Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
My 14 year old and food
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 9:50 am
How do I help my ds? He is not obese, but he is overweight. We went to the doctor and the doctor did not like his weight, glucose levels, and cholesterol. For a few weeks afterwards he was very careful and still is now, but it's the nighttime that's the killer. No matter what I say or do, he still has a midnight snack. Not at midnight, but you know what I mean. It's true he doesn't eat a lot by supper, but that's on him. There is enough. Last night, I found out he had almost a whole pack of rice cakes with diet jelly, a bowl of oatmeal, and a whole bottle of a diet drink. Surprised

I stopped buying cream cheese because he ate it like it was ice cream. He's pretty good during the day. It really bothers me, but what bothers me more is he makes me crazy
during the day of what he can and can't eat. Any ideas please?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 10:07 am
I understand him. I don't have much of an appetite during the day, but about an hour before bedtime I could eat a horse.

I make myself eat an apple with some almond butter, and that satisfies my craving for sweets and carbs, with a nice amount of protein too.

It takes a concerted effort not to go for ice cream, chips, or any other nosh I have in the house. I'm an adult and I know better, but it's still hard! (I have been known to eat cream cheese out of the tub with a spoon. embarrassed )

BTW, get rid of all the diet soda. Aspertame is known to be an appetite stimulant. People who drink diet soda consume more overall calories in a meal than people who drink sugar soda. The Aspertame confuses your brain and your insulin levels, and the chemicals are just not good for you in general.

Get him used to cold water from the fridge, with a squeeze of fresh lemon or a sprig of fresh mint. It's getting hot outside, so this is the perfect time to switch him over.

Have pre-cut carrot sticks available, and your own home made dips. If there is enough salt and garlic in the dip, no one will know that it's not the bad-for-you-kind. For a really creamy dip, puree silken tofu with some oil, vinegar, and season to taste.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 10:47 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I understand him. I don't have much of an appetite during the day, but about an hour before bedtime I could eat a horse.

I make myself eat an apple with some almond butter, and that satisfies my craving for sweets and carbs, with a nice amount of protein too.

It takes a concerted effort not to go for ice cream, chips, or any other nosh I have in the house. I'm an adult and I know better, but it's still hard! (I have been known to eat cream cheese out of the tub with a spoon. embarrassed )

BTW, get rid of all the diet soda. Aspertame is known to be an appetite stimulant. People who drink diet soda consume more overall calories in a meal than people who drink sugar soda. The Aspertame confuses your brain and your insulin levels, and the chemicals are just not good for you in general.

Get him used to cold water from the fridge, with a squeeze of fresh lemon or a sprig of fresh mint. It's getting hot outside, so this is the perfect time to switch him over.

Have pre-cut carrot sticks available, and your own home made dips. If there is enough salt and garlic in the dip, no one will know that it's not the bad-for-you-kind. For a really creamy dip, puree silken tofu with some oil, vinegar, and season to taste.

Diet soda, he bought it himself and hid it from me. Not that well obviously Wink . He does drink water otherwise.

I started having ready made cut vegetables in the fridge in separate containers for a fast and easy salad. He has been eating more salad because of it, but not only.

Thank you!

amother
Green

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 10:57 am
It sounds like he’s insulin resistant/pre-diabetic.
Or even diabetic already.
If he takes care of this early he’s still young enough to completely reverse this.
Please understand that his weight problem is just a symptom to a deeper problem.

What is he eating throughout the day?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:02 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
It sounds like he’s insulin resistant/pre-diabetic.
Or even diabetic already.
If he takes care of this early he’s still young enough to completely reverse this.
Please understand that his weight problem is just a symptom to a deeper problem.

What is he eating throughout the day?

I know he is and he knows it too. He doesn't have bh, but the doctor said he has to be very careful because of it. He has another blood test to do in a month and we hope to see a difference. He's petrified because of it, but it doesn't seem to stop him or at least he checks the sugar and fat content. I tell him about portion control, but it's out of control.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:31 am
evening eating is often emotional eating... is he trying to fill a void?

Sebastian

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:59 am
it sounds like he's binging b/c he feels too restricted during the day.

oliveoil

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 12:17 pm
There's no way it is healthy for you to be this caught up in what your 14 year old is eating.

And he's already hiding food from you. That's your flashing neon warning sign that you're going about things the wrong wrong way.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 12:38 pm
Is this new behavior or has it been a progression over the last several years?

Unless he's asking for help, you should probably not get involved beyond buying nutritious food to have at home and preparing nutritious meals for the whole family. The more emotionally involved anyone gets in his eating habits, the more difficult it will be for him to change those habits. He needs the space to make his own choices.

amother
Green

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 12:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know he is and he knows it too. He doesn't have bh, but the doctor said he has to be very careful because of it. He has another blood test to do in a month and we hope to see a difference. He's petrified because of it, but it doesn't seem to stop him or at least he checks the sugar and fat content. I tell him about portion control, but it's out of control.

The problem with insulin is that it’s the hormone that makes you hungry and is responsible for fat storage.
Every time he has food that spikes his insulin it makes him hungrier and hungrier and everything he eats will go directly into fat storage.
No mater how much food he eats, if it’s spiking insulin, he won’t be satisfied.
Bread, pasta, potatoes, fruit, even beans, so called healthy food, will spike insulin.

It’s not emotional, he’s pushet hungry, and gets hungrier and hungrier with every bite. It’s not his fault.

In general what is he eating through out the day.

dankbar

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 1:43 pm
Take him to a nutritionist to make healthy meal plans for him. Make sure to have those foods in the house. Let him take control.

Rice cake spikes sugar like crazy.

He needs lots of protein & veg to keep him full & stop him from craving

Hatzlacha!

cbg

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 2:05 pm
dankbar wrote:
Take him to a nutritionist to make healthy meal plans for him. Make sure to have those foods in the house. Let him take control.

Rice cake spikes sugar like crazy.

He needs lots of protein & veg to keep him full & stop him from craving

Hatzlacha!

And Healthy FAT-

dankbar

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 2:07 pm
cbg wrote:
And Healthy FAT-

That would make cream cheese totally fine

amother
Rose

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 2:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do I help my ds? He is not obese, but he is overweight. We went to the doctor and the doctor did not like his weight, glucose levels, and cholesterol. For a few weeks afterwards he was very careful and still is now, but it's the nighttime that's the killer. No matter what I say or do, he still has a midnight snack. Not at midnight, but you know what I mean. It's true he doesn't eat a lot by supper, but that's on him. There is enough. Last night, I found out he had almost a whole pack of rice cakes with diet jelly, a bowl of oatmeal, and a whole bottle of a diet drink. Surprised

I stopped buying cream cheese because he ate it like it was ice cream. He's pretty good during the day. It really bothers me, but what bothers me more is he makes me crazy
during the day of what he can and can't eat. Any ideas please?

If he’d be willing to go on the Keto diet (high protein, high fat, low carb) it would totally eliminate his obvious cravings for carbs and sugar and his appetite too. It’s the only type of diet that does that.

amother
Green

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 2:31 pm
dankbar wrote:
That would make cream cheese totally fine

Yup
You can make him cheese cake with real cream cheese and real sour cream yum

In the a absense of carbs/sugar though

He needs to be willing to do it
Unfortunately it’s an all or nothing program

cbg

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 8:20 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
If he’d be willing to go on the Keto diet (high protein, high fat, low carb) it would totally eliminate his obvious cravings for carbs and sugar and his appetite too. It’s the only type of diet that does that.

BTW, keto is high fat, MODERATE protein, very low carb. Carnivore is high protein, high fat, and extremely low carb.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 8:28 am
Keto is not a healthy diet- especially for children. My daughter is on it for her epilepsy and she needs to have blood work and bone scans every couple of months. She takes many vitamins because she’s not getting many from the allowed foods. I would not recommend it at all.
Weight watchers has come up with a teenagers diet.

dankbar

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 8:57 am
Meisels has a diet geared for diabetics. They have dieticians that deal with teenagers as well. They give more carb allowance for growing children.

cbg

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 7:35 am
dankbar wrote:
Meisels has a diet geared for diabetics. They have dieticians that deal with teenagers as well. They give more carb allowance for growing children.

Do they have a website?
Please link
Super interested

dankbar

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 8:53 am
Goldy Schnitzer 347-262-8611 does it in Bklyn. Give her a call. He has different people doing it in different areas
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise