Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What can you tell me about Cincinnati?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 2:26 pm
We are strongly considering Cincinnati. What can you tell me rent wise, kosher food, and anything else about the from community?

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 3:19 pm
House prices: the main frum community includes extremely cheap houses (tiny 2bd homes for under $100K in Golf Manor) and extremely expensive homes ($600+K in Amberley). I think most frum families live in homes that are in the $250-450K range.

Kosher food: a meat restaurant (Kinneret Grill), a dairy South Indian restaurant (Amma's Kitche ), a bagel shop (Marx Hot Bagels), a JCC cafe (dairy, including pizza), a donut shop (Silverton donuts), and at least one Graeter's ice cream location. Two large kosher grocery delis (Kroger and Remke), as well as Costco and Trader Joe's.

Schools:
- CHDS (toddlers to 8th grade, Orthodox)
- Ohr Torah (3 year olds to 5th grade and growing, Orthodox, Montessori)
- Rockwern (toddlers to 7th or 8th grade, pluralistic Jewish).

The state of Ohio provides tuition vouchers for K-12, either based on where you live or income. I'll let other posters elaborate.

Jobs (copied from my post in the cheap tuition thread):
The Jewish community may be able to connect you or your husband with professional opportunities, depending on your experience and field of work.

In Cincinnati, we have Move2Cincy (more aimed at MO families) and Destination Cincinnati (more aimed at yeshivish families), both of which are happy to talk with prospective new families about the job market here and to make connections with other community members as appropriate.
www.move2cincy.org
www.destinationcincinnati.org

We also have an organization called Jewish Vocational Services that helps match people with job openings. They are happy to work with prospective families. www.jvscareers.org

Finally, you can always reach out to the local institutions directly. For example, I believe that both CHDS and Ohr Torah currently have teaching positions open for next year.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 5:43 pm
there are alsofood coops that people sometimes buy in bulk from.

I agree with the housing prices. The prices have really gone up, people used to pay a lot less.

You can reach out to the places mentioned for jobs but my dh who has a "professional job" had no luck that way and ended up getting jobs the old fashion way of online recruiters...

the way vouchers currently work is if you live in a failing school district you can get them. Both amberley and golf manor qualify. You get a certain amount paid towards your tuition and then you have to pay the rest. It's only for kindergarten and older. I am playing plenty of tuition, don't worry! If you are considered "low income" see online charts, the school, isn't allowed to charge you the difference. I heard that there is talk of changing the way it works but that's how it works now.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 8:52 pm
Feel free to reach out to me about voucher questions, I can almost help people in my sleep Wink

As an FYI, none of the dairy establishments are cholov yisroel as far as I know (some have pareve or CY options) if that matters.

Girls high school in existence for years, boys yeshiva is a hopeful to start in a couple of years.

Most people buy because renting isn't necessarily worth it, but moving into town, it's not a bad idea to start out renting. I don't know current rental market pricing.

One thing to keep in mind is if you do move with school age children, you will need to have established residency by July 31st and have all your EdChoice voucher information submitted by then to be eligible. Voucher is worth $4,650 for elementary, and $6,000 for high school.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 9:20 pm
sorry did not mean to ensue controversy

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 9:36 pm
what does "not quite there" mean- where are we trying to go?
Seriously though it would be helpful if people could clarify where they are hashkafically- what might considered too yesheivish to one person might be too modern for someone else. What type of community they are looking for or consider ideal, is also so relative.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 10:36 pm
Peach, can you explain what your rav does not approve of Cincinnati Kosher's policies? This is the first time I am ever hearing of this and I have a little bit of knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:36 am
I don't know what amother Peach was talking about, but Cincinnati Kosher is on the CRC list of approved hashgachas.

http://www.crcweb.org/agency_list.php

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 3:07 pm
not everyone holds by all hechsheirim on that. I know there's a different "local hechsher" where we used to live that's on crc's good list but not everyone held by it.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 3:13 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
not everyone holds by all hechsheirim on that. I know there's a different "local hechsher" where we used to live that's on crc's good list but not everyone held by it.

Of course not everyone. I'm not sure there's any hescher that exists that "everyone" holds by.

But someone anonymously insinuated that our vaad's kashrus is somehow problematic, and didn't identify any specific issue. So I'm citing the CRC list, which I know is widely respected.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 9:39 pm
(I know the vaad has consulted with CRC, OU, Star K and their respected poskim on various issues. I also know that policies by kashrus organizations may rely on kulos for the klal and an individual may choose to be machmir on certain matters...that doesn't mean the organization is not reliable. I also know the rav hamachshir is the only other person besides Rabbi Fishbane listed as contacts for the AKO. I cannot imagine what is unreliable. I appreciate the fact that the poster deleted her post.)

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 9:51 pm
Completely unrelated to Cincinnati, I live elsewhere and our local hashgacha is recognized by all the major kashrus organizations. Unfortunately, a number of people in our community who actually care about kashrus have recognized that the supervision is extremely lacking. And the rav hamachshir may look like a tzaddik and act like a tzaddik, but he turns a blind eye to things that are beyond the pale. Not standard agency kulos, way beyond that. The supervision is truly lax. I wish that things were different, but this is galus.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 10:02 pm
I am sorry to hear Sad Has anyone mentioned that to higher/more major kashrus organizations to see if anything can be done?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 10:09 pm
moving right along Wink a nice thing about Cincinnati is that the schools are inside the Jewish community so most people can walk to school if they want. It's also very pretty. I wish there was more sidewalks and streetlights. There are sidewalks by the schools but many streets don't have.

in terms of shuls- there are three
CZE- yesheivish
CST-MO
Golf Manor- has been around for awhile and recently got a new rabbi so trying to attract a younger crowd, not sure exactly where they will "end up".
CST and CZE are across the street from each other in Amberley and Golf Manor Synagogue is in golf manor.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 10:12 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I am sorry to hear Sad Has anyone mentioned that to higher/more major kashrus organizations to see if anything can be done?

I'm not sure. People have tried respectfully reaching out to the rav hamachshir to let him know of blatant violations, and it soon became clear that he was not interested. There's so much politics involved in kashrus and the minute someone has a problem with one hashgacha there's suspicion about an ulterior motive. That's not the case here, we have no skin in the game. At this point my dh vets out each establishment on his own before we eat out anywhere, which isn't necessarily a bad thing to get in the habit of anyway. But it saddens me that the situation is such.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 7:13 am
OP,

What else would you like to know?

Most houses here are 200-350. Rentals can be around 1500-2000 a month for a house, but it depends on the kind of house. Apartment rent I hear is very cheap, but there aren't many of them.

I wouldn't call the delis big, as pp said. They are fine. There is a moderate chalav yisroel selection and the prices aren't amazing, but we never feel deprived. Skipping yogurt is a small sacrifice for this amazing community.

If you like smaller (but not tiny) communities where everyone gets into school and there is less pressure, this could be a great option. If you are one if those who says its crazy to not have kosher food closer than a 12 minute drive and can't go without tons of amenities and restraunts, then this isn't for you.

And anyone who doesn't trust the Rav here (that's personally hard for me to imagine in this case), is definitely not a good fit for Cincinnati.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 8:40 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
OP,

What else would you like to know?

Most houses here are 200-350. Rentals can be around 1500-2000 a month for a house, but it depends on the kind of house. Apartment rent I hear is very cheap, but there aren't many of them.

I wouldn't call the delis big, as pp said. They are fine. There is a moderate chalav yisroel selection and the prices aren't amazing, but we never feel deprived. Skipping yogurt is a small sacrifice for this amazing community.

If you like smaller (but not tiny) communities where everyone gets into school and there is less pressure, this could be a great option. If you are one if those who says its crazy to not have kosher food closer than a 12 minute drive and can't go without tons of amenities and restraunts, then this isn't for you.

And anyone who doesn't trust the Rav here (that's personally hard for me to imagine in this case), is definitely not a good fit for Cincinnati.

What does "trust the Rav" mean? aren't there more than one?

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 8:52 am
the rabbi of the Yesheivish shul is also the head of the kashrus vad, on the community beis din and I believe on the vaad hachinuch for the main day school here and often his congregants will call him "the Rav." as I mentioned earlier there are two other shuls (not including lebavitch) . His shul is by far the largest in terms of congregation and the most right wing.

To clarify- the "Beis din" has all the shul rabbis on it and I think the MO shul rabbi is also on the vaad hachinuch for the day school but not sure. I don't send there.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:41 pm
Can anyone tell me more about the girl's high school? Hashkafa, tuition prices...

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:05 pm
Sorry for hijacking this thread. My family visits cities to see watch baseball in different stadiums. Cincinnati was our planned destination this year. How far is the airport from the Jewish community? How far from the ballpark? Well just stay for a few days and hope to eat out.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating