Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How did Danny Baker think hed not get fired?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 5:16 am
Danny Baker has apologised for an ‘unthinking gag’ he made about the Royal baby, after it was branded ‘racist’ and ‘vile’ on social media.

As the world geared up to see Prince Harry and Meghan Markle introduce their newborn son, Archie Mountbatten-Windsor to the world yesterday (8 May), the BBC Radio 5 Live presenter took to Twitter to share a black-and-white image of a man and woman holding the hands of a chimpanzee dressed in children’s clothing.

Alongside the photograph, the former I’m A Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! contestant wrote: “Royal baby leaves hospital.”

His followers were quick to claim that “if a monkey is the first thing you ‘think’ about regarding a mixed race baby, you’ve got issues.”

Others called for the 61-year-old to be sacked, suggesting that there is “far too much tolerance of racism” throughout the UK and that, if we don’t attempt to stamp it out, “the country is really in danger of slipping into a murky and ignorant abyss made up of xenophobia and insensitivity.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/dann......html

https://www.newsweek.com/royal.....20702

Thank G-d Danny Baker isnt Jewish, is all I can say.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Baker

giselle

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:19 am
Oh my. That is quite horrific.

Sebastian

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:30 am
he wasn't thinking, I think.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:35 am
Sebastian wrote:
he wasn't thinking, I think.

I'm not that generous. I am sure he knew exactly what he was doing. Mad

Sebastian

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 7:37 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm not that generous. I am sure he knew exactly what he was doing. Mad

he was basically asking them to fire him. I don't think he was thinking.

Rappel

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 1:02 am
I wouldn't have associated that picture with race. It's just funny, and a little weird.

On the other hand, I would never have viewed Meghan as biracial, so maybe I'm just living under a rock.

moonstone

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 2:04 am
I think the picture is hysterical, and I really don't think he meant it to be racist. I think he meant it as an insult to royals in general and would have posted it even if Meghan were 100% white. Maybe I'm naieve, but do people even care about her racial makeup anymore?

DrMom

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 3:56 am
moonstone wrote:
I think the picture is hysterical, and I really don't think he meant it to be racist. I think he meant it as an insult to royals in general and would have posted it even if Meghan were 100% white. Maybe I'm naieve, but do people even care about her racial makeup anymore?

Tend to agree.

Granted all my info about this incident comes from this thread, but I'm not really sure what this fellow was trying to say.
What

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 4:24 am
moonstone wrote:

Let's say his explanation is true that he meant it as a joke about the circus surrounding the royal birth, and he made a mistake about posting it, the world is a bit sadder because of the current hypersensitivity.

I was listening to vintage comedians yesterday. They were saying things that couldn't be said today. And they were really funny! Friends, the TV show, couldn't be as funny today. The Jeffersons couldn't exist. All in the Family was funny. Johnny Carson was hysterical. All of these would provoke social media nut jobs today.

Jerry Seinfeld, Larry the Cable Guy, Judith Gold, Chris Rock won't play college campuses anymore. The nut jobs back up their outrage with violent acts. Jews can't poke fun of ourselves, blacks can't poke fun of ourselves. All that's left is to poke fun of some orange guy, and that get boring.

I never felt degraded by Jewish jokes growing up even when not by Jews. I was considered funny when I was hanging out with my single friends - much of my "material" was poking fun of the JAP culture.

The antisemitic tropes the The York Times is publishing are not reminiscent of the jokes growing up. They are reminiscent of the Nazis which was always off limits. It's the Benjamins baby was beyond the pale for normal people. The line was drawn much further out. Clear meanness was never funny growing up. It's just not funny.

No one is given the doubt ever anymore. Careers are destroyed instantly even by material that was unquestionably acceptable at the time.

zohar

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 4:54 am
Actually, this is what his defenders are pointing out. He obviously didn't make the race connection, cuz if he did, he wouldn't have risked everything. I do not know who he is, but from what I've seen, it doesn't seem he has a history of racism. I do think people should script his sincere apology. The only reason the cartoon is seen as racist is because at this occasion the mother is biracial. But I think he would have posted it if it was Kate giving birth. The photo itself is not racist, it's making fun of us humans taking ourselves too seriously.

Mevater

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 5:15 am
zohar wrote:
But I think he would have posted it if it was Kate giving birth.

What a coincidence!

He had three opportunities recently to post this picture, each time Kate gave birth, but chose to post it when Meghan gave birth.

I wonder what Prince Harry is thinking. It has to be hurtful.

zohar

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 5:30 am
Mevater wrote:
What a coincidence!

He had three opportunities recently to post this picture, each time Kate gave birth, but chose to post it when Meghan gave birth.

He didn't come across it the past three times. That's all. I'm assuming Prince Harry has grown a think skin. It is definitely an offensive thing to post, I just think that Danny Baker did not have any racist intention when posting it and society today has to relearn how to accept sincere apologies.

Mevater

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 6:52 am
zohar wrote:
He didn't come across it the past three times. That's all.

Uh-huh. Ok.

zohar wrote:
I'm assuming Prince Harry has grown a think skin.

No skin is ever thick enough for this kind of thing. (I'm still getting used to the idea of mixed marriages and biracial children, but its a free country and everyone should MYOB. Others may do as they wish.)

imasoftov

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 7:11 am
Mevater wrote:
... I'm still getting used to the idea of mixed marriages and biracial children ...

Mishnah Negaim.2.1:

רַבִּי יִשְׁמָעֵאל אוֹמֵר, בְּנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל, אֲנִי כַפָּרָתָן, הֲרֵי הֵן כְּאֶשְׁכְּרוֹעַ, לֹא שְׁחוֹרִים וְלֹא לְבָנִים, אֶלָּא בֵינוֹנִיִּים

Rabbi Ishmael says: the children of Israel (may I be atonement for them!) are like boxwood, neither black nor white but of an intermediate shade.

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 8:15 am
Mevater wrote:
What a coincidence!

Kate didn't create the media circus that Meghan did. Kate went about things just like Diana did with class Meghan NEEDS to create drama. Danny Baker was making fun of the media circus.

Prince Louis is two places ahead of Archie in the succession, and his birth was much lower key. From the moment the couple made their dramatic announcement at Princess Eugenie's wedding stealing the spotlight, the tenor for this pregnancy was set. This has nothing to do with her skin color. Upstaging the bride shows her origins. Meghan married a minor royal - like it or not and wants to be in the spotlight.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 9:21 am
Rappel wrote:
I wouldn't have associated that picture with race. It's just funny, and a little weird.

On the other hand, I would never have viewed Meghan as biracial, so maybe I'm just living under a rock.

Meghan is biracial and I have always thought of her as that. I am in the U.K. and honestly believe that Danny Baker made a very big mistake. He should have known better. However, I don’t think he was deliberately racist based on his comedy and personality. I have followed him for decades and would never have done so at the merest hint of racism.

The reason that the (arguably funny) picture is deemed racist, is that black boys and girls growing up in Britain have historically been called “monkey” in the playgrounds. I thought it was something that died out in the 80s but alas, racism still exists in British playgrounds. And that is why lots of people rightly found Danny Baker’s “joke” completely offensive. It’s a pity as Danny Baker himself is not offensive.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 9:25 am
Mevater wrote:
No skin is ever thick enough for this kind of thing. (I'm still getting used to the idea of mixed marriages and biracial children, but its a free country and everyone should MYOB. Others may do as they wish.)

Wow, I can’t believe you said this. You realise that on this site there are biracial Jewish imamothers? And some are single-raced Black imamothers. Those married to White DHs will have biracial, frum Jewish kids. And some White Imas on here have Black, frum Jewish husbands. Sorry that this is something you are merely “getting used to” but it is a reality, not an idea.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 9:41 am
Squishy wrote:
Kate didn't create the media circus that Meghan did. Kate went about things just like Diana did with class Meghan NEEDS to create drama. Danny Baker was making fun of the media circus.

Prince Louis is two places ahead of Archie in the succession, and his birth was much lower key. From the moment the couple made their dramatic announcement at Princess Eugenie's wedding stealing the spotlight, the tenor for this pregnancy was set. This has nothing to do with her skin color. Upstaging the bride shows her origins. Meghan married a minor royal - like it or not and wants to be in the spotlight.

They did not announce their pregnancy at the wedding. That is a fabrication of a media trying to create drama. Princess Eugenie got married on October 12 and they announced the pregnancy when they landed in Australia on October 14. Some members of the media have created a story that Meghan and Harry told the family about the pregnancy at the wedding. There is no proof of that. It is also decidedly far-fetched.

zohar

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 11:40 am
Mevater wrote:

I think there is projection going on here. You see the picture and your mind jumps to race, even though it's not the intention of the picture itself. You can't imagine that it might have been innocent. I don't want to be hurtful, but as things stand right now, there is more evidence of you be racist than Danny Baker.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 11:56 am
moonstone wrote:

Yes, people care that she's bi-racial.

And yes, the racist trope about people of color looking like monkeys is well-known. In fact, it was in the UK news with respect to racist chants at soccer (football) matches just days earlier. And periodically through the years.

In any case, how does it insult "royals in general." Its not, as another poster claims, a circus photo. The couple is well-dressed. Even Baker describes it as a photo of a "chimp dressed as a Lord" -- describing a mixed-race baby as a chimp.

Its sad that posters here have roundly -- and rightly -- condemned the NY Times for publishing a cartoon whose racism depends on the fact that it is based on racist trope, while at the same time claiming that depicting a child of color (or of mixed origin) as a chimp isn't at all racist.

It was racist. It should be condemned.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics