Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
When do you set your shabbes table?
Previous  1  2  3

lucky14

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:43 am
No kitchen table for us so no point in doing it so early. I usually set the table after I light candles. My goal would be to do it a bit earlier on Friday afternoon. Impressed with those of you who do it on Thursday.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:44 am
Lydia wrote:
To change the plastic tablecloth when there are leichter on it: Put down two plastic tablecloths before Shabbos. Then put on the leichter. Cut a circle in the top layer of tablecloth around where the leichter are sitting. Then after the night seuda, you can roll up the top layer and lift it up over the leichter. You have a fresh plastic layer for the daytime seuda.

Such a smart idea thanks

Tzutzie

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:51 am
Lately Dh puts the white table cloth on the table and prepares the candles and candle sticks on Thursday night. It really sets the tone for Friday.
Then Friday afternoon before zman shabbos I rewarm the challos, put it on the table with the minimal settings like put napkins in the nice napkin holder, salt, kiddush cup....

The rest goes after zman.

greatfulmom

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:55 am
Thursday night! Everything including cutlery, dinnerware as well. Only the silverware is put out Friday afternoon because of tarnishing. I recently gave the job to my ds and I love it to wake up Friday to a beautifully set table!!

Israeli_C

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:08 am
I had a little chuckle at all those worrying about their silverware tarnishing
My disposables hold up great allllllll night! Very Happy

SixOfWands

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:14 am
greatfulmom wrote:
Thursday night! Everything including cutlery, dinnerware as well. Only the silverware is put out Friday afternoon because of tarnishing. I recently gave the job to my ds and I love it to wake up Friday to a beautifully set table!!

Does your silverware really tarnish that quickly? I use silver plate (antique), and it really doesn't.

Of course, I also set the table about 5 minutes before we eat. We don't have an eat-in kitchen, and the thought of policing dairy (including coffee) consumption for longer than absolutely necessary is frightening.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:16 am
This week I did it Wednesday afternoon. Most of the time Thursday. Sometimes if I'm wiped it happeneds Friday.

dee's mommy

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:15 pm
I don't set the table. My husband usually does. Before shul, he will put the cloth on, and when he comes back, he will set the table. (We don't before because of a young child in the house.)

groisamomma

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:25 pm
We keep the dining room table Shabbos'dik all week. DD puts away the chargers and rolls the cloth napkins ready for the next week on motzei Shabbos. Even if the house is a wreck, and there's nothing cooked, the Shabbos table is the first thing we do, usually on Thursday night.

froodles

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:48 pm
I put the tablecloth, candles, challa board and napkin holder on while my kids are at school friday morning. I like when they see that "shabbos is coming" look when they walk in. One of my children will put out the place settings in the afternoon...I rotate this job so they'll all learn how to set it!

chocolatecake

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:11 pm
My dining room is table is also a homework table and I have little kids that touch everything. I have the shabbos tablecloth on before I light but I only actually set the table while dh is in shul.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:19 pm
In my mothers house the table must be fully set Thursday night. Growing up we each had different jobs. Putting on the tablecloth was one, another the dishes, the other the cutlery, someone did the glasses and the napkins etc. Even setting out the alcohol drinks (at leat 3-4 types each week) was one of the jobs. She was very rigid about it and I remember getting annoyed every time she reminded us that we didnt finish our jobs. "Seriously ma, johnnie walker can wait till tomorrow"... But honestly I loved seeing that set table, it meant shabbos is really close. It changes the atmosphere.

I would like to see myself, one day, setting my shabbos table thursday night but I wouldnt make it such a pressure like my mother did.

sky

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 10:24 pm
Our dining room table is a gathering area all week and is a mess. Thursday evening kids have job to clear it. Put on tablecloth.
Friday morning DH setup candles, challah tray and kiddush cup.
Table gets fully set when kids are in the mood on Friday , sometimes after candle lighting. I don’t mind when as long as the tablecloth is on.
I work Friday so try that all food is made Thursday and just minor tasks are needed on Friday.

rainbow dash

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 12:34 am
Wednesday my house gets cleaned, Thursday I do all the cooking except for the cholent and fish. Friday morning I set the table fully. I have a buffet so I put out the candle sticks then. I have my shabbos tablecloth on all week covered with a plastic. I don't have the energy to iron it every week. I would love to set the table thu night but dh claims that by Fri it's dusty. I love how that even if the rest of the house is flying I look at the table and calm down.

zaq

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 3:10 am
rainbow dash wrote:
. I would love to set the table thu night but dh claims that by Fri it's dusty. .

Your dh is right. Cover the table with a clean sheet after you set it. A word to the lady who sets her table Wednesday: you, too. Especially if you sweep or vacuum the floor at some point after setting the table.

teachkids

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 4:25 am
We only have 1 table and lunch is eaten at home on Friday. The goal is to have the table cloth on before I light. Sometimes I manage to set the table totally, sometimes the tablecloth isn't on yet.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, May 10 2019, 4:38 am
My girls set the table for Shabbos when they get home from school on Friday.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 3:14 am
Thursday????? I couldn't. Friday. I don't like early pressure

Metukah

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 3:33 am
My shabbos table is usually set on Thursday night. Including silverware and candlesticks.

I prepare shabbos on Thursday, mostly Thursday morning. I say prepare, not cook, because some foods I prepare raw and cook on Friday. Cholent ready prepared in the pot gets put on the flame on Friday morning. Same for chicken soup. Chicken and fish get baked on Friday but they are ready prepared in a pan.

I work on Friday and I like the house to be completely ready for shabbos when I leave the house.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics