Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Help me with my chicken soup!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 10:01 am
jewishmom6 wrote:
This sounds up my alley. Thanks!
I am assuming you make this in a large pot and freeze or make this fresh every wk?
Also do you peel zucchini? sorry to get nitty gritty...

I make it in a large pot. We’re only two adults so I do freeze the rest. However sometimes I let the soup cook down too much and I only get like 4 lbs to freeze, so if your a big family you might have to make it fresh every week.
I also peel the zucchini.

dankbar

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 10:14 am
I use chicken bottoms. Onion, carrots, zucchini, fresh garlic, sweet potato, parsley root, greenhouse grown parsley leaves, salt, whole black pepper balls, garlic powder.

Eureka!

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 10:26 am
As more vegetables you put in as better it's gonna taste.

I leave the chicken on a tiny flame until it boils. the longer it stays on the fire before boiling it will have a better and more taste of the chicken. When I do a big quantity I leave it for the whole night on the fire.

Once it's boiled I add vegetables.
Kohlrabi, carrots, cloves of garlic, whole onion, zucchini, celery, ...

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 10:28 am
jewishmom6 wrote:
I happen to not like using fresh dill and parsley cause I have to wash it and cut off the stem.
its so time consuming. I dont like using bags in my soup either.
I just want and easy chicken soup.

jewishmom6, I don't think you'll like my opinion:
Perfect and easy doesn't walk hand in hand. It's either perfect OR easy.

The perfect way:
Use fresh garlic (peeled, because they need to be checked for infestation)
Use fresh onion
Use fresh dill and parsley. Is washing and cutting stems (or wringing them off) even remotely considered time consuming? Can't Believe It I soak mine for 3 min in soapy water and rinse well. Cutting the stems together, not one by one. Approx 4 minutes at the most. That cannot be called "time consuming" by any standards.

The easy way: buy take-away chicken soup.

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 10:43 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

The perfect way:
Use fresh onion
Use fresh dill and parsley. Is washing and cutting stems (or wringing them off) even remotely considered time consuming? Can't Believe It I soak mine for 3 min in soapy water and rinse well. Cutting the stems together, not one by one. Approx 4 minutes at the most. That cannot be called "time consuming" by any standards.

Take away doesn't taste good.

Saffron adds a delicious note to chicken soup; otherwise, I am a purest with chicken soup.

As many have already said skip the jarred spices for a bolder taste. Use only fresh. I only use 6 large carrots, 6 stalks celery, 1 onion quartered, peppercorns instead of already ground pepper, fresh dill, fresh parsley, kosher salt.

Leave the skin on and cook just the chicken with water for 2 hours. Skimming the scum off. Then add the above and cook for at least another 2 hours. You can't rush good chicken soup. It's simple and delicious.

jewishmom6

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 10:46 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

The perfect way:
Use fresh onion

Bei Berak I call the soup that I make "easy."
I also make and italian chicken soup that I make "easy"
What I meant by "easy" is not a ton of too many different veggies.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:15 am
jewishmom6 wrote:
Bei Berak I call the soup that I make "easy."
I also make and italian chicken soup that I make "easy"
What I meant by "easy" is not a ton of too many different veggies.

Agree, you don't need a ton of different vegetables. Just make sure to use fresh stuff instead of the powdered garlic,onion or dried herbs when you can get fresh herbs. It's a big difference.
Sorry, I went to cooking school so I so over with that industrial bulls.. they try to market and sell us.

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:25 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Agree, you don't need a ton of different vegetables. Just make sure to use fresh stuff instead of the powdered garlic,onion or dried herbs when you can get fresh herbs. It's a big difference.
Sorry, I went to cooking school so I so over with that industrial bulls.. they try to market and sell us.

So did I. Maybe that's why ketchup and powdered chicken soup mix repulse me. I have been indoctrinated! I never tied it together before.

Thanks

sarahleah88

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:44 am
Do you cover the pot completely, partially or not at all?

fiji

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:47 am
Chicken bones, fresh celery, fresh Dill, fresh parsley

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:47 am
Squishy wrote:
So did I. Maybe that's why ketchup and powdered chicken soup mix repulse me. I have been indoctrinated! I never tied it together before.

Thanks

Ketchup is technically a condiment. I use it as a condiment. Never ever in chulent. I don't have any soup mix at home. When you know how to cook and make a proper broth you will never touch that stuff again.
The only thing that the industry can do (and we can't) are the bissli, bamba, doritos etc. Everything else stems from homemade cooking.

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:52 am
I simmer uncovered all day. Don’t let it boil.

smile4ever

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:36 pm
I make an 8qt pot every week. I put in a package bones plus 2 tops (with skin on but pluck the feathers) a bunch of carrots, onions, a parsnip or two, parsley root, sweet potato, zucchini, and celery. I spice with salt and black pepper, sometimes I add in a bit of turmeric and or ginger powder. Let it come to a boil and then lower flame(still a boil)and cook for at least 3 hours...

jewishmom6

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:46 pm
Thanks so much all for responding with all your tips!
If I do put in lots of carrot and turnip etc I can leave those whole or half?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:52 pm
jewishmom6 wrote:
Thanks so much all for responding with all your tips!
If I do put in lots of carrot and turnip etc I can leave those whole or half?

In general, the more you cut up vegetables, the greater the flavor you'll get. That's because more surface area is directly exposed to the simmering water/broth. Sometimes you want a stronger flavor, sometimes you don't. For example, I find that I prefer to leave the onion whole, celery stalks halved, and carrots and parsnips sliced. Slicing through those parsnips is a good upper-body workout, at least for my right arm.

I'd start with slicing the carrots and halving the turnips.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:55 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Ketchup is technically a condiment. I use it as a condiment. Never ever in chulent. I don't have any soup mix at home. When you know how to cook and make a proper broth you will never touch that stuff again.
The only thing that the industry can do (and we can't) are the bissli, bamba, doritos etc. Everything else stems from homemade cooking.

Totally agreed on the soup mix; it's an abomination. But family members tell me my cholent is better with a squeeze or two of ketchup in it. There is something about that intense cooked tomato flavor that is different than anything else I have in my cholent. What do you use in your cholent?

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:08 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

Here in Monsey, I have been served with ketchup on sushi in a Chinese Restaurant. I AM NOT KIDDING!

I have had ketchup with pasta. Ketchup instead of pizza sauce on pizza. The crust was pita bread and the cheese was American cheese food. Those are just the worse examples.

And yes, I have had powdered soup mix and ketchup in chulent. One Tsp of powdered soup mix has 840 mg of sodium. That powdered soup mix that is thrown in everything with no consideration of what it does to BP.

carnation

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:17 pm
Have received lots of compliments and super easy.

1 knob cellery
1 bunch parsley root
3 lg carrots

Bring vegetables with water and salt to a rolling boil. Add chicken bottoms with skin OR chicken bones. Cook at least 2 hours but rather 5 or more hours. The longer you cook it, the better the flavor.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:19 pm
Like others have said-

Skin on chicken for rich flavor

You need more flavorful vegetables.
I use lots of celery and parsnip in addition to the carrots and onion.

Garlic is not necessary in chicken soup. Please don’t use onion or garlic powder. You can use a whole onion if you want more flavor.
Salt and pepper...

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:27 pm
Super lazy chicken soup.

Pick the meat off of a grocery store rotissary chicken* that is leftover from a previous meal.
Throw it in a pot with water.
Add a chopped carrot, some onion, and some celery.
Simmer for a half hour, or until the carrot is tender.
Adjust for flavor. Add pepper, salt or chicken soup mix (I add the mix.)

(*Save the rotissary chicken bones to make broth for another day.)

My grandmother is rolling over in her grave right now, but some days I want soup FAST.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics