Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Dressing Boys for Shabbos - Advice please

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 10:57 am
1. At what age do boys stop wearing cute trendy styles in the summer, like button down shirts and dress shorts with belts and loafers?
2. What are the right summer transition clothes before only suits for Shabbos? 3. What age do suits become the only option?
4. And what age do coordinating yarmulkes become inappropriate, and boys wear only black velvet?

Fyi, Yeshivish (and not very style intuitive.) Thank you for your help.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:00 am
Also, any Instagrams to recommend for boys' Shabbos style (6 to 8 years old)? Tia for your help!

SingALong

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:04 am
My son asked for only white shirts at age 5 1/2. His4 year old brother quickly caught in and insisted on only wearing white shirts. Shirts I still do blue or grey he’s 6 1/2.
I have a sweater they can put on top if it’s chilly and long grey pants for cooler days. Not up to suits yet.
Ds insisted on plain black velvet yarmulkas by age 6. Younger ds still wears navy or black with a letter

mommyhood

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:08 am
Every community/neighborhood is different but these are the norms for mine.
1. Some boys stop as old as 6 maybe 7 but most stop younger since they want to be like Tatty/older brother.
2. Short sleeve white dress shirts and dress pants. As they get closer to bar mitzvah they switch to long sleeve.
3. I try and push off suits until 8. If there's a family simcha I would buy from around age 6. The suit separates (like armando from shirt stop) are great because you can get multiple pants and one jacket. I'm very makpid that the jacket comes off for meals and in general the boys tend to wear them for shul only.
4. By me they wear till around 4th grade.

dankbar

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:20 am
Depends on the rules of the school & what all the other boys are wearing in shul.
Our cheder allows shorts thru kitta aleph. So Kitta beis I don't put on short pants anymore for shabbos either. Same with designed yarmulkes after Kitta aleph the boys dont wear anymore the designed. Don't think there is a rule.
My boys only want white shirts for shul. I have a knitted vest over white shirt. For park, outdoor play or home I do get them printed shirts so it doesn't turn black. My boys are 6 & 8.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:24 am

Last edited by amother on Wed, May 08 2019, 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:25 am
Thank you very much. What age is matching brothers (Shabbos or weekday) weird? Like, if your oldest is ten?

dankbar

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:36 am
If it two boys close in age its ok to match. I hate when 12 yr olds need to match their 3 yr old sibs. A little kid you can still dress in something cute as opposed to older kid.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:38 am
dankbar wrote:
Depends on the rules of the school & what all the other boys are wearing in shul.
Our cheder allows shorts thru kitta aleph. So Kitta beis I don't put on short pants anymore for shabbos either. Same with designed yarmulkes after Kitta aleph the boys dont wear anymore the designed. Don't think there is a rule.
My boys only want white shirts for shul. I have a knitted vest over white shirt. For park, outdoor play or home I do get them printed shirts so it doesn't turn black. My boys are 6 & 8.

Chassidim stop with fashion yarmulkes and shorts at an earlier age than yeshivish. Also, kitah alef by chassidim is equivelant to Pre 1A so that's age 5/6.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:40 am
Another clueless amother here.

How do you keep Shabbos shoes nice if boys 8-12 want to go outside on Shabbos afternoon?

I don't see anyone else putting their boys in sneakers, but we go through Shabbos shoes so quickly!

dankbar

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:43 am
Crocs for outdoor play. Got them geox black soft leather rubber sole loafers now for shabbos for summer. Not so fancy but more comfortable & practical & endures more than patent/leather soled fancy shoes

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:49 am
My kids dress very casual to play outdoors. They will wear black sneakers or crocs, even as they get older. It's up to the kid. I don't buy new shoes for them if they get ruined because they were playing basketball in Shabbos shoes. So they know that if it's important to them to have good looking Shabbos shoes they need to wear something else. I leave it up to them. I have one kid who will wear his Shabbos shoes even if it means he's going to roll in mud but he is willing to wear them ripped and ruined ...as long as they are his Shabbos shoes. So I go according to them, and their individual personalities. The same with clothes. One son will play ball in a suit jacket and the other asked me not to get him a suit and that he'll wear shirts with pants and doesn't care if it's colored shirts like light blue etc.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
1. At what age do boys stop wearing cute trendy styles in the summer, like button down shirts and dress shorts with belts and loafers?
2. What are the right summer transition clothes before only suits for Shabbos? 3. What age do suits become the only option?
4. And what age do coordinating yarmulkes become inappropriate, and boys wear only black velvet?

Fyi, Yeshivish (and not very style intuitive.) Thank you for your help.

I live oot and the yeshivish people generally start phasing out trendy shabbos clothing and putting boys in white shirt/ dark pants in 1st or 2nd grade. By 3rd grade most boys have suits but they definitely don't always wear them until I guess bar mitzvah age. Black velvet on shabbos at around that age, and during the week much more variation where I live in yarnulka colors and styles. At a certain age most schools have a dress code for that.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:46 pm
My boys are 3, 6, and 9. (Playgrp, 1st grade and 3rd grade)
My 3 and 6 year olds wear whatever I buy them . Lol. They have no preference yet. Actually they prefer clothes without buttons..
So yes, they have a colored knit short sleeved sweater and I got them 2 colored short sleeve shirts .
With matching kappelech.
My 9 year old just stopped wearing initialed kappel, and now wears blue or black.
Summer he only wears white shirts.He doesn't own a suit yet..
He wishes he did though)
We are chassidish and live in boro park..
And they all have nice shobbas shoes for shul and when we go out in the afternoon.
They wear natives when playing outside..

allthingsblue

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:09 pm
I see some boys in crocs on shabbos afternoon.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:18 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Another clueless amother here.

How do you keep Shabbos shoes nice if boys 8-12 want to go outside on Shabbos afternoon?

I don't see anyone else putting their boys in sneakers, but we go through Shabbos shoes so quickly!

I buy cheap ones on eBay/Amazon that look nice and just replace as they grow which luckily usually corresponds with when they get too scuffed to wear!

OutATowner

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:25 pm
My area some boys wear printed Shabbos shirts (from Jewish stores mostly) until about 10 or 11 and some start wearing white shirts at 7. By 12 for most wear suits.

987gold

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:38 pm
https://m.zappos.com/p/stacy-a.....lor/3

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:41 pm
987gold wrote:
https://m.zappos.com/p/stacy-adams-kids-bartley-little-kid-big-kid-black/product/8732820/color/3

These are similar but more than double the price of the ones I posted from eBay!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:59 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I buy cheap ones on eBay/Amazon that look nice and just replace as they grow which luckily usually corresponds with when they get too scuffed to wear!

Can you post the link?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics