Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Travel with baby?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 12:35 pm
I’d like to join DH on a business trip to China.
It’s a great opportunity to see the place and to have a much needed getaway for ourselves.

I have a 5 month old baby and I was thinking of it won’t be difficult to travel with her.

Has anyone experienced flying with a baby? Being in a strange place? Etc?

Please enlighten me on any details I am not thinking of so I can make my decision. Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 12:36 pm
Edited to add- I will have downtime for myself when DH attends his business ventures there.

It’s mainly the travel, and baby being on a messed up schedule, etc

forgetit

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 12:38 pm
I've found 5 month olds to be very, very adaptable. They don't need to run around and they don't buck against sitting in one place. They dont need a ton of toys. They still sleep quite a bit. But you know your baby best. Is the baby very restless? Hard time sleeping? Not do well without entertainment?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 12:40 pm
In my experience, that's the easiest age to travel with!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 12:42 pm
You don't mention where you're flying from, but most places are a pretty far distance from China. For such a long flight I would strongly recommend buying a seat for the baby and having her sleep in her car seat in her own seat. Otherwise it's a long time, and physically draining, to have her in your arms.

pesek zman

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 12:43 pm
Depends on your baby. Baby jet lag is a btch and if your baby can’t sleep well on the plane that will be torture too.

Zehava

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 1:09 pm
I wouldn’t recommend it. For so many reasons. Will you be flying economy? Even without a baby that’ll be really hard for you, with a baby it’ll be a nightmare.

Moonlight

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 1:39 pm
I've done it but not intentionally

nnmom

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 1:57 pm
5 months was a great time to travel internationally with baby.
Don’t recommend after 8+ months when baby is more active. I’ve done it with all baby ages.

ggdm

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:05 am
Traveling with a baby is much harder if the baby wants to move around. So 5 months is much better than 9 months. But travel is stresssful for some people, even without a baby. Especially a long flight. And how much would you need to travel there? How good are you in general with being away? How long are you there? What do you want to do? How baby-compatible is that?

I have traveled with my 8 month old last winter. It was only a few hours flight, negligible time difference. Trip was fine. He was sleeping most of the time, but getting restless at the end of the trip. You are allowed to take everything you need for the baby (water, food, formula, diapers, cream, ...). We had a seat on the plane where we put his car seat and that was definitely worth it. It would have been so much more difficult to hold him all the flight. And that was a shortish flight!

We went to Israel, so had no problem with a foreign environment, strange food, unknown mentality or inadequate sanitation etc. The baby was ok being carried around for sightseeing most of the day, sleeping, watching. We had to plan more breaks than we would normally have done. We became experts in changing him in weird places and I nursed everywhere (bus, restaurant, park, random house entrance, church courtyard, ...). But it was impossible to go out for dinner with him. We stayed in an appartement and not a hotel, which was great, as we had more space and were able to prepare his meals easier and cook our dinners and breakfast. But he was moving around at the time. 5 months would be easier.

I would try to picture what you want to do on the trip. And then imagine doing that with you baby. Spend the whole day in a museum? Ok, how long does your child sleep in the carriage, how self-concious are you if he cries in a very quiet place, how often do you nurse/feed/change, how do you feel doing that in a hallway with lots of strangers or bathroom of questionable cleanliness? Spend all day walking the city? Same questions minus quiet plus weather. Basically if you did the same thing (museum, tour, ...) now in your city with your baby, would you enjoy it or find it stressful? And then factor in the stress of the flight. That should give you a good idea.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:29 am
That age is very "portable" I'd go for it. This age is perfect and I wouldn't give up such an opportunity.

Order a bassinet seat if possible/ extra leg room a bonus
Take along a doona

yerushamama

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 9:16 am
I live in Israel, and used to travel "once a baby" with up to 3 children, including one under 6 months old. B"H my kids were always great travelers, but there were usually lots of screaming babies on the flight. If you choose to fly with your baby, make sure to have her ears checked a day or so before the trip, and make sure she has something to suck on during take off and landing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics