Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Now she's immune, but will her baby survive?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 10:49 pm
keym wrote:
Does anyone know any names to daven for?

I know the names. I am not comfortable posting without family permission.

Your willingness to doven is touching. Thank you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 10:53 pm
nchr wrote:
I just said a kapitel tehillim for them and all of Klal Yisroel.

Thank you

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 10:57 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
This may be the same story. My coworkers sister just delivered a baby at 25 weeks while having the measles. The baby was born because her water broke and they did an emergency c section. Baby is less than two.pounds but expected to survive bh.

It probably is the same situation. I was told the baby was born 1lb 5 oz.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:03 pm
yksraya wrote:
Oy! Really sad. No words. Dunno what to say even!

Note: have you realised how suddenly the antivaxers don't have what to say for themselves?!?!

Yeah, and no one is complaining about starting a separate thead.

chestnut

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Chestnut, you're right it won't. This is the third family tragedy.

I spoke to the grandma 15 years ago about a married son. I tried to tell her that his problems are linked to the mumps he had. She still had little ones at home including this mom. I asked her if she doesn't think she should vax the kids.

Omg, the 3rd tragedy in the same family because of no vaccination?? Beyond sad

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:35 pm
chestnut wrote:
Omg, the 3rd tragedy in the same family because of no vaccination?? Beyond sad

I think that if I pressed her years ago about the mumps maybe she would have vaxed. But then I think nothing I said would have changed her mind even a story like this one.

pizzapie

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It probably is the same situation. I was told the baby was born 1lb 5 oz.

Who knows? Babies born at 25 weeks are less than 2 pounds. This is absolutely tragic, my heart breaks for the mother of this baby. I'm really hoping there aren't multiple stories like this. And since she has the measles I'm sure she won't be allowed to visit her very fragile baby in the nicu.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know these people personally. I have been in their house 100 times and go to their simchas.

The baby is hanging in there BH. The mother can't stop crying. She is going through this while she has the measles. No one wants her or her other kids around. She can't go to a kimpertunim home.

Where's the grandmother now to help out? She gets all the credit now after all.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:58 pm
That is the precise reason I am. anti vax and not just pro choice. She should have gotten measles at five years old but because measles wasn't circulating she couldn't get it then

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:02 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
That is the precise reason I am. anti vax and not just pro choice. She should have gotten measles at five years old but because measles wasn't circulating she couldn't get it then

At which point she had the choice to vaccinate. BTW, measles makes its rounds every few years. There was measles in NYC within the last 15 years. If you don't make it your business to go and get the measles, make it your business to vaccinate. Going into marriage/pregnancy un-immune is irresponsible. I am also against vaccines but this situation should not have happened. Everyone makes choices and if you choose to not vaccinate, you need to own your choices, not blame the fact that everyone else vaccinated and that's why she isn't naturally immune.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:12 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
At which point she had the choice to vaccinate. BTW, measles makes its rounds every few years. There was measles in NYC within the last 15 years. If you don't make it your business to go and get the measles, make it your business to vaccinate. Going into marriage/pregnancy un-immune is irresponsible. I am also against vaccines but this situation should not have happened. Everyone makes choices and if you choose to not vaccinate, you need to own your choices, not blame the fact that everyone else vaccinated and that's why she isn't naturally immune.

I absolutely agree. I know a family who is extremely anti vax and vaccinated girls when engaged for rubella and measles if not caught.
I also know someone who vaccinated boys for mumps at 10 if not caught

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:13 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Where's the grandmother now to help out? She gets all the credit now after all.

Grandmother has her other kids. No one else wants to be near them. Great grandmother, who is with grandmother often, is fragile. Iy'h she is vaxed.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:14 am
I absolutely agree. I know a family who is extremely anti vax and vaccinated girls when engaged for rubella and measles if not caught.

Hey maybe we know the same family Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:15 am

What about the mumps? Her brother got them years before he got married.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:15 am

Why would they do that? Because they think measles during pregnancy is more dangerous than the vaccine, but at any other time the vaccine is more dangerous than measles?

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:23 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Why would they do that? Because they think measles during pregnancy is more dangerous than the vaccine, but at any other time the vaccine is more dangerous than measles?

Yes. Measles is a childhood disease.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:58 am

Right, a potentially fatal childhood disease.

I always thought the whole anti-vaxx thing was that they wanted to avoid the risk of vaccine injury and figured that the chance of getting measles was low anyway because most people are vaccinated. But the more I have been reading now with the current situation I found out that anti-vaxxers (some? all?) actually WANT their kids to get measles. Boggles my mind. But I guess they don't know anyone who almost died of encephalitis due to measles like my close relative almost did as a child before there was a vaccine.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:05 am

There is no concept that measles is a requirement of childhood. "Childhood disease" is just descriptive. Before measles was for the most part under control it spread amongst children - who mostly grew up to be adults who had immunity to it... but then there were the ones who never grew up.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:06 am

Should she also have gotten smallpox? Should we bring it back?

youngishbear

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:29 am
I'm curious if anti-vaxxers don't see the true eradication of measles as a goal worth working towards.

I understand they prefer "natural immunity" for the measles survivors rather than "forced immunity" for 97% from vaccination. But given the choice of eradicating measles altogether versus children battling the disease while parents hope it doesn't leave lifelong damage, which do they prefer?
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics