Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Strong smell

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 12:49 pm
We had a couple stay in our guestroom last week and after shabbos when I went in to clean the room I was hit with such a strong odor. I couldn’t breathe. It smelled like they sprayed a whole bottle of air refreshener or plugged one into the wall. We checked all outlets and nothing was there. My baby sleeps in that room and I didn’t feel like it was safe for him so moved him into my room for few nights. It’s already over a week and the smell is still there. Please help me figure out what they did in the room so I can get rid of the smell!!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 1:01 pm
Keep all the windows open. Put in an exhaust fan in the window if you have one.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 1:34 pm
Charcoal might help absorb the odor. I used that to take out the gross mothball smell in my grandmother's furniture when it came to our house. I wonder if a perfume bottle broke or something. Sounds awful.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 1:35 pm
Ask them

amother
Blush

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 2:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We had a couple stay in our guestroom last week and after shabbos when I went in to clean the room I was hit with such a strong odor. I couldn’t breathe. It smelled like they sprayed a whole bottle of air refreshener or plugged one into the wall. We checked all outlets and nothing was there. My baby sleeps in that room and I didn’t feel like it was safe for him so moved him into my room for few nights. It’s already over a week and the smell is still there. Please help me figure out what they did in the room so I can get rid of the smell!!

Meanwhile I just had body work done on my car 10 days ago and there’s such a strong smell I can’t get out either.,,,what to do?

SisterSix

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 2:44 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Ask them

DO NOT ASK THEM!!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 2:48 pm
OP, did you wash the linen? It could be their fabric softener they use and it absorbed into the linens from their pajamas or something.

Beyla

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 2:54 pm
I would just wash everything. I once had an elderly guest who left a very strong body odor in the living room after Shabbos. It only left after we cleaned the couch.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 3:38 pm
Try this: Nok-Out

I have never used it myself, but have heard people rave about it for removing all kinds of odors.

yksraya

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 4:20 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Charcoal might help absorb the odor. I used that to take out the gross mothball smell in my grandmother's furniture when it came to our house. I wonder if a perfume bottle broke or something. Sounds awful.

Yeah I also think perfume got spilled!

Tof Umachol

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 4:25 pm
I would try lighting a candle in the room and letting it burn for a few hours. That takes away most odors.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 5:10 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
OP, did you wash the linen? It could be their fabric softener they use and it absorbed into the linens from their pajamas or something.

No I didn’t. I just took it off and it’s in a pile on edge of bed. Thanks I’ll wash it now.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 5:11 pm
yksraya wrote:

This also makes a lot of sense.

sarahmalka

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 7:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

OP the exact same thing happened to me!! Smelled like they sprayed Febreze or something. It was in my preschooler's room and even she complained about it when she moved back in. I washed the linens but it still took weeks for the smell to dissipate.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 8:52 pm
Beyla wrote:
I would just wash everything. I once had an elderly guest who left a very strong body odor in the living room after Shabbos. It only left after we cleaned the couch.

This.
I hope it all clears up soon!

Sunny Days

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 9:11 pm
yksraya wrote:

this is how my babys room smells all the time. its yuck & smell doesn't leave. I can have all windows open in the room but it just lingers. I don't even dare touch the chair where the smell most likely is embedded.

Good luck op. hope you get rid of the smell real fast...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics