Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What is going on with vaping in Lakewood?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:37 pm
Please tell me why so many young boys are vaping e- cigs?

Why is this allowed??

How do they all get hold of the products?

Why is this okay???

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:39 pm
It's rampant in passaic too, even in the junior high school. Nothing is done to stop it.

groisamomma

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 8:57 pm
We pulled DS out of a yeshiva where 3 boys sat in the back of the classroom vaping while the so-called rebbe pretended not to see. 13 year olds!! Did I mention this is Lakewood's TOP mesivta with waiting lists of hundreds of boys? The rosh yeshiva chooses to be in total denial and parents use huge pull to put their son in an environment where this is okay. Then you wonder why your lovely "metzuyan" bochur is puffing away. Ugh.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 9:01 pm
Forgive me for my ignorance - what is so bad about vaping?

giselle

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 9:08 pm
Have I been living under a rock? Haven’t heard anything about this. And I have a teenage son.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 9:38 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:

Really I just think past nisht but there are indeed negative health consequences for the general populace.

See https://www.cancer.org/cancer/.....ml[b]

cy

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 4:18 am
There are diff levels of nicotine in the liquid that they are vaping. I have heard u can get the liquid (I think officially called juice) without nicotine at all in it. What is way worse is that tons of high school boys smoke regular cigarettes.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 4:21 am
Where does everyone get it from??

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 4:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where does everyone get it from??

Internet, older friends with credit cards, stores that don't care about checking ID, basically the same way kids always get things they're not old enough to have.

Nicotine is a mild stimulant that works a bit like ADD meds. It can keep you more alert during long, boring classes. If the rebbe was more exciting and engaging, maybe the boys in the back would be too interested in learning instead of vaping.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 4:27 am
cy wrote:
There are diff levels of nicotine in the liquid that they are vaping. I have heard u can get the liquid (I think officially called juice) without nicotine at all in it. What is way worse is that tons of high school boys smoke regular cigarettes.

My kids tell me that it's mostly vaping with flavored juice, no nicotine. I'm also more concerned about the cigarette usage.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 4:33 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
My kids tell me that it's mostly vaping with flavored juice, no nicotine. I'm also more concerned about the cigarette usage.

So you’re okay with your kids walking around (Street/house) vaping?

crust

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 4:34 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Internet, older friends with credit cards, stores that don't care about checking ID, basically the same way kids always get things they're not old enough to

All these tactics are not necassary.
As long as there is one boy that has an ID he becomes the agent and the official supplier for the entire yeshiva.

In some yeshivas, where no one is old enough to have an ID, there's an outside agent (agent= huge boy of 18 years old Smile ).

This is going on in every Yeshiva that I know.
I was also taken aback at first.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 4:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So you’re okay with your kids walking around (Street/house) vaping?

I'm not ok with a lot of stuff my kids do. One of my kids smokes (hes over 18) - I'm not ok with that at all. Doesnt seem to matter.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 4:38 am
crust wrote:
All these tactics are not necassary.
As long as there is one boy that has an ID he becomes the agent and the official supplier for the entire yeshiva.

In some yeshivas, where no one is old enough to have an ID, there's an outside agent (agent= huge boy of 18 years old Smile ).

This is going on in every Yeshiva that I know.
I was also taken aback at first.

This is boggling my mind. How are the schools and parents completely powerless?
Everyone is just sitting back and allowing it to happen?
Parents are okay with their 13 year old vaping????

little neshamala

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 4:52 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:

Apparently its dangerous too.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/.....etals

This article is one of many that dicuss the dangers of vaping. Vapers basically have high levels of dangerous metals (that are ingredients in vape juices) in their bodies.

There are other dangers as well, but this stuck out in my mind. Google it.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 4:52 am
It's been going on in Monsey as well, though I think the yeshivos are making a crackdown on it. It's so scary..... 13 year olds used to be happy little kids. It's sad and scary to what they're exposed to today.

crust

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 4:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is boggling my mind. How are the schools and parents completely powerless?
Everyone is just sitting back and allowing it to happen?
Parents are okay with their 13 year old vaping????

I assume most of the parents dont know because I dont know any parent in their right mind that would be ok with it.

You also have to remember that not every parent is listened to and that some boys have issues beyond vaping making it harder for the parents to address the vaping.

little neshamala

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 4:57 am
excerpts from the article link I posted above

“HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED, INHALED, OR ABSORBED THROUGH THE SKIN. STENCH.”
Unsurprisingly, the people who didn’t smoke and didn’t vape showed the lowest levels of these toxic chemicals in their pee. People who used e-cigarettes had roughly 19 percent more lead, 23 percent more of the heavy metal cadmium, 20 percent more pyrene (a biomarker of carcinogens that are linked to heart attacks), and 66 percent more acrylonitrile in their urine. The safety information for people working with acrylonitrile says: “Toxic if inhaled; May cause respiratory irritation; May cause cancer; Suspected of damaging fertility or the unborn child.” People who vaped every day showed higher levels of these substances than people who puffed every once in a while.

E-cigarette smokers’ pee also showed similar exposures to three volatile organic compounds: toluene, benzene, and carbon disulfide. Chemists take serious precautions to avoid inhaling these things in the lab. The safety information for people working with carbon disulfide, for example, says “Danger! This substance has caused adverse reproductive and fetal effects in animals....Harmful if swallowed, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin. Stench. May cause nervous system effects.”

So I think its safe to say every mother has reason to be very very concerned about this.
Vaping is not simply inhaling heated water.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 5:02 am
little neshamala wrote:
Apparently its dangerous too.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/.....etals

This article is one of many that dicuss the dangers of vaping. Vapers basically have high levels of dangerous metals (that are ingredients in vape juices) in their bodies.

There are other dangers as well, but this stuck out in my mind. Google it.

This is an excellent article. Lots of real science, without all the hysteria.

I vape, and I admit that it's not ideal. Part of being an adult, is the ability to make informed (or not informed) bad decisions. I am not OK with children vaping.

I don't do it in public, because I do not want anyone to think that I'm "promoting it" somehow. It's the same as if I had a glass of wine at home, but I wouldn't give it to a child, and I wouldn't drink it while waiting for the bus.

ectomorph

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 5:06 am
Kids need to rebel in every generation. Just think back to your own high school class.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics