Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Masa Awards 2019-2020

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:52 am
DD just got a $200 grant from Masa for seminary (2019-2020). Was wondering if this was the standard grant amount for NY for this time period. Did anyone else get an award notification yet?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 4:18 pm
I applied and haven't heard anything from them

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 4:47 pm
I heard - can not vouch for the accuracy- that the grants for this year have been significantly reduced.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 4:59 pm
when I was in seminary in 2007 I got 3k (Lived in US)and most people got more than that. Sounds like they significantly cut back

Batsheva1

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:00 pm
I know it's disappointing, but that is the situation. Masa grants for yeshiva/seminary are that little nowadays. They cut the grants (probably knowing that this demographic will go anyway.) I know of a family where two sisters went the same year. The sister that went to a seminary got $200 and the sister that did something more eclectic got $2500. When they asked about it, they were told that the grants for religious studies were cut.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:30 pm
Batsheva1 wrote:
I know it's disappointing, but that is the situation. Masa grants for yeshiva/seminary are that little nowadays. They cut the grants (probably knowing that this demographic will go anyway.) I know of a family where two sisters went the same year. The sister that went to a seminary got $200 and the sister that did something more eclectic got $2500. When they asked about it, they were told that the grants for religious studies were cut.

Wow. I’m just curious what type of school/ program is considered to be more eclectic.

amother
Red

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 6:24 pm
My dd got $200 masa last BH year.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:25 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
when I was in seminary in 2007 I got 3k (Lived in US)and most people got more than that. Sounds like they significantly cut back

Were you OOT?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:08 am
just got email from them this morning and bh approved for $2900

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 3:38 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
just got email from them this morning and bh approved for $2900

Where do you live? (You don't have to be specific, just country is fine).

amother
Mint

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 12:36 am
I live in NJ

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 8:52 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I live in NJ

Is your son or daughter going to a seminary/yeshiva or some other program? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to make sense of this whole thing...

amother
Mint

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 9:27 am
seminary

life is fun

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 10:40 am
how long does it take to get a response? just sent it off now

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 11:30 am
life is fun wrote:

Our response took about 2 weeks but as I said earlier we sent it in the day it came out.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 11:35 am
Why are they asking which college she will be attending?
I don't know that yet

amother
Mint

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 11:41 am
Quote:

my response took 3 weeks

Batsheva1

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow. I’m just curious what type of school/ program is considered to be more eclectic.

There are many programs that are not yeshiva/seminary related. Working on a farm or kibbutz, ulpan, hundreds of volunteer opportunities, and internships. This girl did what was called "maslul ishi" - or itrack in English. She did 4 things over the year, a kibbutz/ulpan, volunteered for the army (sar-el,) walked the Israel trail with a group. It took 6 weeks from Eilat to Golan and one more thing. Each program cost money (except sar-el) and masa helped coordinate it and she personalized the year with things she wanted to do. Learning in seminary was not for her. Her year was a fraction of the cost of her sister's was plus she got a large masa grant.

life is fun

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 2:06 pm
thanks everyone for your responses.....will start waiting now
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics