Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What’s the worst children’s book you have read?
  Previous  1  2  3 10  11  12  Next

perquacky

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 8:46 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

Recently I reread Charlotte's Web. I think it's a great book but as a kid you don't realize how sad it really is. The passage where she dies... "nobody was with her when she died" Crying

When I read Charlotte's Web out loud to my boys years ago, all four of us had a good cry together. They realized--maybe because I started crying first--how sad it truly is when Charlotte dies.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 8:49 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Roald Dahl is so over the top that kids just find it funny. I've never heard of someone being actually traumatized by one of his books.
Recently I reread Charlotte's Web. I think it's a great book but as a kid you don't realize how sad it really is. The passage where she dies... "nobody was with her when she died" Crying

I realized when I was a kid. I sobbed for hours.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:27 am
It wasn't that she died that was so affecting now. It was the way she died, that she was alone and forgotten in the abandoned fairgrounds.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:45 am
ohmygosh wrote:
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but did anyone read the Goosebumps series? It used to give me nightmares.

Some of these were really cool! My favorite was The Coo-coo Clock of Doom, where the kid turns the mechanical bird’s head backwards and then time started moving backwards. I also loved the one about the school with a passage back to years before (I think that was in the goosebumps series?) and the one with the mirror that the kids went through but could only stay on the other side for a short time... Don’t go to Sleep freaked my out something fierce. The blob mini series was interesting. I read almost all of them that came out when I was in the target age range. The haunted mask was freaky too. Some of them were very well done. Some were eh. He had a few choose your own adventure ones that had some very humorous twists in them.

Speaking of choose your own adventure books, there was one that totally, TOTALLY scared the heck out of me when I was like 10 or 11, it was about scientists trying to find a cure for Ebola. I got obsessed with Ebola and anytime someone had a sore throat and a fever at the same time I stayed faaaaar away in abject horror. That was a very scary book for kids.

Another grownup book I absolutely LOVED and found very inspiring was Mitch Albom’s The Five People You Meet in Heaven. One of my favorite books of all time.

ETA another goosebumps miniseries I loved was Say Cheese and Die. Those were creepy as anything but very interesting.

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 10:21 am
ohmygosh wrote:
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but did anyone read the Goosebumps series? It used to give me nightmares.

Not specifically nightmares, but it is supposed to give you goosebumps Wink .

Simple1

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:23 pm
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory really creeped me out the way the spoiled kids got punished.

Studious

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:49 pm
My favorite kids book is Where the Wild Things Are. I think it’s just brilliant psychologically and I always wanted to write an article about it. What a journey into the unconscious!

amother
Jade

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:31 pm
Years ago I heard the author being interviewed on NPR. It was fascinating.

nechami1

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 6:18 pm
I really like The little old lady who couldnt fall asleep. I used to love reading it as a child.

What about David Walliams series, The worlds worst children, Ratburger, Demon Dentist, Billionaire boy etc. The kids love those but I dont think they have any lessons at all, just a light hearted read although the language isnt great. And I dont agree with the one titled The Boy in the dress.

Enid Blyton anyone?

Nancy Drew?

And do you remember the series where you had to turn a few pages to create your own ending in the book - not sure if it was Goosebumps

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 6:32 pm
nechami1 wrote:

And do you remember the series where you had to turn a few pages to create your own ending in the book - not sure if it was Goosebumps

Choose Your Own Adventure. (There's a Jewish book, The Choices of Daniel Trigo by Joseph Neppe.)

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 2:24 am
As mentioned up thread- books that force rhymes (and add in several beats to make sense) and also mix up the patterns randomly. Is it ABAC? AA? Or ABAB?

And not all books are read by people who mispronounce words. Door and sure do not rhyme.
Door rhymes with shore! Not sure.

Spaghetti7

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 3:03 am
Honestly, this thread is supposed to be about worst kids' books, but now I'm just getting nostalgic about reading Roald Dahl!!!! I loved Roald Dahl's books when I was a kid. Also love Yossi and Laibel (especially Labels for Laibel, I literally couldn't stop laughing when the parents stuck labels all over their things, I guess I'm a big kid, I thought it was hilarious).

ludicrous

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 3:17 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
I absolutely LOVED The Giver, which has some disturbing themes.

Can someone please explain to me the themes and messages of The Giver? I never got it.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:16 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
As mentioned up thread- books that force rhymes (and add in several beats to make sense) and also mix up the patterns randomly. Is it ABAC? AA? Or ABAB?

And not all books are read by people who mispronounce words. Door and sure do not rhyme.
Door rhymes with shore! Not sure.

Well I guess that depends where you live. Door and sure rhyme to me.

But the rhyme patterns mixing up😤😤😡😡

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:21 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Some of these were really cool! My favorite was The Coo-coo Clock of Doom, where the kid turns the mechanical bird’s head backwards and then time started moving backwards. I also loved the one about the school with a passage back to years before (I think that was in the goosebumps series?) and the one with the mirror that the kids went through but could only stay on the other side for a short time... Don’t go to Sleep freaked my out something fierce. The blob mini series was interesting. I read almost all of them that came out when I was in the target age range. The haunted mask was freaky too. Some of them were very well done. Some were eh. He had a few choose your own adventure ones that had some very humorous twists in them.

Speaking of choose your own adventure books, there was one that totally, TOTALLY scared the heck out of me when I was like 10 or 11, it was about scientists trying to find a cure for Ebola. I got obsessed with Ebola and anytime someone had a sore throat and a fever at the same time I stayed faaaaar away in abject horror. That was a very scary book for kids.

Another grownup book I absolutely LOVED and found very inspiring was Mitch Albom’s The Five People You Meet in Heaven. One of my favorite books of all time.

ETA another goosebumps miniseries I loved was Say Cheese and Die. Those were creepy as anything but very interesting.

That’s so funny! My two favorite goose bumps were the coo clock of doom and the one where they fo behind the mirror. I didn’t find either of those that scary. Ironically, those two have the creepiest endings.

I still have nightmares from Night of the living Dummy.

Why in the world did I read those books?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:27 am
Madeline was not a orphan in the video
On you tube she gets gifts from her papa when she gets her appendix out Very Happy

singleagain

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Madeline was not a orphan in the video
On you tube she gets gifts from her papa when she gets her appendix out Very Happy

In the live action movie... She didn't have oaths. I specifically remember the teacher (who's name slipped my mind) giving back a letter to Lord Covington saying that Madeline has no parents

dancingqueen

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:48 am
This doesn’t make it the worst per se, but I was reading my kids those frum rhyming books- go to a doctor, go to the park. And the doctor one comes on so strong, mentions at least 3 times that the one who really heals is Hashem not the doctor. I wonder why they came on SO strong with that message.

cbsp

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 1:26 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
This doesn’t make it the worst per se, but I was reading my kids those frum rhyming books- go to a doctor, go to the park. And the doctor one comes on so strong, mentions at least 3 times that the one who really heals is Hashem not the doctor. I wonder why they came on SO strong with that message.

Cuz it's the truth?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 10:19 pm
Off-beat for a BY girl, but did anyone read The Chosen, by Chaim Potok? I read it in high school. I was completely oblivious to the politics, and it became one of my favorite books. It was the first time I read a description of an emotionally abusive relationship (although the book didn't use that term).
Page 11 of 12   Previous  1  2  3 10  11  12  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children