Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How long do you keep ground spices (like Cinnamon)?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 11:07 am
I just discovered Cinnamon that I bought in 2017 (sometimes I mark the container with the year I bought it, so Ill know).

If I buy one on Pesach and have one for Chametz I end up with two and they dont get used up that quickly.

I was about to throw it out but I just read:

Spices that are finely ground, like nutmeg, cinnamon, cumin, and curry, last around 2-3 years. Whole spices, like cloves and cinnamon sticks, that are dried in their natural whole form have a longer shelf life. They can be kept for up to 4-5 years before they become stale.Jun 17, 2016

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.....9844/

dankbar

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 11:49 am
I keep it in freezer & keep till finish it

I have a few bottles cinnamon for that reason, after pesach I used to take it for chometz, in addition to one I had. Now I put it away with pesach stuff, for next year pesach

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:09 pm
dankbar wrote:
I keep it in freezer & keep till finish it

I have a few bottles cinnamon for that reason, after pesach I used to take it for chometz, in addition to one I had. Now I put it away with pesach stuff, for next year pesach

For me, and probably most here, theres no way Id have enough freezer space to store spices.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:19 pm
I keep spices forever. Never thought its a problem...

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:20 pm
Best is when you use up the all year round spice, take the pesach one out instead of buying a new one. The pesach one is otherwise almost impossible to use up in the the 2-3 year time frame.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:42 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I keep spices forever. Never thought its a problem...

I do this also. Things like garlic and paprika tend to lose their potency, so I'll throw them out. I don't like transferring them for year round use because brands like Lieber's often aren't as good as the spices I use during the year.

Other ground spices, like nutmeg, seem to last for years. Each year, I check before I use them. If they look and smell fine, I don't worry.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:56 pm
I like the Prima spices year round and on pesach.

zaq

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 1:35 pm
Until it smells or tastes like dust. Cinnamon I use a lot so it’s not a problem. Garlic, onion, pepper ditto. If I use something so seldom that it really will wind up losing all flavor and aroma before it’s used up , it’s a sign either to buy a smaller package or to do without it entirely. It makes no sense to waste money on something that I use so little. I can live without the dish that calls for it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 4:37 pm
I keep all of my spices and seasonings in the fridge, so until they are all done.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen