Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How did Danny Baker think hed not get fired?
Previous  1  2

zohar

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 1:36 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Yes, people care that she's bi-racial.

And yes, the racist trope about people of color looking like monkeys is well-known. In fact, it was in the UK news with respect to racist chants at soccer (football) matches just days earlier. And periodically through the years.

In any case, how does it insult "royals in general." Its not, as another poster claims, a circus photo. The couple is well-dressed. Even Baker describes it as a photo of a "chimp dressed as a Lord" -- describing a mixed-race baby as a chimp.

Its sad that posters here have roundly -- and rightly -- condemned the NY Times for publishing a cartoon whose racism depends on the fact that it is based on racist trope, while at the same time claiming that depicting a child of color (or of mixed origin) as a chimp isn't at all racist.

It was racist. It should be condemned.

I agree that it's correct to take it down because it can easily be seen as racist. But we have to acknowledge that his intentions were most likely innocent and to show him some Grace.

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 1:49 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Yes, people care that she's bi-racial.

And yes, the racist trope about people of color looking like monkeys is well-known. In fact, it was in the UK news with respect to racist chants at soccer (football) matches just days earlier. And periodically through the years.

In any case, how does it insult "royals in general." Its not, as another poster claims, a circus photo. The couple is well-dressed. Even Baker describes it as a photo of a "chimp dressed as a Lord" -- describing a mixed-race baby as a chimp.

Its sad that posters here have roundly -- and rightly -- condemned the NY Times for publishing a cartoon whose racism depends on the fact that it is based on racist trope, while at the same time claiming that depicting a child of color (or of mixed origin) as a chimp isn't at all racist.

It was racist. It should be condemned.

Danny Baker said it was commentary on the circus surrounding the baby's announcement. I didn't claim anything.

There is the possibility of innocent intentions. Not everything is black and white racist versus woke.

Maybe the fact the NYT's cartoons resembled the German cartoons proceeding state sponsored murder of millions makes their intentions clear.

If this was a picture of a biracial couple with a monkey child, then the two are comparable. Right now it is a picture of an upper class couple with a monkey child making his explanation plausible.

Mevater

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 7:09 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Wow, I can’t believe you said this. You realise that on this site there are biracial Jewish imamothers? And some are single-raced Black imamothers. Those married to White DHs will have biracial, frum Jewish kids. And some White Imas on here have Black, frum Jewish husbands. Sorry that this is something you are merely “getting used to” but it is a reality, not an idea.

Youre right. I hear you.

Ive lived a sheltered life, away from any of the above. I just dont see it in my neck of the woods at all.

With that, Im not judging anyone, Im saying "Live and let live".

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 7:18 pm
Mevater wrote:
Youre right. I hear you.

Ive lived a sheltered life, away from any of the above. I just dont see it in my neck of the woods at all.

With that, Im not judging anyone, Im saying "Live and let live".

The screen hides people’s skin hues. You’re interacting with a larger variety of people than you think. 👊

Mevater

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 7:33 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
The screen hides people’s skin hues. You’re interacting with a larger variety of people than you think. 👊

Thats definitely true.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics