Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Pocketbook/Handbag
Previous  1  2

DrMom

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 9:50 pm
I'm not a handbag person at all, but I think those classic tan LV handbags with the brown LV logo on them are so ugly.

I'm sure they are very well-made, but IMO they are not attractive at all. I can't imagine that people actually pay hundreds of dollars for them. You'd have to pay me to carry that in public.

forgetit

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 10:58 pm
Fox wrote:
I am never too sick to discuss handbags! I am confident that when my loved ones sit shiva for me at 120, I"YH, they'll be telling over my opinions about handbags. "You know, Fox was never a fan of Michael Kors bags," -- they'll call me Fox, of course -- they'll say sadly. And then all the women with Michael Kors bags will kick them further under their chairs, as if a dybbuk might sneer at them.

So onto the main even, ForgetIt.

I have not been invested with any power by Yael to approve or disapprove of the handbag choices of Imamothers. So you can buy whatever you like. Even a Michael Kors bag with one of those big honking logo charms.

IMHO, there are several directions you can go:

Luxury Designer Bags

Chanel, Louis Vuitton, and Hermes are the trifecta of luxury bags. I happen to be partial to Louis Vuitton (in the Epi finish, not the monogram). That's partly because I don't like most of the Chanel classics that well and the Hermes classics are crazily outside my price range, even used. Also, I was gifted with my first LV when I was a slip of the girl, and it lasted a full 30 years, so I'm a bit loyal.

The pros to luxury bags are that real handbag aficionados notice, and they will definitely treat you better as a result. I have tons of stories that I will save for another day. Btw, handbag aficionados in the presence of a truly fabulous handbag are not showing favoritism because they think you're rich; they're showing favoritism because they love handbags and love other people who love handbags.

Another pro is that these bags really do last a long, long time with minimal care. If you choose an iconic style, it will look just as good in 30 years as it does today.

If you want to go this route, buy a used bag from a reputable consignment dealer such as The Real Real or Yoogi's Closet. You can get a bag in near-perfect condition for a fraction of the retail price.

No fakes, knock-offs, or "styled like" bags, though. People who know handbags can spot most fakes a mile away.

Designer Bags
The second tier of handbags is composed of brands that are high-quality and respected, but do not have the long history and iconic status of the Big Three. Examples of these include Kate Spade, Mansur Gavriel, and Rebecca Minkoff.

These tend to have classic lines with an occasional trendy flourish, but they will hold up for a long time and don't look dated too quickly.

I'd also suggest looking for these second-hand, though the retail prices are not quite so ridiculous as the luxury designer bags.

I also like Tom Ford bags, though they are very expensive, IMHO, even on the second-hand market.

Custom and Unique Bags
But let's say you have no interest in luxury designer or even second-tier designer bags. You don't want to pay for the brand or in order to impress your plumber (my plumber happens to love handbags -- my pipes are in near-perfect condition thanks to his ministrations!).

The best bet in that case is to check out Etsy for a custom-made or artisan-made bag. You can often select the color and type of leather; the metal used in the hardware; the length of the handles, etc. You can sometimes even have the bag sized specifically to hold what you want and have it monogrammed.

A beautifully-made custom bag is actually more posh than a luxury designer bag. After all, it's not like Nicolas Ghesquière (creative chief at LV) sits down and thinks, "What kind of handbag should I design for Fox? What does she really need?" But someone creating a custom bag for you is doing that!

Trendy Bags
I'm against spending serious money on trendy bags. Bags with fringe, a million little zippers, a particular finish that's been declared to be in style . . . this is why the Ribono shel Olam gave us Target. Enjoy the trend with a bag that will wear out at the same time the trend does.

For additional research, check out Purse Forum. It's like Imamother but for handbags. Oh, and be sure to show us what you end up with. No fair cutting and running! Very Happy

Wow! I wasn't expecting a THESIS. LOL LOL This sure is informative.
Thanks to everyone else as well, for chiming in and for the links.
Gonna get to decision making time soon.

Last edited by forgetit on Wed, May 15 2019, 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

forgetit

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:05 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Oh good I thought I insulted you.

Not at all. That doesn't happen all that easily. It would take you a large, concentrated, deliberate effort to accomplish that.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:08 pm
I love the brand Braccalini. It is hard to find in the US. The NY flagship store closed. I got one at Daffy's -A"H, almost 15 years ago-I still love it and it is my favorite bag, but my teenage DD is not stealing it. It is a bag with a ton of personality. A year ago, I "needed" a plain black leather tote for work, but it isn't really plain-there are embossed, leather, and suede panels. It is simple but not boring. I love to browse their website. They are definitely different bags. Some (most) I think are horrible but some are just gorgeous. It has to speak to you and you love it for yourself, it is not the "one to get", because you want to have "the right bag".

If you are asking what to get, it is probably not what you are looking for, but fun to see. (Currently the Tema Lotus, Jasmine in black with flowers, Grace b/w, Kate -black/yellow and Penelope black flowers- love the yellow and the white, but I wouldn't have the confidence to go that far).

Fox

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:16 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I love the brand Braccalini. It is hard to find in the US.

I haven't seen these in ages, but they're gorgeous. They seem to have a website, so they can be ordered. The plain totes remind me a little of the Mansur Gavriel aesthetic.

Fox

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:18 pm
forgetit wrote:
Wow! I wasn't expecting a THESIS. LOL LOL This sure is informative.
Thanks to everyone else as well, for chiming in and for the links.
Gonna get to decision making time soon.

See? You'll never make that mistake again! It's always a mistake to ask my opinion about handbags or the NY Regents System.

forgetit

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:22 pm
Fox wrote:
See? You'll never make that mistake again! It's always a mistake to ask my opinion about handbags or the NY Regents System.

We just need to pin your response somewhere so everyone can get educated about the joys. Smile Smile

amother
Gold

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:34 pm
Fox wrote:
I haven't seen these in ages, but they're gorgeous. They seem to have a website, so they can be ordered. The plain totes remind me a little of the Mansur Gavriel aesthetic.

Is it nuts that I feel so validated that Fox likes my taste in handbags?!?!?

Ordering is tricky- I think you may need to deal with customs-sounds insane but that's what they told me when I tried to order.
I found mine on YOOX. Have seen on occasion at TJMaxx, eBay or searching the internet.
BTW- do not pay the list price or anything like that.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:55 pm
I don't know anything about the brand Gold but this is stunning.
https://www.braccialini.it/en/.....0-UNI

teachkids

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:03 am
I've found a great selection of bags at decent prices at century 21. Not sure were you live and if that's a choice. I like to pick my bags out in person,online doesn't work for me.

iyar

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 4:03 am
Enjoying the crash course in handbags.
Fox, do you have an opinion on Furla? Dooney and Bourke? Longchamps?
Anybody besides Fox please chime in too if you have advice.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 6:07 am
Fox wrote:
I've heard that elsewhere, so I guess other people have that complaint, too.

One thing I didn't address this time in my handbag essay is thinking through what you're going to use the bag for and what kind of look you're going for.

For example, let's say you're looking for a bag to take every day on the subway and take a ton of abuse and possible exposure to unidentified substances. You're not going to do that with an expensive bag. You'll probably want one that's two steps above disposable.

Ooh, I said I can't help OP but this I can help with!
Go to your local Purple Heart or other thrift shop. Bonus points if you have a half off coupon. For $8-10 dollars pre coupon you can get some pretty respectable looking stuff from Kohl's or Targets. (Check zippers, for peeling, etc.) One I go to has a section for nicer stuff but you're not going to find https://www.braccialini.it/en/.....0-UNI (the link above; I'm heartened that we're talking under $500 though I fargin greater splurges too).

There are for-profit resale stores I go to. If you want to spend a little more (think Target or Kohl's sale prices) you can get beautiful bags, again, not like the link above, but something different, lovely quality, that wouldn't devastate you if it didn't last...uh....30 years.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 12:08 am
Bringing this thread up to mention Ralph Lauren bags, they have some less expensive fun ones for summer (navy & white look so fresh) and other more classic but expensive ones.

top mom

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 1:16 am
Fox, I Love the way you're so PASSIONATE Very Happy and KNOWLEDGEABLE Very Happy regarding handbags. You sound like an awesome person!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics