Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Jew in the City-1st Chasidic Jew To Go To Med School-Israel

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:20 pm

Lesia

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:38 pm
I’m not happy that he’s the first Chassidic guy to attend medical school. I’m actually very saddened that he’s only the first Chassidic guy to attend medical school since there surely are many others who are capable of going to medical school yet are limited by the education and personal choices available in the charedi world.

This is not something to celebrate and be excited over. This just highlights how upsetting the situation is. But of course I wouldn’t expect anything different from Jew in the City.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:41 pm
I personally know a couple of Chasidic guys that were my brothers classmates who have gone to med school and are practicing doctors in NY.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:44 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I personally know a couple of Chasidic guys that were my brothers classmates who have gone to med school and are practicing doctors in NY.

Me too

Lesia

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:47 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

They went to school in Israel or NY?

gingertop

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:50 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

The only Chassidim I know who went to medical school live in America. And I live in Israel. (Don't ask what I'm doing up now. Baby is sick) Haven't seen it here or heard of it at all.

Extremely unfortunate, especially because there are many chassidish extremely talented patient advocates who spend their entire days in hospital settings and they are respected by their kehillos. Why can't the same talents be used by others in those kehillos to learn formally and have a real career? It seems like one of those random rules where things are frowned upon because of cultural reasons rather than any rational set of principles.

Edit to add that I am very happy for this guy and I hope he sets a trend. Unfortunately, I've come to see that progress in this aspect is very slow around here. A lot of chareidi apologists like to talk about all the programs there are for frum men and women but when it comes down to it, such a tiny minority attends even the completely separate college classes and even from that minority, many are BTs or non-Israelis.

Last edited by gingertop on Tue, May 14 2019, 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blue

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:52 pm
Lesia wrote:
I’m not happy that he’s the first Chassidic guy to attend medical school. I’m actually very saddened that he’s only the first Chassidic guy to attend medical school since there surely are many others who are capable of going to medical school yet are limited by the education and personal choices available in the charedi world.

This is not something to celebrate and be excited over. This just highlights how upsetting the situation is. But of course I wouldn’t expect anything different from Jew in the City.

Just curious what you mean by you wouldn’t expect anything different from JITC?

Lesia

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:57 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Just curious what you mean by you wouldn’t expect anything different from JITC?

Her mission is to show the world how wonderful it is to be frum, and in the process she minimizes, whitewashes and ignores the problems and issues which are prevalent in the Chassidish and Yehivish communities.

Some of it is deliberate, and some of it is because she really doesn’t know much about those issues, which makes you wonder how effective a spokesperson she can actually be.

soap suds

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 9:09 pm
Lesia wrote:
Her mission is to show the world how wonderful it is to be frum, and in the process she minimizes, whitewashes and ignores the problems and issues which are prevalent in the Chassidish and Yehivish communities.

Some of it is deliberate, and some of it is because she really doesn’t know much about those issues, which makes you wonder how effective a spokesperson she can actually be.

There's no shortage of people who highlight our problems. Is it so terrible to have one individual who chooses to focuses on the beauty Judaism?

Lesia

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 9:27 pm
soap suds wrote:
There's no shortage of people who highlight our problems. Is it so terrible to have one individual who chooses to focuses on the beauty Judaism?

If it negatively affects the communities, then it is not admirable.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 9:33 pm
Lesia wrote:

How does her work negatively affect the community?

soap suds

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 9:34 pm
Lesia wrote:

How does it negatively affect the community?

oliveoil

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 10:02 pm
If this is true, I am genuinely flabbergasted.

It's 2019 and no one chassidic has been to med school in Israel?

I really find that unfathomable.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 10:17 pm
oliveoil wrote:
If this is true, I am genuinely flabbergasted.

It's 2019 and no one chassidic has been to med school in Israel?

I really find that unfathomable.

It was 8 years ago and 35 have been there since, that's what she says in the video.

oliveoil

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 10:25 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
It was 8 years ago and 35 have been there since, that's what she says in the video.

Haha. Thanks. That's what I get for not watching properly. Still pretty shocking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics