Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
How much does the Special Election in Flatbush today matter?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 11 2019, 8:25 pm
How important is this City Council race?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:32 am
Anyone?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:33 am
What's your question exactly?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 7:43 am
Generally each candidate in a race, forms relationships and makes promises and appeals to a certain audience, a sub-group of the voters in the area.

The wealthy politically involved constituents among those being appealed to, generally are the ones who finance each candidates campaign, wanting what the candidate promises, hoping to benefit from those promises.

Who stands to gain by each candidate winning?

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-bo.....-2019

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:19 am
Why did I get a robo call from Borough President Eric Adams if I cant vote in this election?

How important is this race?

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why did I get a robo call from Borough President Eric Adams if I cant vote in this election?

How important is this race?

I dont believe the position itself is an important one that carries any clout or has any power however it does seem to be a way into politics that leads to powerful positions such as attorney general of NY like Leticia James. Its just sad that there is only one Jewish candidate but she has no chance of winning since Jews are not eager to vote for their fellow Jews (and flatbushgirl is controversial to begin with so that doesn't help).

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:35 am
Is it possible that a typical frum Jew running in this diverse area wouldnt have had a chance of winning, and thats why only she ran?

Sebastian

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it possible that a typical frum Jew running in this diverse area wouldnt have had a chance of winning, and thats why only she ran?

She ran bc she wants attention not bc she has a chance of winning

amother
Gold

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:04 pm
WEll apparantly I went to vote and my district is not part of the special election despite me getting a voting thing in the mail. Banging head

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Personally, I hope she wins just to see what she does next but realistically, she has no chance of winning even though this neighborhood is full of Jewish people. All her opponents are African American and do not have our interest in mind at all yet we continue to give them power and then wonder why there is so much anti-semitism. Oh well. At least she tried, lets see if anyone else has the guts to run as well before they start shaming her for doing something out of the ordinary and completely different than what Orthodox woman do on a daily basis.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:10 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Personally, I hope she wins just to see what she does next but realistically, she has no chance of winning even though this neighborhood is full of Jewish people. All her opponents are African American and do not have our interest in mind at all yet we continue to give them power and then wonder why there is so much anti-semitism. Oh well. At least she tried, lets see if anyone else has the guts to run as well before they start shaming her for doing something out of the ordinary and completely different than what Orthodox woman do on a daily basis.

She isn't being shamed because she is running, people would theoretically be more than happy to vote for a Jewish female candidate. If people are speaking out, it's because of things like this that she had promoted in the past: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDqa8BJOq3I

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:25 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
She isn't being shamed because she is running, people would theoretically be more than happy to vote for a Jewish female candidate. If people are speaking out, it's because of things like this that she had promoted in the past: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDqa8BJOq3I

I was referring to the shaming comments people are making like sebastian made about her running to get attention but this video is good as well. What part of the video bothers you (and keep in mind that there are non-Jewish people who don't eat kosher living in the district as well)?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:28 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I was referring to the shaming comments people are making like sebastian made about her running to get attention but this video is good as well. What part of the video bothers you (and keep in mind that there are non-Jewish people who don't eat kosher living in the district as well)?

Ummm it bothers me that she publicly cheered on other (formerly frum) Jews for eating treif?

That should be self-explanatory on a frum website. I couldn't care what non-Jews eat, not sure what that has to do with it.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:33 pm
Ummm it bothers me that she's publicly encouraging other (formerly frum) Jews to eat treif?

That should be self-explanatory on a frum website. I couldn't care what non-Jews eat, not sure what that has to do with it.

She is not a Rabbi and doesn't control what other people do. But its nice that she is not dismissing/shunning Jews who are not religious and/or shaming them for not eating kosher.

How would you respond to this (formerly frum) girl if you were in this position?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:36 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
She is not a Rabbi and doesn't control what other people do. But its nice that she is not dismissing/shunning Jews who are not religious and/or shaming them for not eating kosher.

How would you respond to this (formerly frum) girl if you were in this position?

You really don't see the difference between not shunning someone vs. calling them up live with the explicit intention of airing this to all other Jews? You can see it was planned.

Did you even watch it? I would assume you didn't pay attention to it properly if this is your takeaway.

Either way, you're right she's not a Rabbi. That's why I wouldn't usually give a hoot at her. But, I certainly wouldn't vote for her to represent me.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:39 pm
delete

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 1:27 pm
You really don't see the difference between not shunning someone vs. calling them up live with the explicit intention of airing this to all other Jews? You can see it was planned.

Did you even watch it? I would assume you didn't pay attention to it properly if this is your takeaway.

Either way, you're right she's not a Rabbi. That's why I wouldn't usually give a hoot at her. But, I certainly wouldn't vote for her to represent me.

What I notice was that someone posted the video a day before the election presumably by an opponent or someone working for an opponent who wants to hurt Flatbushgirl. Is that really what you want in a candidate, someone who will go out of their way to hurt a Jew?

And I fail to see what your problem is with what is being said considering that there is a thread right here on imamother with amothers wishing they were secular. There are also Orthodox Jews eating imitation crab, kosher bacon or facon, imitation cheese, etc so if you have a problem with the fact that flatbushgirl discusses kosher "cheeseburger" then you I assume you would have a problem with many things going on in the Orthodox community that resembles the non-Jewish world.

But you still didn't answer my question, how would you respond to this (formerly frum) girl if you were in this position?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 2:00 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

The Kiruv way, inviting her, befriending her, not telling her it sounds YUM, and saying Im tempted, I might try it, even if she didnt mean it.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 2:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The Kiruv way, inviting her, befriending her, not telling her it sounds YUM, and saying Im tempted, I might try it, even if she didnt mean it.

So be fake? That is what I like about Flatbushgirl, she is not fake. We need more politicians like her instead of fake people who will say what you want to hear then do something completely different behind your back.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 2:50 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
So be fake? That is what I like about Flatbushgirl, she is not fake. We need more politicians like her instead of fake people who will say what you want to hear then do something completely different behind your back.

Like others, I dont feel shes a role model Id want for my family. Lets start with a girl who grew up in a very Yeshivish home, not sending her boys to a Yeshiva. Then using a picture with their Tzitzis out (I wonder if she used that picture in the non-Jewish areas), and husband priding himself that he went to Chaim Berlin. Something is off, no matter what her parents and grandmothers are saying to get her elected.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries