Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Would you bring your baby?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:35 pm
I was invited to my nephews afruf in Lakewood. I have a five month old baby. Would you worry about bringing your unvaccinated baby to Lakewood? The meals are in a shul. It’s a very normal mainstream neighborhood and my sister in law said there haven’t been any incidents nor does she know of anyone that doesn’t vaccinate in neighborhood. Also Lakewood is full of babies. Do people in Lakewood not take their babies anywhere? Never to a kid such in shul? A supermarket?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:39 pm
I don't live in Lakewood but I wouldn't. I didn't take my four month old to my nephews bar Mitzvah. The doctor told me if there are little kids there I shouldn't bring the baby.

SuperWify

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:59 pm
Yes. You got to be normal. Can’t live your life in fear.

Especially if your immune and nursing your child should be fine.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 1:03 pm
No. Wait until he gets the MMR at 6 months (new guidelines).

amother
White

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 1:11 pm
From my experience anti-vaxxers are very verbal so if your sil would know if any of her friends and family were anti. Also it has been more than 21 days since the last outbreak here so I think Lakewood is in the clear now. Also the anti vaxxers are mostly in 2 circles. The very yeshivish who follow the wife of a well know rosh hayeshiva and the chassidim. If your nephew isnt a part of either group he wont have them showing up to his simcha.

But follow your pediatricians advice. You still may not want to take the risk.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:07 am
SuperWify wrote:

This is my inclination, but I’m still a little nervous. FYI I read that nursing doesn’t pass immunity or the baby. The baby can be protected from being in utero but that only lasts about a month.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:15 am
I wouldn't do it. Not just because of measles, but because other people are germy in general.

ectomorph

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:18 am
I wouldn't do it because people are not always straightforward about whether they vaccinate

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:21 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I wouldn't do it. Not just because of measles, but because other people are germy in general.

This. People pass around RSV, flu, strep, and even the common cold - I've had babies hospitalized for some of those. Much more common than measles and no effective vaccine.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is my inclination, but I’m still a little nervous. FYI I read that nursing doesn’t pass immunity or the baby. The baby can be protected from being in utero but that only lasts about a month.

My baby who was not vaccinated yet had an exposure reaction to the measles without getting sick. I am immune (positive titres) and he was exclusively nursing at the time. There's no guarantee but if you know for sure that you're immune and you're exclusively nursing I would bring him but keep him close to me at all times.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:32 am
I had a newborn baby and went to a hotel for pesach. I was abit uncomfortable with such a large group of people (who might be unvaxxed), but asked Hashem for Siyatta Dishmaya, and went. Because life continues and you need to go sometimes. Bh he's healthy. Go and enjoy.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:35 am
I would go. We need to go on with our lives, we can't live in fear and stay locked up at home. Babies can contract measles anyhwere, not just in Lakewood.

little neshamala

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:35 am
SuperWify wrote:

I respectfully disagree with applying this to a measles situation. I dont know what lakewood's exact situation is right now concerning measles, I live in monsey-but saying you got to be normal and cant live in fear makes no sense.

If lakewood has recent cases of measles, I wouldnt bring the baby. If he has not been vaccinated, he is not immune. If he breathes air that someone with measles coughed in 2 hours prior, he has a 90% chance of catching it.

It is a lot easier to just go about life and not live in fear. But there's a 43 year old woman ancd a 10 year old boy in comas with peprmanent brain damage from the measles. There is reason to make yourself crazy and not live life normally when there is a reasonable chance that your baby will be exposed to measles.

Pediatricians in monsey recommend keeping your baby home until vaccinated. Again, I dont know what lakewood's measles situation is, but if there have been cases recently I would not bring a baby.

gamanit

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:40 am
little neshamala wrote:
I respectfully disagree with applying this to a measles situation. I dont know what lakewood's exact situation is right now concerning measles, I live in monsey-but saying you got to be normal and cant live in fear makes no sense.

If lakewood has recent cases of measles, I wouldnt bring the baby. If he has not been vaccinated, he is not immune. If he breathes air that someone with measles coughed in 2 hours prior, he has a 90% chance of catching it.

It is a lot easier to just go about life and not live in fear. But there's a 43 year old woman ancd a 10 year old boy in comas with peprmanent brain damage from the measles. There is reason to make yourself crazy and not live life normally when there is a reasonable chance that your baby will be exposed to measles.

Pediatricians in monsey recommend keeping your baby home until vaccinated. Again, I dont know what lakewood's measles situation is, but if there have been cases recently I would not bring a baby.

That's factually incorrect. While the immunity of an exclusively nursing baby of immune mother is lower than a vaccinated individual it is better than no immunity. I don't believe there are any significant studies showing the rate of immunity since no one is volunteering their baby to be a test subject of such a study but the chances of getting sick after exposure are probably more in the range of 1-5%. There hasn't been much talk about measles in Lakewood so it's probably better to get info from someone who lives there if they're aware of the current situation.

MiriFr

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:42 am
I would absolutely not bring him

little neshamala

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:43 am
gamanit wrote:
That's factually incorrect. While the immunity of an exclusively nursing baby of immune mother is lower than a vaccinated individual it is better than no immunity. .

What did I say that is incorrect? Of course. I dont disagree with this.
But a nursing baby is still not immune.
I know of 3 nursing infants who caught measles.

gamanit

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:46 am
little neshamala wrote:
What did I say that is incorrect? Of course. I dont disagree with this.
But a nursing baby is still not immune.
I know of 3 nursing infants who caught measles.

little neshamala wrote:

Oy those poor babies. How old are/were they? How are they doing? Were the mothers known to be immune?

little neshamala

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:47 am
According to the NJ department of health the outbreak in NJ is not over. Most recent known exposure was on april 23.

little neshamala

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:50 am
gamanit wrote:
Oy those poor babies. How old are/were they? How are they doing? Were the mothers known to be immune?

The mothers were immune. 1 of them BH did ok. 1 of them did not do well at all and was hospitalized for a while and was in a very scary place but BH now is ok. Im embarassed to say I dont know how the 3rd one is. I dont know them well, it was brought up in a conversation with a lot of people....hopefully ok because I havent heard anything ...

ETA I hear what youre saying about whether or not the nursing infants are totally not immune and have a 90% chance of catching it....all I know is that pediatricians here are not acknowledging immunity from nursing as a factor when advising mothers to quarantine their infants. And they do warn that they have a 90% chance of catching it if exposed...maybe nursing does help a little, but theres no way to know how much-and according to the news, many if not most of the measles victims have been infants

SuperWify

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 12:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My pediatrician said otherwise.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics