Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Stranger rang bell at 4 am and then said "Sorry" (BP)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:44 am
If a stranger rang your bell at 4 am, and then said "Sorry", what would you think it was all about.

I live in a 3 family home, in the center of BP, and none of the others living in this house opened their door, so whoever it was, wasnt looking for anyone in this house. When either the front door or someone else's door opens, I hear it.

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:46 am
I would think they had the wrong address and are now posting on their forum of choice: “OMG so embarrassing....rung wrong doorbell at 4 am”

Last edited by Ravenclaw on Tue, May 14 2019, 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:46 am
I wouldn’t think much of it.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:49 am
I'd think that they were checking to see if someone was home before trying to break in. Or trying to get someone to buzz them in to rob/steal.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:50 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Or trying to get someone to buzz them in to rob/steal.

Would anyone be dumb enough to do that?

urban gypsy

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:50 am
I would think they were casing your house. Please be careful! You're not obligated to open the door to strangers.

urban gypsy

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's not dumb, it's much smarter than trying to break in and set off alarms.
Most home invasions/burglaries happen because someone let them in or their door was unlocked. Please be careful!

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:54 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
I would think they had the wrong address and are now posting on their forum of choice: “OMG so embarrassing....rung wrong doorbell at 4 am”

Whats the chance of someone arriving at a place theyre not familiar with at 4am?

Who goes anyhwere at 4 am?

If youre coming home from night shift, or from traveling abroad or from a hospital, you know what your house address is.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

In a word, yes. People do it all the time.

groovy1224

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Whats the chance of someone arriving at a place theyre not familiar with at 4am?

If youre coming home from night shift, or from traveling abroad or from a hospital, you know what your house address is.

Could've been looking to break in.

Could've been drunk, or high.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Our next door neighbor once parked in our driveway (no clue why my dad's car wasn't there, as he always parked in the driveway, but I digress) and tried to get into our house. He must have been drunk at the time. It was scary until I realized who he was. And he must have lived there at least 15 years when this happened.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:03 pm
After you open the outside front door, everyone (3 families) has a well locked front door of their own.

Whats accomplished by coming through the first door, if you have to break the next door, which takes time, and by then 3 families would hear the ruckus, and hopefully police would come?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:04 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I'd think that they were checking to see if someone was home before trying to break in. Or trying to get someone to buzz them in to rob/steal.

This

urban gypsy

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
After you open the outside front door, everyone (3 families) has a well locked front door of their own.

Whats accomplished by coming through the first door, if you have to break the next door, which takes time, and by then 3 families would hear the ruckus, and hopefully police would come?

They can pick your lock out of sight of passerby on the street.
Or maybe they really were drunk/high

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Well, they don't know that before they come in, now, do they. They might even think that someone would open the door, not just ring them in.

(1) Maybe it was a mistake. (2) Maybe they were drunk or high and just wanted to sleep it off in the hallway rather than out in the cold and rain. (3) Maybe they wanted to break in. No way of knowing. But I'd guess that given that it was 4 am, 2 and 3 are the more likely scenarios.

groovy1224

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Why are you so desperate to figure it out? Maybe the guy was a dim witted would be- thief. They exist.

Or like I said, maybe he was drunk.

Unless he's on imamother and willing to explain himself, you'll never know, so just move on.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:42 pm
Do you live in a row of houses that all look pretty much the same?

Heck, even police break down the doors of the wrong house on a regular basis. Sometimes people even get shot. Crying

For a few years I lived in a little mother-in-law cottage that used to be a drug house. I had people knocking on my back door at all hours of the night. I put on an extra lock, and a sign that said "So and So doesn't live here anymore, and there are no drugs in the house!" Some of them were so high that they still knocked, but I never opened the door.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:51 pm
I’d think to contact Shomrim and check neighbors cameras.
I’d also think to install cameras on my property ASAP just as a precaution.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 1:05 pm
My mom lives in a neighborhood with lots of non jews. It happens so often that someone drunk or high just rings the doorbell. Bh nothing ever happened.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 1:11 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
My mom lives in a neighborhood with lots of non jews. It happens so often that someone drunk or high just rings the doorbell. Bh nothing ever happened.

Im living in the same house for 30+ years and maybe it happened once or twice. Its probably less common in BP with less druggies roaming.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries