Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you organize your recipes?
Previous  1  2

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:26 pm
Squishy wrote:
It's why you can swim on Shabbos because you may want to build a raft.

Many hold that you ARE allowed to swim on shabbos, as long as you don’t towel dry.

pesek zman

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:27 pm
Squishy wrote:
It's why you can swim on Shabbos because you may want to build a raft.

Is that really the reason? I just thought it was related to bathing and/or not shabbosdik

pesek zman

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:28 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Not every single time, but there is an idea that reading a recipe while making it will lead you to measure.

Ok I read cookbooks on the couch, for fun

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:29 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Mainly Pinterest. Most recipes can be found online and then pinned. I search my Pinterest boards for menu/recipe ideas

LOVE Pinterest! My ADD brain can't keep track of anything, but I always know where my recipes are. I just bring my laptop into the kitchen, so I can look at the recipe as I go along. So easy.

Just make sure to keep your laptop or phone away from prep areas and sinks! Surprised

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 3:26 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Is that really the reason? I just thought it was related to bathing and/or not shabbosdik

I was told it is the temptation to build a raft.

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 4:51 pm
I use an app called recipe gallery

Truth be told I also save recipes in plastic sleeve, one per category. But I like the app because I can take pics of recipes in cookbooks and collect them there.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 1:14 pm
Just had to chime and say I'm sure I'm not the only one who does not have any recipe organization at all...there are the everyday ones that I know baal peh, and then for special occasions look up online or in a cookbook. TMI

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 2:11 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Just had to chime and say I'm sure I'm not the only one who does not have any recipe organization at all...there are the everyday ones that I know baal peh, and then for special occasions look up online or in a cookbook. TMI

My mom didn't write down any of her recipes. When she started getting forgetful, it was too late. She left out ingredients or otherwise messed them up. My family misses some recipes that I can't recreate.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 2:37 pm
Squishy wrote:
My mom didn't write down any of her recipes. When she started getting forgetful, it was too late. She left out ingredients or otherwise messed them up. My family misses some recipes that I can't recreate.

Same with my grandma. That's one of the reasons I record and chronologize everything now.

sky

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 3:14 pm
For my grandmothers birthday a few years ago we printed a cookbook for each of her grandchildren with her recipes. I’m so happy we did that because I don’t know if we would still be able to get them anymore.

I think I got it as an idea on here when looking for party favor ideas. It was the best.

yo'ma

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 9:19 am
Squishy wrote:

My recipes are somewhat organized. When my grandmother was niftar, my mother said we each can choose one or two things from her stuff that my mother put on the side for us. Since I live so far away, one of the things I chose was her recipes on index cards. I rarely look at it and they weren't all her recipes, but it's nice to have Smile .

Amalia

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 9:56 am
ra_mom wrote:
My binder is 4" thick, maybe 600 pages, like 25 categories. TMI

Ooooh, I would love to see it! My mouth is actually watering just at the thought of it!

lucky14

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 11:41 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I just bought multiple binders and page protectors. I have lots of recipes I rip out of magazines so I insert those in the protectors immediately and I type up my others , print them and keep them in binders. I have a hard time using my phone or tablet while cooking or baking and prefer having it on paper in front of me. The page protectors can be wiped clean even if something splatters on it.
Each binder is a different category: Meat/Chicken, Fish, Dairy (includes dairy desserts as well) , Soups, Side Dishes and Salads, Cakes and Desserts. Thats 6 separate binders.

I do the same!
I've also ripped out tons from magazines, printed from computer, and hand written.
I have a binder for chilcken/meat/fish recipes and side dishes, and one for deserts, and another for pastas and other dairy mains. I organize the recipes by type in each binder so they are easy to find (ex: kugels together, baked chicken, shnitzel, cookies, cakes, specific yom tov recipes, etc.) They're getting filled up though so I'm going to need more soon.
When I make a recipe I take that page out of the binder and put it on the counter so it's easy to look at. As thunderstorm said- they can be wiped off so that's awesome. Then I just put it back in when finished.
It took a bit of time to organize but it's SO worth it.
I also prefer this so much more than using my phone (and having to worry about it getting messy).

aricelli

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 11:59 am
We recently photocopied my grandmas recipes in her spidery handwriting to share with the family-
Its priceless! A pinch if this and a handful of that and just a lick of the other thing... so its hard to recreate but its precious

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 5:55 pm
I use an app called awesome note or anote. Basically it’s folders. I have a folder for soups, 1 for sides, mains, desserts etc. you can also put pictures in. It’s really convenient always on my phone and I can so easily edit and copy recipes to email them to friends.
It also backs up to Evernote and google docs I think so I know there’s backup.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen