Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshiva dorm; how has your child grown?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 6:01 am
A spinoff of the thread. If you have or had boys in a yeshiva dorm, how have you seen them grow or not, emotionally and otherwise?

I have two in a dorm. They do their own laundry, one has to cook for himself and the other helps in the kitchen, they have to make sure they have toiletries, etc. As far as emotionally..just amazing!! It's not for everyone, but it was great for them. Especially for one of them. I see such a difference when I speak to him when he's away and then home, specifically around me.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 6:23 am
When in the right environment for the kid, dorms are wonderful. My boys gained so much independence and when they are home, they appreciate their mothers and the comforts of home life so much more! My 20 year old son, who has been dorming out of town for the past three years, said one of the best parts of Bein Hazmanim is that he doesn't have to do his own laundry Smile. He wasn't kvetching, just enjoying being pampered, which I happily do when he is home. They have also learned great communication and problem-solving skills through the yeshiva dorm experience.

I do think it makes a difference how old the kid is when they start dorming. None of my boys started before 11th grade and they adjusted very well, but I know from my friends that some of their 9th graders had a hard time dorming the first year. 14 year old may not have the maturity level and ability to adapt to different people/situations.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 6:31 am
Yes, I’m very nervous about sending ds to dorm for 9th grade. He won’t even be 14 years old...

On one hand I’m hoping like you op, that it will help him mature, learn responsibilities..

On the other hand, I’m aware that it could backfire if the supervision is not good.

He desperately wants to go away, live with other boys his age.. but he is young.. so very young..

I plan on speaking to someone from the hanhala to discuss dorm supervision before he goes. Hoping for the best..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics