Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Popularizing a new kids Character and getting it attention

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 2:02 pm
Many years ago I came up with a design of a childrens doll that would teach kids how to live right/healthy. I sent letters with photos and description to toy manufacturers and nothing came of it.

I have this (crazy?) idea to get a human size outfit made just like the doll looks, and hire someone to dress up in it, and walk around Manhattan doing what this doll teaches to do (I dont want to give too much of the idea away).

With the limited amount of information Im giving, does this sound like it could lead to getting to the right people who would partner with me?

Any toy manufacturers here?

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 2:15 pm
Not a toy manufacturer.

But no, you don't want to walk around Manhattan promoting a toy that doesn't exist.

Unless, of course, you plan on manufacturing it yourself and are promoting your Indiegogo campaign or similar.

Walking around Manhattan = exposing your product to consumers, not maunfacturers.

If you're looking to market to manufacturers, you might do better by going to a toy manufacturing convention, or networking for a contact who will consider your idea.

In general, unsolicited ideas are not taken too seriously by manufacturers, publishers, etc.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 4:54 pm
Does anyone know what the minimum cost is to protect a doll design before I do anything public?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 5:32 pm
Step 1: make sure your doll and her lessons are still relevant.

Health is an ever-changing field.

crust

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 5:35 pm
Your idea is a good one and it definitly has potential.

You'll have to get it manufactured then maybe propose it to potential investors and then start marketing it.

The thing you are thinking about is about 1% of the "marketing strategy" of your product. You have a long way to go till there.

An idea usually has zero value.
Value is in the ability to Execute.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 6:34 pm
crust wrote:
Your idea is a good one and it definitly has potential.

You'll have to get it manufactured then maybe propose it to potential investors and then start marketing it.

The thing you are thinking about is about 1% of the "marketing strategy" of your product. You have a long way to go till there.

An idea usually has zero value.
Value is in the ability to Execute.

OK, what would your next step be?

Ive never done anything at all like this.

How do I find out who is, and get in touch with, knowledgeable, honest people so that I can go forward?

crust

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 6:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OK, what would your next step be?

Ive never done anything at all like this.

How to I find out who is, and get in touch with, knowledgeable, honest people so that I can go forward?

You can go up on LinkedIn and look for product developers. I know a few individuals that might be able to help you.
You can pm me.

Good luck!

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 6:43 pm
try to get on the tv show Shark Tank '
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 6:44 pm
you can make a go fund me

PurpleandGold

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 6:50 pm
Have you tried googling "how to market an idea to toy manufacturers"? Start there, maybe it will lead you to good reading material on this subject. I'm sure there is a protocol on how to approach potential manufacturers, how to create your sample doll, and how to present it. In these industries, if you do not follow the protocol for presenting your potential product, they will simply ignore you. Educating yourself on the whole process is how to start.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 6:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone know what the minimum cost is to protect a doll design before I do anything public?

Design patent? Utility patent? Copyright?

All different prices.

And remember, you cannot protect an idea. So you can protect your unique configuration of how your Betsy Wetsy pees, but someone else can still create Peter Pee-er, so long as it uses a different mechanism.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 7:39 pm
Think social media.

Or make a YouTube of character. If it goes viral, I’m sure a toy manufacturer would want to make it.

You may want to patent it, so no one can steal your idea.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 12:25 pm
PurpleandGold wrote:
Have you tried googling "how to market an idea to toy manufacturers"?

Thanks for this advice.

I came up with these steps:

2. Patent your toy idea through the United States Patent and Trademark Office. You can file your application online via the Patent Office's website. This is an essential step to protecting the copyright of your toy idea. If you cannot secure a patent, include in your dealings with a company the provision for a non-disclosure agreement. If your toy idea isn't protected, you may find someone else using it after a failed pitch

meeting.https://smallbusiness.chron.com/submit-product-ideas-toy-companies-12396.html

Id like to protect as mine the look of the doll, and the story behind it, what it stands for.

Even after reading up previously, I wasnt clear about which items can get a Patent and which cant. I remember looking into Patents and either it didnt apply to my idea (my doll doesnt do anything unique, it just looks unique and has an interesting story and message that parents would like) or it was too expensive.

Ideally Id need to get in touch with someone trustworthy who can guide me and tell me if theres potential here, and the cheapest way to protect an idea with unknown potential.

trixx

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 1:52 pm
I don't get these kinds of threads. Op, you're on the wrong site. If you want to be taken seriously, take yourself seriously and first research, read books, teach out to people online, and generally do your homework instead of expecting unqualified strangers to do it for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics