Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Measles Vaccine MMR for 6 month old
1  2  Next

neverbored

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 7:44 am
Due to the measles outbreak, my baby’s pediatrician want to give him the MMR vaccine. Has anyone given it to their baby under 12 months? What was your experience?

amother
White

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 8:36 am
I gave it to my 9 month old son back during the mumps outbreak. He had really high fever about ten days later.

neverbored

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 9:40 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
I gave it to my 9 month old son back during the mumps outbreak. He had really high fever about ten days later.

That’s pretty common with the MMR. My kids tend to get high fever with the MMR too.

neverbored

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 9:41 am
Anyone else vaccinate their infant against measles?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 10:19 am
neverbored wrote:
Due to the measles outbreak, my baby’s pediatrician want to give him the MMR vaccine. Has anyone given it to their baby under 12 months? What was your experience?

It wasn't tested on a baby under 12 months as per vaccine insert

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 10:21 am
I gave it at 9 months. No symptoms even 10-14 days later.

Moonlight

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 10:23 am
I gave 8.5 mo before pesach
She is great. No effects at all. Cried for 1 min and done

Ellie7

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:19 am
I gave it at 9 months because of the outbreak, as well. No side effects or issues at all.

neverbored

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 4:40 pm
Bump.... anyone else? Would love to hear from more people as well.

Also, thank you to those who replied above.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 4:58 pm
Statistically, the chances of adverse effects being immediate and severe are really, really low. Even the more common mild effects are in a small percentage of cases.

Because the long-term impact on infants has not been studied, there are some that are wary, but if you live in an area of outbreak, then that has to be balanced against the known risks of complications if they do get measles.

I did not vaccinate my 9-month old, but I don't live in Williamsburg or Monsey.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 5:24 pm
I’m afraid to vaccinate my eight month old and am very careful where she goes. It’s scary to give the vaccine bec cdc never found it safe for babies so young and if Chas v’shalom they do discover side effects in babies so young it won’t come out for at least a year so honestly I’d rather wait until 12 months to give it. I don’t want my baby to be the ginnea pig to see if vaccine is safe

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 6:06 pm
Gave my daughter the MMR at 6 months old. She did great bH. Had no fever or crankiness.

sky

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 7:25 pm
I did at 6 months. He did fine.

FYI - if you give shot before 12 months they need an extra shot.

neverbored

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 10:20 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Gave my daughter the MMR at 6 months old. She did great bH. Had no fever or crankiness.

How old is the baby now? Did the dr strongly suggest you give it, or was it your choice?

neverbored

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 10:21 pm
sky wrote:
I did at 6 months. He did fine.

FYI - if you give shot before 12 months they need an extra shot.

Same question here:
How old is the baby now? Did the dr strongly suggest you give it, or was it your choice?

ggdm

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 5:24 am
See also this thread: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....59361

Gave it at 7 months after fighting to be able to give it (travel to Israel). No reaction at all. Baby is now a year and will get the shot again at the next visit which will count as being the first. So he'll get another one later, 3 total instead of 2. The doctor said it is safe from 6 months on, they usually only give it after a year because maternal antibodies may still be present at a younger age, which would make he vaccine ineffective.

Moonlight

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 6:04 am
ggdm wrote:
See also this thread: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....59361

Gave it at 7 months after fighting to be able to give it (travel to Israel). No reaction at all. Baby is now a year and will get the shot again at the next visit which will count as being the first. So he'll get another one later, 3 total instead of 2. The doctor said it is safe from 6 months on, they usually only give it after a year because maternal antibodies may still be present at a younger age, which would make he vaccine ineffective.

This is what I was told as well. It's not that it's dangerous for 6 to 12 months but less effective

amother
White

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 6:46 am
amother [ White ] wrote:

OP, if you're asking for updates, my son is 7 and as close to perfect as possible BH Wink

amother1223

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 6:53 am
I gave my baby the MMR when he just turned 10 months- I just had his titers(antibodies) checked through a blood test at 15 months and it showed he is immune- in fact the phlebotomist who read my results to me was suprised when I asked her “does this mean he doesn’t need a third dose, that he is as immune as he would be if I waited until he was 12 months old” and she was caught off guard because she didn’t know that he had gotten the MMR at 10 months (I went to another facility for blood work). Moral of the story is get the MMR early, then after 12 months have the blood test to check titers/antibodies=immunity!!!!!

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 7:08 am
neverbored wrote:

Baby is almost 12 months. I chose to give it based on where I live and the outbreak.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics