Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Just wondering....re: vaxxing
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

top mom

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:42 am
Dear amothers
There are SO MANY vaccination threads, with vaxxers trying to prove their point, and antis screaming theirs. I'm wondering, was there a single vaxxing Mom who got convinced that she's actually just about killing her kids by giving the MMR(or at least guaranteeing that they'll be autistic), and stopped vaccinating completely because of Imamother. Is there a single non vaxxer here, who saw how baseless the whole theory is and decided to give the MMR, because of Imamother?
Otherwise, let's just stop these endless conversations (nice word for bickering and screaming matches Wink ).
Were you convinced either way?
I'm interested in hearing from you Smile
Edited title, I'm wondering whether I'll get more responses now Wink

Last edited by top mom on Mon, May 06 2019, 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

Einikel

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:42 am
Nope

youngishbear

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:46 am
When the default was to vaccinate, somehow someone succeeded in convincing people to stop. Of course, it's easier to get people to fall for propaganda than to educate them on the intricacies of science. I believe many people fall into the anti-vax camp after reading emotional nonsense.

ETA: Thanks for posting in a forum that doesn't allow anonymous posting.

giselle

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:48 am
Yes I actually do believe that there is at least one person who was just not very knowledgeable about vaccines who saw the light. Well I don’t know for sure, but my findings are at least as reliable as those of the anti vaxxers.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 12:50 am
So I wasn't convinced to stop vaccinating my kids. I was convinced though that people don't have what to do with their time so they rather homeschool their kids (no offense or connection to those b'shita homeschooling kids)
I was convinced that people will do anything- even accept to pay a large fine of $ they don't have just not to admit that they may not be harming their kids...
I was convinced that people read what they want & believe what they want and will choose when to listen to rabbanim and when not.
Shall I continue?

eta: hey, glad its amother disabled, but not expecting nonvaxers to chime in now... anyway if they are still unvax then they will say no. so whatever.

mig100

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 1:00 am
Op I agree with u- u can't have a rational diacussion with irrational people such as anti- vaxers ( quoted from Richie roberts)

I also don't see what more there is to discuss?? What there r now a few individuals including a baby in critical condition. What What

This is no longer a theoretical discussion. It's a matter of LIFE AND DEATH. I seriously don't understand what more there is to discuss???

Anti- vaxers seem to be thriving on these threads. It gives them an opportunity to share their " research" and "facts". Then they get all hysterical that people "hate them" for disagreeing ( ummm werent.we having a medical discussion??? someone points out a different - widely accepted by all medical professionals- view and it vecomes all personal- )and wanting to protect their kids by following mainstream advice of Drs.

The more u respond to them the more noneesense and sorted facts they present.

For all these reasons and many more I stopped engaging in these threads

Last edited by mig100 on Mon, May 06 2019, 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total

crust

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 1:01 am
Yes.
I have a relative that keeps on saying that she researched vaccines and that she doesn't ask her Rav for guidance in this area because he didn't do his research.

I used to be intimidated by her knowledge and my lack thereof.

Anyway, a year or two ago there was a very informative thread on vaccines here that covered a lot. It had links to books and articles.

I took my time to carefully read through each of them. I went from the article to the links and from there to other articles mentioned.

I came back with a barrage of information to this relative and I asked her how come ABC?
She had no clue what I was talking about! Clueless!

She finally admitted to me that she never did any research but her freind that is very knowledgable did it.

I know this freind doesn't have internet access but I didn't want to assume anything so I asked her if she can ask her friend what she thinks about that article in the New England Journal.

Her response?
Her friend didnt read anything! She listens to the vaccine hotline.

So Yes, imamother helped me learn the truth about the antivax research.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 1:02 am
Another thing I was convinced of: it is so easy to come up with conspiracy theories on how vaccines have bad outcomes.
But in reality there is really no connection- just two random events that happened.

youngishbear

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 1:07 am
I was also thinking of how difficult it is to prove a negative.

Study after study shows no connection between vaccines and specific issues, but maybe if they tested this way or that way or this number of people for that number of years perhaps they'll discover that... nonvaxxers are more conspiracy-minded people.

giselle

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 1:10 am
youngishbear wrote:
I was also thinking of how difficult it is to prove a negative.

Study after study shows no connection between vaccines and specific issues, but maybe if they tested this way or that way or this number of people for that number of years perhaps they'll discover that... nonvaxxers are more conspiracy-minded people.

That’s a great point and likely very true.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 1:13 am
giselle wrote:
That’s a great point and likely very true.

And here's their "proof" that they are right.

mig100

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 11:08 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
So I wasn't convinced to stop vaccinating my kids. I was convinced though that people don't have what to do with their time so they rather homeschool their kids (no offense or connection to those b'shita homeschooling kids)
I was convinced that people will do anything- even accept to pay a large fine of $ they don't have just not to admit that they may not be harming their kids...
I was convinced that people read what they want & believe what they want and will choose when to listen to rabbanim and when not.
Shall I continue?

eta: hey, glad its amother disabled, but not expecting nonvaxers to chime in now... anyway if they are still unvax then they will say no. so whatever.

Great post. I did find these threads very insightful into human nature.

I can add a few more to the list when I have time.

It fascinates me how ungortunately people can justify anything LITERALLY even murder in the name of " religious beleifs".

Our minds can be our own worst enemy. I hope to use this insight to my benefit.

Yeah- I'm also glad it's Ammon disabled

top mom

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 2:13 pm
Bumpitty bump
Anyone?

little neshamala

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 2:37 pm
top mom wrote:
Bumpitty bump
Anyone?

There is no way you'll get an accurate finding from this thread because I doubt an antivaxer who changed her mind would have the guts to post under her own screen name. Its gotta be embarassing

top mom

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 2:50 pm
I don't want this thread to become another debate, there are PLENTY. My point is to hopefully show both sides that even if you are 1000% right, no one will be convinced from your endless paragraphs, proofs and propaganda either way. So how about moving on to more practical and productive topics?!

mig100

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:23 am
top mom wrote:
I don't want this thread to become another debate, there are PLENTY. My point is to hopefully show both sides that even if you are 1000% right, no one will be convinced from your endless paragraphs, proofs and propaganda either way. So how about moving on to more practical and productive topics?!

I dont want another debate either. im done with that and staying out of those-for a different reason.

I think almost all (with the exception of a few who are making money of it and a VERY small amount who actually had a child have a neg reaction to vaxine) of the people who fell in with the anti -vax movement are well-meaning uneducated and ignoragnt people who honestly want to protect their children - jsut like every other mother.

unfortunately -people are naive and easily fall in with propoganda that sounds alarming and appeals to their emotions - despite it going against all sceientific and medical knowledge.

the more we post on these threads- the more of a platform these anti- vaxers have to share their "research" (sarcasim intended- reading peach doesnt constitue 'research" in my book-neither does mothering.com)

which is why im avoiding posting any facts or anything that can lead to debating on those threads.

that said- I do think its worthwhile that when an anti-vaxer start a thread to share their propoganda- that everyone psots just gently pointing out how rediculous the post is- to warn the naive / undecided.

'as gizeeela says -'nuf said

youngishbear

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:31 am
It helps me work through my frustration with the anti-vaxxers in a safe way, rather than hunting them down IRL.

LOL

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 12:04 pm
I do know a few anti-vaxers personally and at first, when the outbreak was in the early stages, I tried to see things from their point of view and be supportive of them. I tried to convince their school principal to allow them in school as long as they were asymptomatic.
But then the whole thing mushroomed into a nationwide outbreak with frum Jews at the epicenter and anti-Semitism being given another reason to exist.
When I finally realized that I myself wasn't immune, the anti-vax friends offered solutions that I found laughable and I began to see them as a cult with Toni Bark and RFK Jr as the leaders. Trying to convince them of anything only made them feel abandoned but when I got the MMR, I became a STAR BELLIED SNEETCH!!!
The discussion here taught me many things about viruses and vaccines but also about how information infiltrates and what to say and what not to say if I ever need to discuss it with anyone.

yerushamama

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 12:32 pm
There are probably a few mothers to be, expecting either their first child, or first after a break, that would be swayed one way or the other by what people have to say. If it could be kept completely rational and unemotional (nearly impossible with such a hot topic) some more open minded people might at least rethink their position and reasons.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 12:56 pm
No
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics