Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Keeping whites white

Wife1

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 9:23 pm
How do you keep your whites from going dingy over time? Without bleach?

teachkids

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 9:41 pm
Oxiclean makes a whiting booster. I can't tell yet if it's making a difference on our stuff though

Wife1

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:50 pm
Isn't on I lean just for stains what do you put in the whole load to keep in from getting dingy

Amalia

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:55 pm
Without bleach? I can’t keep them really white over time even with bleach!
Following for ideas

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:16 pm
Wife1 wrote:
Isn't on I lean just for stains what do you put in the whole load to keep in from getting dingy

Put detergent in the detergent tube of the washer and put 2 scoops of the Oxiclean White Revive in the drum on top of the clothes. It helps keep the whites white. (But it won't remove dinginess that's already developed.) Make sure to only put whites in the load. The pinks and grays and beiges will make the whites dingy.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, May 09 2019, 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

imamother153

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Put detergent in the detergent tube of the washer and put 2 scoops of the Oxiclean White Revive in the drum on top of the clothes. It helps keep the whites white. (But it won't remove dinginess that's already developed.) Make sure to only put whites in the load. The pinks and great and beiges will make the whites dingy.

So what do you do with bright colored underwear? Make a separate load just for a few items?

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:37 pm
imamother153 wrote:
So what do you do with bright colored underwear? Make a separate load just for a few items?

They go into a load with bright colored cotton PJs and such.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:44 pm
Wash whites together only, if a sock has a gray toe but the rest is white I throw it with the colors. A white pj T-shirt with writing goes in colors too, I keep my white loads pure white and wash on the whites setting which I think is hot water.

For everything else I wash it together on a regular cycle with cold water and I often use color catcher sheets to soak up dyes.

Mostly though I stay away from buying clothes that have a lot of white but can’t be washed with my whites because I know they will get dingy. So if I buy something white, I make sure it’s 100% white.

HelloG

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:31 pm
I got this trick from someone and works amazing. Mix bizz and pic powders

whewpy

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:28 pm
Whats pic powder?

challahchallah

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:32 pm
Bluing!!!! It's somewhat of an old fashioned laundry detergent for some reason but it works so well. This is why oxiclean has little blue crystals in it, but it's better to be able to just add the amount of bluing you need separate from whatever detergents or boosters you want.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:05 am
challahchallah wrote:
Bluing!!!! It's somewhat of an old fashioned laundry detergent for some reason but it works so well. This is why oxiclean has little blue crystals in it, but it's better to be able to just add the amount of bluing you need separate from whatever detergents or boosters you want.

I'm curious how you use it.

yiddishmom

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:06 am
I add 1/2 cup vinegar to my load. Married for 10 months now and my MIL recently mentioned that my husband's shirts still look new. So I guess it works.
Lemon juice is also supposed to be good.
I do add bleach every 2 months or so to the load.
And I also make sure to keep the load pure white, like others have mentioned.
Good luck!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:08 am
Oxy clean refill. Or sano oxy. Pause the machine for 60 min. It pays

challahchallah

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:13 am
ra_mom wrote:
I'm curious how you use it.

I mix a few drops into some water then pour it into the washer before adding the clothes. There are directions on the bottle.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:14 am
challahchallah wrote:
I mix a few drops into some water then pour it into the washer before adding the clothes. There are directions on the bottle.

Thanks. Maybe one day I'll experiment.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:20 am
Lemon juice and baking soda
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry