Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Knaidelach Recipe
Previous  1  2

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 3:30 am
JoyInTheMorning's instructions are very professional and I nodded my head to all of them.

I make aunt Flossie's matza balls which calls for separated eggs. Whites need to be beaten stiffly (with an electric hand beater which is perfectly clean and completely dry) with a pinch of salt. Beat until you can turn bowl upside down. I also use beater for beating yolks a little bit. Chill mixture at least for 1 hour, preferably longer if possible.
Fold the whites gently with a spatula.

I have never tried baking powder and in my opinion, if you know how to deal with beaten egg whites you don't need baking powder. (Note: a lot of French traditional cakes call for beaten egg whites and there is no baking powder, simply because it didn't exist at that time.)
Baking powder is another product which the food industry is trying to sell you because the technique of beaten egg whites was probably branded "old fashioned" by the baking powder company.

Note:I'm not against baking powder. but it's for baking and not to be stuffed into each and every thing.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 4:42 am
Thank you for saying that Bnei Berak 10! I'm not a professional by any means, but I started cooking and baking when I was twelve, and I've done a lot of reading and experimenting.

But for all my reading, I didn't know until now that baking powder hadn't been around until relatively recently. I do know that the baking recipes I inherited from my paternal grandmother, through my aunt, used yeast and eggs, and those I have from my mother's side of the family were sponge cakes that used lots of eggs.

jsb

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:01 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
JoyInTheMorning's instructions are very professional and I nodded my head to all of them.

I make aunt Flossie's matza balls which calls for separated eggs. Whites need to be beaten stiffly (with an electric hand beater which is perfectly clean and completely dry) with a pinch of salt. Beat until you can turn bowl upside down. I also use beater for beating yolks a little bit. Chill mixture at least for 1 hour, preferably longer if possible.
Fold the whites gently with a spatula.

I have never tried baking powder and in my opinion, if you know how to deal with beaten egg whites you don't need baking powder. (Note: a lot of French traditional cakes call for beaten egg whites and there is no baking powder, simply because it didn't exist at that time.)
Baking powder is another product which the food industry is trying to sell you because the technique of beaten egg whites was probably branded "old fashioned" by the baking powder company.

Note:I'm not against baking powder. but it's for baking and not to be stuffed into each and every thing.

Wow that recipe sounds very complicated. I don’t mind a more complicated recipe for main dishes if I really want to try something that tastes out of a restaurant but for just kenaidlach which for me aren’t that important, I wouldn’t bother.

Interesting about baking powder. I’d much rather deal with that then perfectly separating eggs Smile

jewishmom6

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:02 am
My kneidlach are really fluffy:
eggs
oil
water
matzo meal
salt
baking soda

goodmorning

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:25 am
You may be interested in this experimentation with kneidelach recipes, including an analysis of seltzer / baking powder / beaten egg whites: https://www.seriouseats.com/20......html

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:36 am
Best Kneidlach Ever!

4 eggs
4 T oil
4 T water/seltzer
1 C matza meal
1 tsp salt
1/2 pepper

Refrigerate for a couple of hours before shaping

jsb

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 1:59 pm
goodmorning wrote:
You may be interested in this experimentation with kneidelach recipes, including an analysis of seltzer / baking powder / beaten egg whites: https://www.seriouseats.com/20......html

Wow the person who wrote that really did her homework!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics