Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What to do with a home made gift you don't like
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 7:34 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Has she been in your home? Does she have a broader sense of artistic style to understand what would work with your current decor? Or do you think she’s just planning on painting her typical style and expecting you to hang it even though it doesn’t fit in?

Is there a room in your house that she doesn’t have access to? Like maybe your bedroom? If so, perhaps you can ask her to make something to fit the style and space requirements for that room, and if you don’t end up liking it enough to hang, she won’t need to know?

She's never been in my home, but I have shared pictures of it with her including my bedroom. Ironically, we discussed decor, so she is aware of how much wall space I have.

I think she is going to paint her typical style which is what I am afraid of. It's her subject matter that I am uncomfortable with in my house.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 7:45 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I truly sympathise. Art is so individual! We have a few pictures sitting in storage also. Sadly, not worth thousands.

if this girls pictures are not tznius or otherwise inapproprate, then I wouldn't hang them either.

The question is, will she know if you don't hang them?

You could hang it in your bedroom, show it to her, and then remove it.

I get a lot of art as gifts I am realizing this morning. Everything framed on my walls are gifts. Maybe I better start cluttering them up, so this doesn't keep happening.

I may just have to hang it, and then take it down. It seems like a waste.

Anyway, she just texted me that she sold another piece overnight and to pick my colors. Maybe I could ask her to paint a flower or something else.

Would it be insensitive of my to ask for a flower? Remember she is sensitive and fragile.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Her work isn't awful at all. It's not my taste. And, as Dankbar said, it's not for a frum house. I didn't lie when I encouraged her using her talent.

I was given two giant canvasses with pictures of naked ancient Greeks, by a noted artist, by a different person. The gift cost thousands of dollars. I was also given hand drawn cartoons of the love is people. Both are in storage. Why? Why do people give me gifts of art?

OP, my advice: sell them. Once a gift is yours you have every right to do with it as you wish.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I get a lot of art as gifts I am realizing this morning. Everything framed on my walls are gifts. Maybe I better start cluttering them up, so this doesn't keep happening.

I may just have to hang it, and then take it down. It seems like a waste.

Anyway, she just texted me that she sold another piece overnight and to pick my colors. Maybe I could ask her to paint a flower or something else.

Would it be insensitive of my to ask for a flower? Remember she is sensitive and fragile.

Tell her that flowers bring you calm. And that one big one detailed flower brings a smile to your face.

Mevater

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:29 am
Any chance that you can ask her to take a photo of your children that you have and like, and copy it, or embellish it with color? Or she can make up a piece of art with your favorite Passuk?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics