Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Switching to forward facing car seat for 1 year old

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 5:34 pm
I know they say it's best to keep them in their car seat for as long as possible. However, my baby has reflux and the infant reclining car seat seems to exacerbate it. He has vomited numerous times in it and I'm pretty sure the car seat is the culprit (he doesn't really vomit anymore otherwise). His gastreonologist also told me the position isn't good. I think he'll be much happier sitting up and forward facing. I feel guilty doing this but I think it's even more unsafe to have a baby vomit while strapped in and driving so that there's nothing I can do. Does this sound okay?

Also, I'm looking into car seats now and just can't decide. Any recommendations for something easy to install, easy latch system, easy seat cover removal and obviously, SAFE?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 5:34 pm
You need to look at your state laws. In my state, it’s illegal to turn a baby around before age 2.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 5:35 pm
The have upright backward facing seats.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 5:37 pm
My baby was miserable and screaming in the car till I put her in a front facing at 15 months.

amother
Green

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 5:41 pm
Whatever seat you're going to get for his size is going to work both forward and rear facing. I would try the toddler seat rear facing, as upright as the seat allows. It's almost definitely more upright than the infant seat. If that still doesn't work, try it forward facing.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 6:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know they say it's best to keep them in their car seat for as long as possible. However, my baby has reflux and the infant reclining car seat seems to exacerbate it. He has vomited numerous times in it and I'm pretty sure the car seat is the culprit (he doesn't really vomit anymore otherwise). His gastreonologist also told me the position isn't good. I think he'll be much happier sitting up and forward facing. I feel guilty doing this but I think it's even more unsafe to have a baby vomit while strapped in and driving so that there's nothing I can do. Does this sound okay?

Also, I'm looking into car seats now and just can't decide. Any recommendations for something easy to install, easy latch system, easy seat cover removal and obviously, SAFE?

So he's still in the "bucket' seat?

monkeys

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 7:39 pm
My baby hated the infant seat and is very happy in the Diono Radian RXT rear facing. Also had reflux. Rear facing is much much safer. It’s illegal where I live to forward face before 2 years old.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 8:47 pm
Just out of curiosity, which states require rear-facing until age 2? I know this is what is recommended, but I didn't know the laws were following that anywhere

happinessseeker

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 9:01 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Just out of curiosity, which states require rear-facing until age 2? I know this is what is recommended, but I didn't know the laws were following that anywhere

NY

SuperWify

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 9:14 pm
OP one is way too young for forward facing. I went to my my car seat checked at the fire house and cop said keep them there as long as possible- EVEN if his feet are squished and it’s uncomfortable- at least until two. In the event of an accident cv”s this is much much safer.

Any car seat can be put either way and most are good through 6 years old.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 9:25 pm
Quote:

NY

FYI I just looked up the NY state laws and it looks like this is not going into effect until November 1, 2019
I travel to NY often and was wondering so I can be careful there. My kids are very tall and I always end up turning them around closer to 15 months. It's hard when they're used to forward-facing and then you need to switch them back to rear-facing when travelling Sad

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 9:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I feel guilty doing this but I think it's even more unsafe to have a baby vomit while strapped in and driving so that there's nothing I can do. Does this sound okay?

How old is the baby?

I don't mean to sound nasty, but no, this doesn't sound "okay." There are government agencies that spend a lot of taxpayer dollars to run tests on these sorts of things and there are reasons that these guidelines exist.... basically, your baby is much better protected in an accident if he is rear facing (there are a number of studies you can read about this, etc.). I have not heard of any permanent damage sustained to a baby by sitting in a yucky outfit for a little while.

My suggestion would be for you to reach out to a local car seat technician-- there is likely a program at a nearby childrens hospital and ask for suggestions. I have found that doctors are not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to car seat safety--- it's just not their area of expertise.

you can check up on car seat laws by state here: saferide4kids.com--- My state also requires kids to be rear-facing until age 2.

In addition, I recommend you reach out to a local car seat technician (check at a local childrens hospital) to see if he/she can help you. If you are buying a new convertible seat, she can help you find something that has a more upright position for rear facing.

All seats on the market will be "safe"-- some will fit better in your car than others, have more features, etc.....

amother
Green

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 9:28 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Quote:

NY

FYI I just looked up the NY state laws and it looks like this is not going into effect until November 1, 2019
I travel to NY often and was wondering so I can be careful there. My kids are very tall and I always end up turning them around closer to 15 months. It's hard when they're used to forward-facing and then you need to switch them back to rear-facing when travelling Sad

There are seats on the market that can accommodate even 4 year olds rear facing. I would look into those if I had extraordinarily tall kids. Mine are not off the charts tall so I've never had a problem rear facing them until age 3.

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 9:28 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Quote:

NY

I'm not sure if you need to turn your kids around if you're travelling to a different state. My guess is that you need to follow the rules according to what state your car is registered in. But it's worth looking into.

monkeys

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 9:35 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

CA
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics