Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What is a “luxury” you can’t live without?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 1:26 pm
finallyamommy wrote:
A laptop and an Internet connection. I could go without a smartphone, I didn't even get one until a few years ago, but it would be super inconvenient. But I work online, and I have friends online, and I also still have an American library card and all my books are in ebook format.

In theory, I'd love to be chareidi enough to go Internet free at home, but it's not going to happen.

How do you get library books online?

Metukah

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 1:36 pm
2gether wrote:
I thought more people would mention dry-cleaning, just saying.

I try to avoid dry cleaners like the plague. Not because of the cost. I find dry cleaning doesn't clean that well and they just mix every ones dirt together. The thought nauseates me. I find that many things, although labelled as dry clean only, can actually be washed.

Off course there are things that have to be dry cleaned and those I do send, but on the whole I'm not a very good customer of dry cleaners.

Mayflower

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 3:52 pm
- Not working on Fridays - Mon-Thurs I work full days so I can have my Fridays off. I don't think I'd be able to manage otherwise.
- Our yearly vacation
- Having a sukkah
- My two ovens and two dishwashers (OK I could and did live without dishwashers for quite a few years, but now that I've gotten used to having two, it would be very hard to give up)
- Our playroom

I have gone without a cleaning help for a while, it didnt bother me so much. I just lowered my expectations...

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 5:08 pm
Emotional wrote:
She makes an entire shabbos for you? What does she charge for such a service? Just curious.

She charged me $175 but it was her first time making Shabbos for a stranger and my first time having someone else make Shabbos for us, so neither of us knew what was appropriate.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 5:36 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
She charged me $175 but it was her first time making Shabbos for a stranger and my first time having someone else make Shabbos for us, so neither of us knew what was appropriate.

I guess it depends how many people she is cooking for. How many are you?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 5:57 pm
A wash machine. It lets me have a smaller wardrobe and fewer linens, lets me wash everything more often than if I had to haul everything to a laundromat, and lets me do laundry while doing other stuff like prepping and eating dinner.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 6:40 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I guess it depends how many people she is cooking for. How many are you?

3. 1 adult, 2 kids.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 10:18 pm
Chicken for dinner daily (we don't like dairy or parve)

notshanarishona

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 10:24 pm
Air conditioning. We lived without for a few years in E"Y and summers were really hard . I can't imagine ever going back to not having.

saw50st8

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 7:11 am
Travel. I have gone without when need be but it is the last item to go.
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics