Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Pocketbook/Handbag
1  2  Next

forgetit

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 3:02 pm
I'm looking for something online that is classy with a bit of funk or trendy in it. If I have to choose between the two, I'll choose just classy, though. I have no clue whats in style so would appreciate advice.
Any ideas for where to shop or links would be hugely appreciated.
Want it to fit my phone, purse, siddur, and lunch. Water bottle too, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Last edited by forgetit on Tue, May 14 2019, 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 3:05 pm
Do you have a budget?
Not that I can help you but hopefully Fox can ;-D

forgetit

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 3:07 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Do you have a budget?
Not that I can help you but hopefully Fox can ;-D

No budget:) Anything for the right price, but brands really don't talk to me and I love a good deal.

studying_torah

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 3:56 pm
Okay I can finally do this....
"What does the fox say" (weirdest song ever but it applies here methinks Wink

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 9:45 pm
Kate Spade currently has their Surprise Sale going on now until May 20th. Save an additional 10% off with code EXTRAEXTRA when you spend $150. https://surprise.katespade.com.....Y3NkS*Y9qw&orsocode=RAN&utm_source=rakuten

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 10:01 pm
I just saw this and came to check what Fox said..... but to my surprise, she is silent as of yet.....

I also was thinking 'what does the fox say' but studying Torah beat me to it.
I had better get off Ima and finish my work.

forgetit

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 10:09 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
I just saw this and came to check what Fox said..... but to my surprise, she is silent as of yet.....

I also was thinking 'what does the fox say' but studying Torah beat me to it.
I had better get off Ima and finish my work.

Seems like I'm encroaching on a handbag monopoly here. Sad As soon as I make my purchase I'll gladly give it back.

studying_torah

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:38 pm
No no not what we meant at all, chas veshalom.
Fox always was the resident purse expert & gives loads of advice to everyone who is looking to buy. We just were sort of tagging her so she can help you figure out where & with what to get your money's worth.

She was sick though before yom tov & might not be up to replying.

Please enjoy whatever you end up buying!

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 10:10 am
I don't use any, but these are my favorite!! Very Happy

forgetit

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:39 am
yo'ma wrote:
I don't use any, but these are my favorite!! Very Happy

thanks! Talk about out of the box lifestyle brands! Don't think I ever saw anything like this. Smile

Last edited by forgetit on Wed, May 15 2019, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

forgetit

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:40 am
studying_torah wrote:
No no not what we meant at all, chas veshalom.
Fox always was the resident purse expert & gives loads of advice to everyone who is looking to buy. We just were sort of tagging her so she can help you figure out where & with what to get your money's worth.

She was sick though before yom tov & might not be up to replying.

Please enjoy whatever you end up buying!

Was just kidding. Smile Smile Smile
But yes, her advice would be nice, and I do hope she's feeling better.

studying_torah

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 5:04 pm
Oh good I thought I insulted you.

Fox

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 7:13 pm
I am never too sick to discuss handbags! I am confident that when my loved ones sit shiva for me at 120, I"YH, they'll be telling over my opinions about handbags. "You know, Fox was never a fan of Michael Kors bags," -- they'll call me Fox, of course -- they'll say sadly. And then all the women with Michael Kors bags will kick them further under their chairs, as if a dybbuk might sneer at them.

So onto the main even, ForgetIt.

I have not been invested with any power by Yael to approve or disapprove of the handbag choices of Imamothers. So you can buy whatever you like. Even a Michael Kors bag with one of those big honking logo charms.

IMHO, there are several directions you can go:

Luxury Designer Bags

Chanel, Louis Vuitton, and Hermes are the trifecta of luxury bags. I happen to be partial to Louis Vuitton (in the Epi finish, not the monogram). That's partly because I don't like most of the Chanel classics that well and the Hermes classics are crazily outside my price range, even used. Also, I was gifted with my first LV when I was a slip of the girl, and it lasted a full 30 years, so I'm a bit loyal.

The pros to luxury bags are that real handbag aficionados notice, and they will definitely treat you better as a result. I have tons of stories that I will save for another day. Btw, handbag aficionados in the presence of a truly fabulous handbag are not showing favoritism because they think you're rich; they're showing favoritism because they love handbags and love other people who love handbags.

Another pro is that these bags really do last a long, long time with minimal care. If you choose an iconic style, it will look just as good in 30 years as it does today.

If you want to go this route, buy a used bag from a reputable consignment dealer such as The Real Real or Yoogi's Closet. You can get a bag in near-perfect condition for a fraction of the retail price.

No fakes, knock-offs, or "styled like" bags, though. People who know handbags can spot most fakes a mile away.

Designer Bags
The second tier of handbags is composed of brands that are high-quality and respected, but do not have the long history and iconic status of the Big Three. Examples of these include Kate Spade, Mansur Gavriel, and Rebecca Minkoff.

These tend to have classic lines with an occasional trendy flourish, but they will hold up for a long time and don't look dated too quickly.

I'd also suggest looking for these second-hand, though the retail prices are not quite so ridiculous as the luxury designer bags.

I also like Tom Ford bags, though they are very expensive, IMHO, even on the second-hand market.

Custom and Unique Bags
But let's say you have no interest in luxury designer or even second-tier designer bags. You don't want to pay for the brand or in order to impress your plumber (my plumber happens to love handbags -- my pipes are in near-perfect condition thanks to his ministrations!).

The best bet in that case is to check out Etsy for a custom-made or artisan-made bag. You can often select the color and type of leather; the metal used in the hardware; the length of the handles, etc. You can sometimes even have the bag sized specifically to hold what you want and have it monogrammed.

A beautifully-made custom bag is actually more posh than a luxury designer bag. After all, it's not like Nicolas Ghesquière (creative chief at LV) sits down and thinks, "What kind of handbag should I design for Fox? What does she really need?" But someone creating a custom bag for you is doing that!

Trendy Bags
I'm against spending serious money on trendy bags. Bags with fringe, a million little zippers, a particular finish that's been declared to be in style . . . this is why the Ribono shel Olam gave us Target. Enjoy the trend with a bag that will wear out at the same time the trend does.

For additional research, check out Purse Forum. It's like Imamother but for handbags. Oh, and be sure to show us what you end up with. No fair cutting and running! Very Happy

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 7:29 pm
Fox wrote:
I am never too sick to discuss handbags! I am confident that when my loved ones sit shiva for me at 120, I"YH, they'll be telling over my opinions about handbags. "You know, Fox was never a fan of Michael Kors bags," -- they'll call me Fox, of course -- they'll say sadly. And then all the women with Michael Kors bags will kick them further under their chairs, as if a dybbuk might sneer at them.

So onto the main even, ForgetIt.

I have not been invested with any power by Yael to approve or disapprove of the handbag choices of Imamothers. So you can buy whatever you like. Even a Michael Kors bag with one of those big honking logo charms.

IMHO, there are several directions you can go:

Luxury Designer Bags

Chanel, Louis Vuitton, and Hermes are the trifecta of luxury bags. I happen to be partial to Louis Vuitton (in the Epi finish, not the monogram). That's partly because I don't like most of the Chanel classics that well and the Hermes classics are crazily outside my price range, even used. Also, I was gifted with my first LV when I was a slip of the girl, and it lasted a full 30 years, so I'm a bit loyal.

The pros to luxury bags are that real handbag aficionados notice, and they will definitely treat you better as a result. I have tons of stories that I will save for another day. Btw, handbag aficionados in the presence of a truly fabulous handbag are not showing favoritism because they think you're rich; they're showing favoritism because they love handbags and love other people who love handbags.

Another pro is that these bags really do last a long, long time with minimal care. If you choose an iconic style, it will look just as good in 30 years as it does today.

If you want to go this route, buy a used bag from a reputable consignment dealer such as The Real Real or Yoogi's Closet. You can get a bag in near-perfect condition for a fraction of the retail price.

No fakes, knock-offs, or "styled like" bags, though. People who know handbags can spot most fakes a mile away.

Designer Bags
The second tier of handbags is composed of brands that are high-quality and respected, but do not have the long history and iconic status of the Big Three. Examples of these include Kate Spade, Mansur Gavriel, and Rebecca Minkoff.

These tend to have classic lines with an occasional trendy flourish, but they will hold up for a long time and don't look dated too quickly.

I'd also suggest looking for these second-hand, though the retail prices are not quite so ridiculous as the luxury designer bags.

I also like Tom Ford bags, though they are very expensive, IMHO, even on the second-hand market.

Custom and Unique Bags
But let's say you have no interest in luxury designer or even second-tier designer bags. You don't want to pay for the brand or in order to impress your plumber (my plumber happens to love handbags -- my pipes are in near-perfect condition thanks to his ministrations!).

The best bet in that case is to check out Etsy for a custom-made or artisan-made bag. You can often select the color and type of leather; the metal used in the hardware; the length of the handles, etc. You can sometimes even have the bag sized specifically to hold what you want and have it monogrammed.

A beautifully-made custom bag is actually more posh than a luxury designer bag. After all, it's not like Nicolas Ghesquière (creative chief at LV) sits down and thinks, "What kind of handbag should I design for Fox? What does she really need?" But someone creating a custom bag for you is doing that!

Trendy Bags
I'm against spending serious money on trendy bags. Bags with fringe, a million little zippers, a particular finish that's been declared to be in style . . . this is why the Ribono shel Olam gave us Target. Enjoy the trend with a bag that will wear out at the same time the trend does.

For additional research, check out Purse Forum. It's like Imamother but for handbags. Oh, and be sure to show us what you end up with. No fair cutting and running! Very Happy

So nice to hear from you, Fox!

And thanks for the laughs

studying_torah

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 7:44 pm
Why don't u like MK? I'm not talking about logo bags, I hate them all but they have some very elegant classy ones.
So does coach. Honestly don't see much difference between Kate spade & mk or coach.

Btw, sometimes outlets have really good sales too.

Chanel is so old fashioned & old ladyish to me, sorry. And LV is so boring- brown & black logos all over.

I love the look of Gucci bags - minus the gold massive logos (please take them off gucci) but they're outside my price range. They're so fun though.

Fendi & Ferragamo are also my style, though a lot simpler, but again very costly.

Fox

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 8:00 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Why don't u like MK? I'm not talking about logo bags, I hate them all but they have some very elegant classy ones.

I'm not a huge fan of designers who sell their name in order to sell designer handbags without any real design. I really shouldn't pick on poor Michael Kors. He has enough problems already. And I agree, there are some great handbags out there before he tried to turn his logo into something iconic.

studying_torah wrote:
So does coach. Honestly don't see much difference between Kate spade & mk or coach.

I forgot about Coach! I love the Coach classic bags (which are available on eBay for a song and can be refurbished by the stores at little to no cost). I also love some of their newer stuff. Their logo stuff? Not so much.

studying_torah wrote:
Btw, sometimes outlets have really good sales too.

I tend to be a little suspicious of outlets because a lot of handbags are produced for direct-to-outlet sales. In fact, that's one of Michael Kors' tricks: the bags available in the outlet malls are created specifically to be sold to people who think they're getting a bargain.

studying_torah wrote:
Chanel is so old fashioned & old ladyish to me, sorry. And LV is so boring- brown & black logos all over.

I love the look of Gucci bags - minus the gold massive logos (please take them off gucci) but they're outside my price range. They're so fun though.

Fendi & Ferragamo are also my style, though a lot simpler, but again very costly.

I'm not particularly a Chanel fan, either -- all those chains getting caught on everything.

I'm also not a fan of LV monogram stuff -- too much counterfeit and too in-your-face. My first bag, when I was 20, was a monogram Speedy 30, but you need a certain youthful insouciance to carry if off, and my insouciance is long gone.

Gucci has been making a comeback since the days of Tom Ford, and they have some bags that I think rival Hermes for quality and understated elegance. I'd definitely check out Gucci, though again, not their monogram stuff.

Fendi seems overpriced to me (as does Prada), but I love, love, love Ferragamo. Honestly, there are so many brands that are really great. But definitely check out the secondary market. I like knowing that some rich lady was kind enough to break in my handbag for me!

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 8:41 pm
I'm not big on designers or trends. But I like nice bags and enjoy replacing often.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....98062

https://www.amazon.com/Top-han.....psc=1

yksraya

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 8:53 pm
I sometimes have luck at tj max. Although I like to buy that in the store so I can see it irl before I buy.

They sell designer stuff too sometimes.

studying_torah

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:15 pm
Honestly for a daily bag I don't care if it's made for the outlet. I really am harsh on my bags. So if I get an outlet one for less but it's still lasts me for years, I'm fine with that.

Not familiar with Prada bags; I loved a ferragamo one but aside from the cost, it was soooo heavy.

Fox

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:23 pm
studying_torah wrote:
I loved a ferragamo one but aside from the cost, it was soooo heavy.

I've heard that elsewhere, so I guess other people have that complaint, too.

One thing I didn't address this time in my handbag essay is thinking through what you're going to use the bag for and what kind of look you're going for.

For example, let's say you're looking for a bag to take every day on the subway and take a ton of abuse and possible exposure to unidentified substances. You're not going to do that with an expensive bag. You'll probably want one that's two steps above disposable.

On the other hand, if you're in sales or a similar field where image counts a lot, then a more expensive bag may make sense.

One of the reasons I'm into handbags is because I am the most relentlessly unfashionable person you'll ever meet otherwise. I work at home, so my "uniform" is a skirt and t-shirt. But when I do go out during the day for whatever reason, I don't want to look like I was interrupted from mopping my floor. So a fancy-shmancy bag and scarf dress me up a little and make me look like I'm at least making an effort.

Someone who is more consistently fashionable and well-dressed than I am probably has different priorities.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics