Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Babysitting: per month or hour & other qestions

amother

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 9:32 am
Until now I did babysitting at home by the hour. When the child came, I got paid. 2 parents are the same as last years (the next child IYH). I would continue to charge them per hour as I've done until now.
Someone else asked if we could have a monthly rate. That would mean (in her words:) even tishrei & pesach time I'd get paid the same price.
Sounds great. But I am a bit afraid to get messed up. Should I go for it? And if I do, I think certain rules would need to be set into place. For example:

- Starts from Sep 1st or Sept 8 when school starts? Until when? (I need to check dates on calendar to figure out how to do this)

- I figured out a price based on 125 hours (what she'll be using me for per month). I think it would be ridiculous to charge her for every minute past 4:00. But I don't think it would be fair to let her run in for "quick" dr's appts. or stores or whatever on the way home if I'm not being paid for it. I am giving her a discount for the time her child will be here, don't forget! This past year I've given an extra 10 minutes for her to get here for 1 parent that was paying a set amount per week. But other times she was 15-20 minutes early.
If I tell this woman up to 10 min per day, calculate x20 days comes out to 200 minutes! Alot of free babysitting time! (And she may start taking advantage of that time thinking she's paying for it.
My idea was to tell her she has up until 4:10 on MY clock to be here, or else she gets charged "overtime" from 4:00 for that day. Does that make sense?
Or is there another idea?
Do I write a contract & have her sign? I don't do it on the books, & don't want to get in trouble, but I don't want her to break the rules either. DH doesn't trust them & feels that they may choose to run the show their way, and I may get stepped on. They are the kind of ppl that think they have no $$, yet they do seem to be doing much better than us. They look at us like how dare we act as if we don't have the money to spend on something when if they can afford it, then we must be able to afford it.

Are there any other factors I need to clarify before taking on this job?
Thanks.
(located in NY if it makes a dif.)

amother

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 9:46 am
I dont think the monthly thing will work for you. If you want to charge for every extra minute but gladly accept the tishrei and pesach money then it wont work.

Marion

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 9:50 am
amother wrote:
I dont think the monthly thing will work for you. If you want to charge for every extra minute but gladly accept the tishrei and pesach money then it wont work.

Why not? That's what all the registered daycares do. I pay my full fee every month (including August when they're closed for 3.5 weeks, April, and September/October), just like I get paid my full salary every month. I also pay a late fee if I pick up a moment after the agreed upon time.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 10:06 am
First of all, I am already giving her "free time" by charging less than I would make per hour. For example, If I watch her child for 125 hours per month, x $6 would bring it to $750 per month. But I only charge her $675-$700 per month. So she's already getting an extra 12 hours off.
I would give her the extra few minutes (according to when she finishes work & when she'd get back to me, she should have plenty of time to be here already. But giving an extra 10 minutes I think is plenty! But am I supposed to work nights&weekends as well since she's paying a monthly rate? An extra hour whenever she has an appointment? Where do I cut off?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 10:56 am
I run a babysitting program also and I get paid weekly. so the way I work it is like this every parent is given 30 mins a day to drop off and pick up there child. if a parent is late I charge more money. for example, joey is supposed to be dropped off at 9 and picked up at 5. so if his parents drop him off at 845 and pick him up and 515 thats fine. but if they come even a min later I charge them a late fee. for me its five dollars. I charge four dollars per child. if I work out with the parents before hand that they are going to be early or late or what not they only have to pay the four dollars. the way I work with weekly rates is I do give the full time parents meaning over 20 hours per week some money off. but I honeslty believe with you adn doing the monthly thing come up with an amount of time that both of you feel is fair and be upfront that your NOt going to look on the clock and count seconds but your time is money and if she is late picking up her child htan it will cost her more money. come up with an amount and the next month add it onto her bill. as far as when does a month start thats up to you. if it were me I would start rosh chodesh or sept first. so let say you said school starts sept 8th rosh chodesh makes more sense bc its on the 18th of sept. so you charge her a daily fee until rosh chodesh and than start with your monthly fee. good luck and stand your ground or you will be taken advantage of...

yerushamama

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 7:05 am
I work out my monthly fee by calculating how many hours I would work over the course of the year and dividing it by 11 months (I don't charge for August). As for overtime, I give a bit of leeway if they call to speak to me first, but if they stam come late to pick up their child, there is a punitive late fee. I have them sign a contract which outlines everything clearly, and have very few problems with overtime. The main thing is to spell everything out in advance.

dankbar

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:15 am
You are answering a question a poster asked 10 yrs ago.
If you are sharing this info for others to know fine. If you want to help OP then she most probably is gone already

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 5:56 am
Well it depends. Many go by day.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 2:12 pm
I’m also thinking of starting to do a home day care, I got my license 2 years ago. It’s just that I have my own 2 kids under 18 months who are already attending a home day care run by a wonderful lady and I’m thinking do I really want to start with my own day care? I have so many great ideas how I would do it and all fun things I would do with the kids, its just that Im afraid to start, like what if I won’t like it/get sick of it/want my freedom? What are your impressions working as a home day care teacher?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers