Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Kitchen design: eat-in table, or bar?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 11:25 pm
Would you prefer a table with chairs (around 6), which would take up space in a not-very-large kitchen, but be a mentschlich seating space...
Or-
A bar with stools that push under for storage. The bar would literally be facing a wall, not a cut through window into another room.

lucky14

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 11:31 pm
A table and chairs. More comfy and more family-friendly IMO. Facing each other vs. facing a wall...I'm sure it's personal preference though.

justmarried:)

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 11:37 pm
Table and chairs.

mha3484

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 11:37 pm
My kitchen table has sides that go down so I can make it bigger or smaller based on who is eating.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:27 am
Thank you for all the responses!
Would you have the table even though it makes the room much less spacious?I
If you had to convince someone why lots of spaciousness with a bar facing a wall is not a good idea, what would you tell them?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:55 am
We got rid of the Bar that faced a wall and put in a table and chairs and it's cramped. But I think families should be able to face each other across the table and all sit together for meals as much as possible. A bar is great if it's for quick breakfast or snack time. It takes away the special feeling of dinner with the family imo.

lucky14

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 1:06 am
thunderstorm wrote:
We got rid of the Bar that faced a wall and put in a table and chairs and it's cramped. But I think families should be able to face each other across the table and all sit together for meals as much as possible. A bar is great if it's for quick breakfast or snack time. It takes away the special feeling of dinner with the family imo.

This exactly. Unless you're planning on eating all meals around the dining room table- which would mean the bar would be unnecessary. Even breakfast time can be bonding time in a family.

challahchallah

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 1:19 am
Could you get a bar or table that's easy to move so you can pull it out when in use then put it up against the wall when you want the room?

soap suds

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 1:48 am
A bar, as long as there's a table and chairs in the dining room, so you can eat dinner as a family.

pause

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 1:51 am
Table. I find a bar and bar stools/chairs too high for kids to get on and off easily.

camp123

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 5:40 am
For sure table and chairs

newme

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 8:37 am
When we redid our kitchen I needed the extra cupboard space. So we put in a bar for breakfasts / snack times and eat family meals in teh dining room.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 8:41 am
challahchallah wrote:
Could you get a bar or table that's easy to move so you can pull it out when in use then put it up against the wall when you want the room?

We're have that. It's really cool and has folding stools. It flips up from the wall like a Murphy bed.

MitzadSheini

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 8:43 am
I think eating at a table is more "Jewish" and a bar less so.

agree with the idea of something you can fold to make more space

agree that bar stools are not great for little kids

aricelli

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 8:57 am
newme wrote:
When we redid our kitchen I needed the extra cupboard space. So we put in a bar for breakfasts / snack times and eat family meals in teh dining room.

I would love to get rid of my kitchen table to make space for a couch and do this- is it working out well for you?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 9:36 am
In general, a table and chairs. But how is it that a bar would have to face the wall if there's room for a table and chairs?

Sounds to me like the design should be analyzed more closely. Maybe you're missing something.

zohar

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 9:43 am
Would a breakfast nook work? Bench against wall? You can even get stools so you can store them under the table, but personally I'd stick with chairs.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 9:44 am
We have a bar. We never use it.

teachkids

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 10:26 am
I would do a bar that faces the kitchen (put the chairs between the wall and the bar) gives you more functional work space when needed and it's a nice place for kids to sit and snack or work while you cook and chat. But you'll end up eating meals in your dining room

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 3:48 pm
[quote="Rubber Ducky"]In general, a table and chairs. But how is it that a bar would have to face the wall if there's room for a table and chairs?

Sounds to me like the design should be analyzed more closely. Maybe you're missing something.[/quote

It's a different space.

I can get in extra counters and cabinets if for eating I just put a bar against another wall, but if I eliminate those counters and cabinets, I have approximately 8 feet by 8 feet of space.
Is that enough space for a kitchen table seating minimum six people? (Chairs or benches)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics