Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Opionions wanted - high school girl funding her own tuition
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Black

Post Sat, May 04 2019, 10:35 pm
Should rather ask tuition committee for a discount if can't pay full tuition. What daughter earns should be hers to keep.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 12:54 am
NO! I worked all through high school to pay for my extras, and once I finished school and got a "real job" I paid for all my own clothes and everything I needed. Whenever I shopped for my parents I would pay for the groceries, without telling my parents.

Now that I have teens, money is very tight and they also work for whatever extras they want. One of my dds is paying for most of her camp this summer and the other is doing a dance group with her friends and also paying for most herself. I try not to make them pay for the whole thing, even when I really can't afford it, because I want them to know that I care and wish I could pay. I feel that by sacrificing to pay part it shows them how much I wish I could pay for the whole thing.

But no, tuition is OUR responsibility, not theirs.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 1:28 pm
I agree that no child should be asked to pay their own tuition.

BUT...
If the parents would get a bigger tuition credit than she would get paid -LET THE PARENTS PAY HER AND SPLIT THE DIFFERENCE.

Also, on one tuition assistance form (many years ago) my mother was asked whether the daughters in question had summer jobs, and if so, how much did they earn. A school that asks such things obviously expects the child's earnings to belong to the parents (which they do, according to halacha), but it is still the wrong thing to do.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics