It also adds that herb flavor.

Salt and a little paprika

Add the veggies and water and Bring to a boil then add the chicken. Let it simmer the entire day. Refrigerate overnight and skim the fat.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:37 am
jewishmom6 wrote:

I usually use an 8-quart pot because it's hard for me to lift and pour from larger pots. For that size, I usually use 2-3 medium-sized cloves of garlic, certainly not a whole head. I do the same for a 6-quart pot. For a 4-quart pot -- but why would I make chicken soup in such small quantities? -- I'd use 1-2 cloves. I don't chop the cloves, and I make sure no one gets an actual garlic clove in their bowl of soup, so there's not a strong garlic taste. You can even add the garlic cloves unpeeled; that blunts the flavor of the garlic. In general, the more you fuss with the garlic before you add it, the stronger the garlic will taste. I like a subtle garlic taste, which is why I throw the garlic cloves in whole.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:40 am
momsrus wrote:
I put in 5-6 cloves. Not a whole garlic

I think the other poster means fresh garlic as opposed to garlic powder.

Right, that was me. I meant whole fresh garlic cloves rather than garlic powder. Sorry for being unclear.

jewishmom6

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:40 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:
I always get rave reviews on my soup:
4 chicken bottoms with the skin on or a package chicken bones- bones give a stronger flavor
3 carrots
3 celery
1 zucchini
2 parsnips
1 knob celery
One onion cut in half- the soup gets more flavor if it’s cut
You could add dill and parsley if you like an herby flavor- but I don’t use them.
Or you could buy a spice called soup greens I think from gefen It also adds that herb flavor.

Salt and a little paprika

Add the veggies and water and Bring to a boil then add the chicken. Let it simmer the entire day. Refrigerate overnight and skim the fat.

This sounds up my alley. Thanks!
I am assuming you make this in a large pot and freeze or make this fresh every wk?
Also do you peel zucchini? sorry to get nitty gritty...

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:45 am
jewishmom6 wrote:
I happen to not like using fresh dill and parsley cause I have to wash it and cut off the stem.
its so time consuming. I dont like using bags in my soup either.
I just want and easy chicken soup.

One way to get the herb taste without the washing is to use a parsley root without the parsley leaves that are on it. Parsley root by itself it still delicious. You need to peel it, of course, but the same is true of carrots and most other vegetables.

I forgot to mention that I also add 3-4 celery stalks. Celery stalks are often very dirty on the bottom. I cut off the bottom parts -- where it's wide -- and then wash them. Much easier than trying to get the whole stalk clean.

Chicken soup is not a low-prep dish, in my opinion. The clean up isn't easy, either. There are plenty of traditional Shabbat dishes that are easy. Roast chicken is easy; pot roast is something you can just put in a pot and forget about for a while. But chicken soup, even if you let it simmer all day or night, takes effort at the beginning and the end.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:47 am
To clarify: I cut off the bottom of each celery stalk and throw it away. Then I wash the rest (top 7/8, approximately) and put it in the soup.

Sebastian

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:48 am
leave the skin on. It makes a huge difference imo

iyar

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:49 am
The more you put in the better it will taste. How much chicken are you using to how much water?
A whole chicken or four chicken bottoms to 10 cups of water will give you a rich soup. Be creative, find what your family likes. Celery stalks give a lot of flavor, some like celery root instead. Half a green bell pepper will add flavor, some people don’t like it. I think we’ve done the big parsley root vs parsnip debate here. I can’t tell you which one you like better but use one or the other or maybe even both. I agree with everyone who told you to use the whole onion not half. Garlic cloves will add a better taste than garlic powder and the same with peppercorns. Try a few fresh mushrooms? A small piece of fresh ginger? Be generous with your ingredients and come up with a special flavor you and your family love.

MiriFr

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 10:00 am
I put in carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, parsnip, turnip, onion, zucchini, chicken bottoms (only feathers removed. Keep the skin on), fresh dill, salt+pepper. Cook for forever.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics